• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing first antelope ever. killed with bow

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
Another last minute decision pays off. We decided we would go hunting after work about 30 minutes before leaving. We had several failed attempts at some good bucks and we were about to head out for the evening. On the way out, we passed a nice buck so we decided to give him a shot. I got within 15 yards of this buck before the buck knew something wasn’t right and took 2 or 3 hops and then he stopped to look back and that was his fatal mistake. I was already at full draw and all we heard was THWACK! He ran off about 140 yards and then did the cartwheel dance of death. This was my first antelope and obviously my first with a bow. He was shot at about 15 yards with a rage 3 blade broadhead from a Bowtech Defender.

I would love to post pictures but have no idea how.

Re: first antelope ever. killed with bow

awesome man, bow hunting antelope is probably my favorite hunt evey year. We do it all spot and stalk, it definitly takes some work and alot of time. It tests your skills for sure. We are gonna hit it hard this weekend and see if we can get a few down!

Everything has been spot and stalk. Being a Mississippi boy, I have never seen as much open land as what is here in WY, nor HAD I ever walked up on a Rattle Snake. My belly crawling days are over! I have had approx. 15 decent stalks, 1 I shot at and missed at 45yds. Did I mention this is all PUBLIC LAND??? Couple more weeks and I will be out there looking for Mulies!

Heck ya, where are you hungting around? I live just south of the Wyoming border and hunt alot of public land in WY. If you need any tips on where to head let me know. The rattle snakes have been out with vengence this year, I have probably killed 15-20 already. I still get down and low crawl from some dumb ass reason, I spend the rest of the year picking catus spines that ramdonly emerge out of my skin!

Oh man, I never turn down advice on something I just started trying a week ago! I have been in WY for a month on a new job, we have been riding around looking for public land. The town I am in is called Gillette. How far is that from you? BTW: do you know how I can post pictures?

Gillette is a good 5 hours from me, I'm just south of Cheyenne. There is a ton of public land up there, we usually hunt deer around Kaycee (North of Casper)And antelope east of Cheyenne and sometimes up north. We generally draw for Elk, antelope and deer, then go up again for the reduced price doe/fawn tags. Cant beat a nonresident tag for 34 bucks!
The easiest way to post pics is use a website like photobucket.com Then upload your photos there, and there will be a direct link address that you can post here and it will show your pic full size

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/beretta_man11/

Wonder if that works... </div></div>

Antelope011.jpg

Really nice goat.

Thought I might help. When you are in your Photobucket album and you hover your mouse over the picture a box will pop up underneath of it that will say "Share" and will have links and codes for Email & IM, Direct Link, HTML Code, and IMG Code. The IMG Code (image code) is what you want. Just click on that code that is in the box and copy it. Then paste that code in your post. You can preview it before you submit it just to make sure it works. Hope that helps.

That's awesome. Thank you very much!

My buddy and I had seen 2 absolute monster goats earlier but there was no good way to get on them, maybe next time they will be more accessible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pierce33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome man, bow hunting antelope is probably my favorite hunt evey year. We do it all spot and stalk, it definitly takes some work and alot of time. It tests your skills for sure. We are gonna hit it hard this weekend and see if we can get a few down! </div></div>
Pierce33, I have been out to the area you live. It sure is pretty out there. I was wondering what antelope tasted like. I have had Elk but not antelope. When I retire I will find out what it taste like,just kind of wondered. Always been told they taste like eating sage brush. Good Luck this year.

Nice goat! Looks like you made a great shot on him. Congratulations!

Thanks Cinch! Quartered away, that is the enterence hole, it exited the off side shoulder breaking it to pieces!!! I killed him over in Area 23 West South West of Gillette. I just moved here a month ago. How is the Mule deer hunting here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Cinch! Quartered away, that is the enterence hole, it exited the off side shoulder breaking it to pieces!!! I killed him over in Area 23 West South West of Gillette. I just moved here a month ago. How is the Mule deer hunting here? </div></div>
beretta_man11 forgot to tell you nice shot and antelope. Did the rage break any blades. Several of my buddies have gone to shooting them and love them. I might have to give in and get some.

beretta_man11, There are some big deer around here if you can get on the land to hunt them. I moved here from Casper about 9 years ago and always had family land to hunt on up until here lately. The last few years I have not done any hunting around Gillette.

Congratulations! First bow kills are always the most memorable.

Thanks guys. This was not my first bow kill, I have killed Foxes, Deer, Bobcats, Turkeys, Squirrels, and now antelope but it is always exciting! (tons of misses but you can't hit it if you don't shoot at it.)

I think antelope taste great, its all in taking care of the meat after the kill. It needs to be dressed with the hide off and on ice asap. I usually have it processed and in the freezer within acouple hours. If not properly taken care of it can taste less than ideal and what some would call gamey. But it is without dou t one of my favorites to eat. Fyi lots of good muley country up your way!

Nice Buck....archery in open county can be a real challenge.

Nice!

I used to live in Laramie, WY and spent my free time in the bush everywhere between Cheyenne and Ft. Collins, CO. I love the Snowy Range.

I absolutely don't miss the winters at all. Mule is off the hook in Wyoming, we used to hunt in Laramie and just out of Casper.

Thanks for all the comments guys. The way I figured it, I will more than likely never be out this way again (I work construction and move around a lot) so why not buy one tag of everything. I bought non resident Buck Antelope for area 23, Doe/Fawn antelope for area 23, Region C buck deer, and one each for 17,18 deer doe/fawn. I've got close to $700 tied up in it but like I said, I may never get out this way again. (all tags were bought over the counter)

I would love to see some good recipies for antelope. We cleaned it within an hour of the kill, put it on ice and I'm going to let it bleed out for another day or so. Several of my co-workers are coonasses from South Louisana so I'm sure we can cook it up some how!

Well. Most people in WY are liars. Most say antelope is horrible. All of my friends and I beg to differ. I started by butterflying the backstraps that were cut in 3-4" squares. Let them soak in Amino sause (kinda like soy sause) for about an hour. Put cream cheese and garden fresh Jalepenos with the seeds still in. Sprinkled with "Slap Ya Momma" seasoning (remember I work with coonasses who have this stuff by the 5gallon bucket) the closed it up wrapping it in bacon. Throw it on the grill and oh man was this awesome. Honestly, just as good as the corn/bean fed whitetails back home. AMAZING.

Yup, one of my favorites!

Well I made it happen this weekend too! Shot this nice buck Saturday morning in NE Colorado. Made it easy for me as he was trying to sneek through a fence about 65 yards away, drilled him with a 2 blade rage, he only made it about 50 yards. Got it all on video too. If any of you have comcast or regualar cable, the hunt will be on an episode of Tag Team this year on Northern Colorado channel 5, be sure to tune in!

Worldsandantelope2010093.jpg

OH MAN what a buck! That's awesome. Congrats man.
How do you like the 2 Blades? Ever shot the 3? I have only shot the 3 blades and really like them but am always open to other good products.

Thinking of buy another rifle while I am up here. All I have here is my Armalite AR50 and a Stiller 300win mag. I think both of those may be a little much (and it's an excuse I can tell my girlfriend as to why I need another gun) . What would you prefer? .243, 25-06, .260, .270, .280? I want something of a common round so I can find them anywhere.

I love the rage 2 blades, they seem to fly better and hit harder for me. I have shot the three blades and I liked them alot too, but I prefer the 2 blade.

I used a 25-06 for my goat gun for years, and I ocassonially still do. I also use a .260, my .308 and a .300 WBY regularly. I have shot them with a wide range of calibers, just use what your comfortable with. A .300 wouldnt be to much for them, but the GF doesnt need to know that!

I lost my last 3 blade with that buck so I think I will give the 2 blades a try.

I am thinking the .308 may be a little more versitle. What, 110 grain all the way up to a 180? That's varmits up to larger game...

25-06 doesn't sound bad either though. Maybe I should buy both?!?!
smile.gif

I think both sounds like a good idea! You just have to come up with a good enough excuse so that mama doesnt get to wise!

There is supposed to be a big gun show coming to Gillette in a couple weeks. What can she possibly say if I acidentally pick up a few guns?

On another note, I was showing your buck off and was asked "what does it Weight?" Is that your biggest?

Shoot I have no idea what it weighs, it definitley was a big boddied sob. I rough scored 73ish. I shot an even bigger one last year, he went 77''
Pope and young is 67 inches, so its pretty cool to have 2 in the book! Maybe bigger yet next year?!?

I get the hide off and and them dressed whitin minutes of them being dead, thats the key to good antelope meat, so I never get them home to weigh them. Would be interesting to know though.