• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First 308 reloads. important question!

jmichael99

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
In researching different loads iv seen a good many people trim brass for 308winchester to 2.016. Is this safe? My brass is between 2.010-2.016.

I of course will seat the bullet to an OAL of 2.810

Re: First 308 reloads. important question!

Measure your chamber with the Sinclair chamber length gauge just to be safe. But in all actuality 2.016 should be fine, my chamber length is 2.029.

Checking your chamber with the above mentioned part is THE answer to this question.

FWIW I cut mine down to 2.005" and when I'm done with chamfering both sides they are pretty close to 2.00". I reload 6 or 7 times prior to trimming again at 2.020"+

If 0.015" of neck bearing surface or tension make THAT much difference I've never seen it. HOWEVER 0.015" will make a HUGE difference if you are into the leade of your rifle.

TIFWIW, YRMV etc. etc.

Cheers,

Doc

Oh, did I mention I HATE to trim brass
laugh.gif

Unless you know your rifle's exact chamber length, I would stick with the published specs for case length, which is 2.015. I don't think 2.016 is unacceptable fact is I'd be surprised if it is unacceptable. But it's always best to stay with the standard specs unless you have experience and a good reason not to.

JMHO.

I had originally wrote "bullet" instead of "case"

First, follow the suggestions of the persons who have already responded to your question. After having done that, consider doing this. If you're talking about just a few rounds (100 or less), measure them all and then determine how you can get close to having all of them the same length.

If you're working with a large amount of brass and you have already determined the max length that you want to trim to, consider separating them into separate batches. I buy my brass in bulk; often by the thousand. I don't trim to length until they have been once fired. It's rarely much of a problem and I really have not discovered a huge difference in performance between the batches of cases that are a few thousandths longer, especially with the .308. I know that the guys who are chasing the lands in their rifles like that extra length but I have not found it necessary in my rifles.

The max case length for the .308 is 2.015. Trim to length is 2.005. And I agree with what is posted above; 2.015 should be safe but you will not know unless you actually measure your chamber. I also hate to trim brass but I will always trim when I approach .005 of max length. I figure one of the reasons that I reload is for the accuracy and accuracy comes from consistency.

The max case length for the .308 is 2.015. Trim to length is 2.005. And I agree with what is posted above; 2.015 should be safe but you will not know unless you actually measure your chamber. I also hate to trim brass but I will always trim when I approach .005 of max length. I figure one of the reasons that I reload is for the accuracy and accuracy comes from consistency.

Just remember that the more you trim off the case the bigger the carbon ring at the front of the chamber.

Measure first and then just keep case shorter than the chamber. You don't even need to buy a gauge. Take one of those furniture dent hiding crayons and put some on the bullet of a finished cartridge. Make a ridge from case mouth out 1/4" or so on the bullet and even with the OD of the case. Chamber the round and then remove.

You'll see clearly how much more room you have to let the case neck grow. Candle wax works too. Drip some on, smooth even with the case OD and chamber.