• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First annealing job - thoughts? (pics)

blacktaco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
PacifcNW
I attempted my first annealing job tonight. After multiple searching/ect - I gave it a shot. I believe that I didn't leave the brass in the torch long enough - not sure though. I didn't want to "over-do" it.....I have a handheld Mag-Torch that I used....turned up to Mid/Lower heat - and stuck the .308 brass (twice fired - never annealed previously) in a socket/drill and let it run for about 12 seconds....once the brass started turning blue - I dropped it in the water.
Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.
DSC_1304-2.jpg

DSC_1303-1.jpg

DSC_1302-1.jpg

DSC_1301-2.jpg

Re: First annealing job - thoughts? (pics)

The color looks ok... but that doesn't tell you everything. Some of my brass doesn't change color like other pieces do. I think the key is to do it with the lights off and anneal until the neck just starts to glow red. You don't want to get it bright red... you just want to see it start to glow a dull orange color.

After experimenting with Tempilaq and an annealer, that is what I have found to be the best method.

It's hard to tell from the picture; white balance seems off. They look like they might not have gotten hot enough. Maybe a before and after side-by-side shot might help.

Carter is right about the glow, but I don't take it quite that hot. You'll start to get an orange-ish tail on your flame as the brass starts to ionize. I usually wait for that and run them a second or two longer in the flame. I've tried tempilaq, (700F) but can't get consistent results. It's more of getting a "feel" for it after doing several.

Here's a batch I did recently:

Color looks good, you want the change to stop about 1/4 below the shoulder. I use tempilaq too. Gene's looks very good.Once you do it few times it gets easier. I

Color looks good, you want the change to stop about 1/4 below the shoulder. I use tempilaq too. Gene's looks very good.Once you do it few times it gets easier. I think you good to go!!
smile.gif