• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR build - 9mm AR pistol

Irelander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2006
Seneca, PA
Ok, I've finally talked myself into building an AR. I think I am going to go with a pistol build so I can use a short barrel and later get it SBR'd and put a stock on it. I'm thinking of a 10.5" barrel, flat top upper. That's pretty much as far as I have thought for right now.

This build will be used for home defense and possibly competition in the future.

I just ordered a Spikes stripped lower from Brownells for $89.99. Looked like a good deal to start things off. This is going to be a slow build cause I will only be ordering parts when funds allow.

I need ideas on other parts to add on. I want a 9mm upper to save on ammo $$ and potential suppressor host. No idea what 9mm upper to get though. If you guys have a 9mm AR that you could share a pic or two and build details, I would appreciate it.

Re: First AR build - 9mm AR pistol

Go with a spikes upper. They look sharp because they have the smaller ejector door without the stupid added deflector. You can custom build it on their site or call them up for a price. Sometimes they give discounts if you call.

Too bad you already have a lower on the way. DDLES has a 9mm lower that has a smaller outside magwell for a 9mm mag vs the ones you see from RRA and others. They're pricey, but look really sharp.

You should go with a troy ff rail because they're cheap and easy to install. You'll need a light on the end and should put a sling on it like a MS2.

Make sure you work out all the bugs if it's for home defense brother. 9mm ARs can be finnicky.

Here is one that I built a while back. It shot everything perfect. Some 9mm AR's are picky based on mags/magblock that you go with.

ar9mmpistol.jpg

Here are some parts that are on it:

Spikes Lower
VM Hytech Side Charger Upper
VM Hytech Mag block (Allows you to use standard Uzi mags (no modification to the mags needed))
Vortex FH
MI Free Float Rail
Tango Down Grip
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
KNS Pins (Must need for 9mm AR's)
7.5" barrel (Can't remember name at the moment)
Aimpoint M68

I really like Rock River's offering even though the mags are kind of expensive. A guy at my range has one with a 7" barrel and integral suppressor, he burns a lot of ammo and I've never seen it jam. It's fairly accurate at 50 yards, and as accurate as you'll see for 9mm at 100. Personally I would buy a 5.56 AR, and stick with a Ruger PC/ or Marlin Camp Rifle for a 9mm carbine.