• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR Build Help!

Milemarker28

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 16, 2017
    SW MO
    Alright guys I’m lost and I have been trying to read anything and everything on picking the right parts my heads hurts. My goal here is to build a coyote killing/SHTF AR in .223 (800 yards and less). In reviewing the info everywhere I believe I want Compass Lake to build the upper. I’m leaning towards using a Krieger 20” with the 1-7.7 twist with the cle match chambering. I’ll have it threaded for my can if I want the extra weight but do you guys recommend anything else added of changed by cle? I’m still undecided if I want to send in a rail or use one of Franks (so many options..). I’m leaning towards a Magpul prs lower or something similar that I can drop a geissele trigger in. Any input, suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance.

Why not build the upper yourself and use that extra money for parts? Building an AR-15 is not that hard and actually pretty fun.

You can also go with a shorter barrel for the distances you mentioned, especially for a SHTF rifle. "SHTF" makes me think of easy to move/run with and a 20" barrel is not that.

You can drop a Geissele trigger into almost any lower.

I have a awesome 20" Krieger from CLE with the CLE Match Chamber. It's very consistent to about 650ish yard.. if I could do it over, i would have done a medium Varmint contour at 22" it helps out with the 800 yard hits. Many people think because they can sling some rounds down range and maybe get 3 out 10 hits at 800 makes their 18" or 20" barrel capable... Don't get me wrong 20" is almost perfect but on the grand scheme it's just better to go 22"...... JMO

I consider the CLE .223 Match Chamber to be the most accurate with the 77SMK, but keep in mind if you go with the Wylde Chamber you will be able to push them harder ......

For a parts list, I have had great success with the following...

VLTOR MUR Upper. $160 (top quality receiver with extra material to mitigate receiver Flex if you go with the heavier barrel)

RCA BCG, or Young

CLE Krieger barrel ( thread barrel 5/8x24 and have CLE Headspaced it to your bolt )

SLR AGB or Superlative Arms

Handguard is tasters choice.... I like SLR and Geissele, but there are heaps out there for way less.

Charging handle ... Again whatever smokes your shorts.

I actually took a gamble on a Ar stoner barrel (20 inch 1-8 spr) from midway for a Franken ar to use with a luppy mark ar and all the other parts I had laying around.

For me I would have been happy with a 1 moa rifle but with handlloads and 75 gr hornady bthp’s that thing prints .75 inch groups all day long with the mil spec trigger. Prettt salty rig out to 875 yards. All the further I can take it.

Not saying you have to go cheap like me but my shtf gun is also my pickup gun and I beat the hell out of it. I didn’t wanna go real high end with it. Who am I kidding after spending money on my bolt guns I had no money left over for a semi anyways

Last edited:
    I agree with building the upper yourself. It’s not that bad at all and you end up with exactly what you want.

Reactions: MarkCO
    Milemarker if your any where close to me you can use my tools to put the upper together, I am/was a military armorer. Located in North Central AR.