• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First .308 AR Need Advise!!!

seafury

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
CA
Hey all,

Well I aquired a JD Machine stripped .308 upper/lower at my local fun show as a project for me and my dad to have some fun with. I have been researching parts and reviews related to the rifle but as many of you know, this can be a challenge. I was hopeing I could enlist the vast knoledge base of this site to help me with the struggle.

The goal of this build is to have a reliable semi-auto precision rifle capable of making hits out to 800 yds or so. Of coarse this will be after considerable time behind the trigger on my part.

The JD Machine upper/lower uses DPMS parts which I'm guessing is a good thing for availability reasons.

With that said, what are some good resources I should be looking at in terms of websites and manufacturers? What parts would you put on if it was your rifle? What would you recomend for a LPK? BCG? Barrel? Hand guard? etc...

As far as budget, I am willing to spend what is needed to make it a reliable, precise rifle. It will be a go to gun if you will.

Once again, thank you all for the wisdom you share. It will help to make this a rewarding father/son project.

Re: First .308 AR Need Advise!!!

You are correct about the DPMS availibility. It's comparable to the SR-25 platform, and is not a propietary design like Armalite. Buy the Magpul 20 round P-MAG usually about 20 bucks + or -. If the rifle is only used for target shooting, I personally would go with a Krieger, Hart, Lothar, ect. barrel and decide if you want a break or flash hider on the end, Wilson Combat Single stage trigger, or something to that effect. I am not one for adjustible triggers, due to my inherit fear of the little screws coming out. Magpull PRS Stock, look at various websites like POF, Mega Arms, TROY industries, DPMS, ranier Arms, JP Enterprises, Midway USA, Spikes Tactical ect. for your fore arm.Also they may offer the lower parts kit you need. I have heard good things about Slash Heavy buffers and springs, and decide what kind of bi-pod you want, I use a Harris swivile with the noctched legs. Then you get to drop money on a scope. Liberty Optics/ SWFA or other Snipers Hide Supporters. Understand this is your build, and there are other knowledgible members in here that will give thier advice and are as good as if not a better source of knowledge than myself, but at leaset this will get you started.

Thank you for the advise. I had to create a new account because my first one would never remember my password and I would have to get a temp every time.

I suppose I will start with the barrel. I have a thing for shorter barrels, especially on precision rifles which is kind of odd I guess. Just off the top of my head I was thinking 18" for better accuracy. Could I go shorter? Maybe 16" like the LMT MWS and still retain good performance? Thoughts?

Definitely going with a Harris bipod. I have the 6-9 swivel, notched on my bolt gun and love it.

I agree on the trigger. Something simple, single stage, breaks nice yet reliable.

Glass is up in the air at the moment. Something nice though along the lines of your suggestions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warbird guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the advise. I had to create a new account because my first one would never remember my password and I would have to get a temp every time.</div></div> Make sure you PM the mods if you haven't already as you'll get the boot for having multiple accounts.

Multiple Account Warnings Thread

Just trying to look out for you.

ETA: As for your other questions, a shorter barrel will yield you shorter range with the reduced velocity, and I wouldn't go shorter than 18" if you plan on using it for long range precision and 20" is even better. Me personally, if I'm not going to be utilizing the rifle in a situation where the shorter barrel would be a necessity, then I wouldn't do it.

Have you considered the EDM VR-10 308 semi-auto

A POF .308 is very reliable and is piston driven. It is very well regarded.