• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Audad Mountain Hunt

Kwilm

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Oklahoma
I’m going on my first Audad mountain hunt (or what we call mountains in Oklahoma lol) and I’m trying to bring the weight down on my pack a bit. I’m around 28 pounds with everything I have listed below.

My main question is what do your packs weigh with or without a rifle? Is the 28ish range the norm?

I’d love to bring my Razor 20-60 spotter but don’t want to add the extra weight.

It’s only a 1 day hunt but need to plan on being up there from daylight to dusk. Anyway here’s my list.

-Eberlestock Team Elk Frame Pack
-Defiance 6.5cm with Manners Carbon T6, proof carbon barrel and Thunderbeast Ultra 7
-Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1
-AW Mag with 10 rounds
-RRS 34L tripod with Vyce
-Leica 10x HD-B Bino/range finder
-Bino chest harness with pouch
-Tool kit (4 bits, small ratchet, extension
and socket)
-Havalon Razor knife w/ spare blades
-Wyoming Saw
-Rubber Gloves
-First aid kit
-50ish foot of Paracord
-2 Carabiners
-Trash bags for meat
-Headlight
-Sunglasses
-Wet wipes to clean up after dressing
-Batteries got headlight, scope and
rangefinder
-Toilet paper
-Trekking poles
-4 16oz bottles of water
-Beef jerky
-Fruit pouches (squeeze pouches found in
toddler aisle
- Peanut butter crackers
Fire Starter
Sling (cheap canvas with QD mounts)

I'm at about 38lbs for a 3 day backpack hunt. I don't carry a tripod, I usually filter my water on site from a stream, but pretty much carry the same type items. Mine is for bowhunting though, so my weapon itself is probably little lighter. I think my pack without my bow is about 31lbs. Main differences I see are the water and the tripod. Sounds like you probably have to bring water however, so you might be pretty much there. I don't think 28lbs is too much to lug around for a one day hunt though. One other note, I used to use the white garbage bags for meat, but have swithed solely to the game bag type system. I found the game bags let the meat breathe so much better than the garbage bags and dependent on how far your pack out is, provide a much better meat product at the end. I would always get a little "slimyness" with the garbage bags I didn't like. Good luck and have fun, those Aoudad look like a cool animal.

I'm at about 38lbs for a 3 day backpack hunt. I don't carry a tripod, I usually filter my water on site from a stream, but pretty much carry the same type items. Mine is for bowhunting though, so my weapon itself is probably little lighter. I think my pack without my bow is about 31lbs. Main differences I see are the water and the tripod. Sounds like you probably have to bring water however, so you might be pretty much there. I don't think 28lbs is too much to lug around for a one day hunt though. One other note, I used to use the white garbage bags for meat, but have swithed solely to the game bag type system. I found the game bags let the meat breathe so much better than the garbage bags and dependent on how far your pack out is, provide a much better meat product at the end. I would always get a little "slimyness" with the garbage bags I didn't like. Good luck and have fun, those Aoudad look like a cool animal.

I wouldn't worry to much about the game bags for an Audad ram considering that it might be an improvement if the meat spoiled, if he shoots an Ewe that would be worth the effort for eating.

That is the only reason I've never shot an Audad ram though I've wanted to for years.

I would make room for more water. 2 things that will stop a hunt, sore feet and thirst. If the water gets to heavy drink it. Good luck free range audad is on my list. Oh ya, make sure you can mount youre binos on that tripod.?

Reactions: Kwilm
Thanks for the input. I’m a bigger guy and not in the best of shape. I’m rocking a dad bod pretty hard these days lol. I was just trying to cut as much weight as possible. We actually went out today. I ended up leaving the tripod and vyce in the truck. I’m glad I did because it dropped about 4.5 pounds.

I’ve lived in SW Oklahoma all my life and had no idea we had the terrain we do up there. Sharp inclines, fairly slick granite in spots, enough cactus to last a lifetime and thickets of trees/thorns that were hardly passable. Sprinkle that in with loose granite chunks and pebbles and it was definitely a challenge. The highest point is a little over 2300 feet; a Sunday afternoon hike for some of you guys but it might as well be the Himalayas for us.

As for the game bags go I just discovered those a few weeks ago. Those look really slick. I’ll probanly pick a few up for the future for other meats. I planned on cutting backstraps out so the animal wasn’t a total waste. I was hoping a chili mixed in with enough other shit would make it bearable lol.

Unfortunately we only saw four young Ewe today so I decided not to shoot. They were only about 130 or so yards.

I told my buddy/outfitter I’m gonna drop a few dozen pounds before I try it again haha. It was a blast though. Anyway here’s a iPhone pics I took today. My Nightforce looked brand new before we started today so I included a pic of the aftermath of it from the thickets/thorns. Hopefully some magic eraser will clean most of it up.

Thanks again for the help. I’ll definitely bring more water next time. That was really the only thing I really felt like I short changed myself on.

Sunrise

Sunset on the way home.

Sounds like you had a good time and have some good take a ways from the experience.
That landscape looks alot like the area of the Texas hill country I grew up in.

Beautiful country there, glad you had a good time. I wouldn't worry to much about dropping a bunch of weight. Its more about acclimation, day 2 is much easier than day 1. Slow and steady will get you to the top, but more importantly get you down.

Hyperlite pack most are under 3# and down to 1#
Rifle / scope weight, I know precision rifle with matching scope in the new way not for me hunting, Tikka for long action, Kimber for short action and then Gucci them up lighter, Leupold gets the thumbs down on the HIde but they are lighter smaller profile to what Hide recommends
Not carry 10 rounds
Review tool kit
I don't like lots of electronics and their weight to include extra batteries but they have become don't leave home without
Don't get stingy on the water, try a bladder to sip all day Vs bottles, if bottles carry one on your waistbelt and sip all day
Gatorade Vs sugary fruit pouches

Split spotter and tripod between two, spotting scope is very handy in Alaska, is the animal worth / legal the time and distance, some teams only take one pr of binos and one spotter sharing

Personal note, peanut butter crackers, yuck, think logan bread for tasty all day reload

I would add rocket fuel, chocolate covered coffee beans

I don't see compass / maps

Abused NF, love it

What I did to trim weight, it took me years and lots of coin to perfect but I would take notes on every trip what worked, didn't work, needed, not needed, what has multiple uses and then work it out at home before next trip. I would throw everything in a pile on the floor and go through every piece of kit after the trip and before leaving next trip. I was fortunate enough to be able to be out in the hills 2-3 days a week and yes I am one of the that cut, drill holes, etc to lighten my load.

good luck
Looks like a fantastic trip, love the pics

Definitely want to pack the spotter. I’ve hunted auodad in SW Oklahoma many times and had the best luck finding mature rams by just climbing to the tallest peak and glassing opposing terrain where the wind is blocked. There’s some big country in SW Oklahoma but not many properties offer enough area to hike all day without crossing property lines to keep.

Yep, glass is you're best friend, 8 hours on top is way better than 8 hours "wandering". Far more effective.

Thanks for the input. I’m a bigger guy and not in the best of shape. I’m rocking a dad bod pretty hard these days lol. I was just trying to cut as much weight as possible. We actually went out today. I ended up leaving the tripod and vyce in the truck. I’m glad I did because it dropped about 4.5 pounds.

I’ve lived in SW Oklahoma all my life and had no idea we had the terrain we do up there. Sharp inclines, fairly slick granite in spots, enough cactus to last a lifetime and thickets of trees/thorns that were hardly passable. Sprinkle that in with loose granite chunks and pebbles and it was definitely a challenge. The highest point is a little over 2300 feet; a Sunday afternoon hike for some of you guys but it might as well be the Himalayas for us.

As for the game bags go I just discovered those a few weeks ago. Those look really slick. I’ll probanly pick a few up for the future for other meats. I planned on cutting backstraps out so the animal wasn’t a total waste. I was hoping a chili mixed in with enough other shit would make it bearable lol.

Unfortunately we only saw four young Ewe today so I decided not to shoot. They were only about 130 or so yards.

I told my buddy/outfitter I’m gonna drop a few dozen pounds before I try it again haha. It was a blast though. Anyway here’s a iPhone pics I took today. My Nightforce looked brand new before we started today so I included a pic of the aftermath of it from the thickets/thorns. Hopefully some magic eraser will clean most of it up.

Thanks again for the help. I’ll definitely bring more water next time. That was really the only thing I really felt like I short changed myself on.

Sunrise

Sunset on the way home.
Dad bod is life.