• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First aid/Trauma kit for hunting bag

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
Any recommendations for a small first aid/trauma kit for the hunting pack? Preferably a small one that is either waterproof enough to strap to the outside of my day pack or small enough to pack inside. My day pack is a smaller one.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes we usually have radios with us and hunt in pairs or within areas that are surrounded by parameter roads. I'll look into that site.

Reactions: ...
I put my own together.

I use a bright orange ultralight bag from Fehu Outdoors (member here, stitched in Laramie WY. Top notch guy. If going to be wetter (AK) I use an UL drybag from Outdoor Research.

TQ
Quickclot x2
Chest seal
4” roll gauze
Duct tape (find it online in compact 50’ roll) x2
Trauma Shears.
Small bottle with ibuprofen, tylenol, allergy pills, benadryl are good.
SAM splint (usually up against frame are of pack, not in kit).

I also carry a couple bandanas in my pack. Good for all kinda stuff. Slings, ice pack of snow held on, etc. have used them more than anything besides duct tape (blisters/hot spots).

Im blessed with a lot of training and experience taking care of injuries.

NAR kits are nice and are the easy button.

I put my own together.

I use a bright orange ultralight bag from Fehu Outdoors (member here, stitched in Laramie WY. Top notch guy. If going to be wetter (AK) I use an UL drybag from Outdoor Research.

TQ
Quickclot x2
Chest seal
4” roll gauze
Trauma Shears.

I also carry a couple bandanas in my pack. Good for all kinda stuff. Slings, ice pack of snow held on, etc. have used them more than anything besides duct tape (blisters/hot spots).

Medical professional giving kit advice.......listen up degenerates!

Thank you sir.

Just a nar nar
1696642679642.gif

Consider keeping trauma and first aid seperate. Trauma kit can then be smaller, and easy to reach, and ideally on your person instead of your pack. If you had to ditch your pack, there goes your trauma kit, which you probably need. First aid kit somewhere in your pack, since it holds stuff that taking a few minutes to get to is not so big a deal, ie non-acute emergencies.

What exactly is in each you would tailor to your needs. TQ in/on trauma kit, tweezers in first aid, etc. I like ITS for a lot of that stuff.

Good luck.

Reactions: jrassy and DIBBS
I always like to see other people’s first aid kit list. I’ve gotten to plug alot of penetrating and gunshot wounds, used a few tourniquets and splinted lots of broken bones, but always get ideas from other people’s list.

I went with the easy button by going with a MyMedic TFAK and their MYFAK Mini. I also have a Garmin Inreach Mini that goes with me too. Still need to add a SAM Splint to the mix.

Knock on wood, but it’s time for a Stop The Bleed Refresher course.

I put my own together.

TQ
Quickclot x2
Chest seal
4” roll gauze
Trauma Shears.

Dangit. You left out the vibrating fist!

Don't forget pepto. Having the shits in the woods/high desert/anywhere is no fun. I carry an IFAK almost identical to @powdahound76, except i use athletic tape instead of duct. That goes with me everywhere. Boo boo fixins get added to my hunting pack as appropriate. Not remotely as knowledgeable as a pro but taken enough classes to know that.

Reactions: Sandhog308
Im not a nurse or an EMT, so I like all the stuff Powda caries, but I want mine no skill and no prep, just rip open the package and go. Quick clot sponges, Israeli bandages, and I have a couple of trick tourniquets that have the windlass attached and are super easy. I want to be able to do it to myself or my buddy when I’m freaking. When I bow hunt I carry a full shot kit even though it’s heavy as hell. Mostly I’m afraid of falling, having an arrow fall out the quiver and sticking myself. Huge wound channels that gush is no bueno.

Most of all. Be able to improvise. I've cut off safety vest straps for a tourniquet. I've cut off pant legs for bandages and a few other improvised things when shit goes sideways.
The second thing. Freeze, flight or fight. Stay calm and deal with the situation when others are frozen in their tracks or running away.

Reactions: DIBBS and AMGtuned