• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First batch

RichardCranium

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2020
Columbia, Tennessee
Today I loaded my first ever hand loads. Im still extremely new to this but I loaded Hornaday match cases with Federal gold #210 primers. 44gr of Hodgdon Varget. 168gr Sierra MatchKing HPBT .308. Paid super close attention to detail and trimmed every case to 2.005 and annealed. Full length resized and set each bullet as carefully as possible. Getting 50 rounds all at 2.800. Now off to the range tomorrow to see the results and adjust where needed. Any tips would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20200617_185643.jpg
    20200617_185643.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200617_185732.jpg
    20200617_185732.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200617_204618.jpg
    20200617_204618.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 29
Today I loaded my first ever hand loads. Im still extremely new to this but I loaded Hornaday match cases with Federal gold #210 primers. 44gr of Hodgdon Varget. 168gr Sierra MatchKing HPBT .308. Paid super close attention to detail and trimmed every case to 2.005 and annealed. Full length resized and set each bullet as carefully as possible. Getting 50 rounds all at 2.800. Now off to the range tomorrow to see the results and adjust where needed. Any tips would be helpful.

Nice job. And as mentioned, be sure to document all this with your target, including things like jump distance, ambient temperature, altitude, humility and keeping a log for your brass to keep track of loading procedures you've done each time and know how many times you've fired them. Be sure when you reload, to inspect the brass for any anomalies (like impending case head separation signs and primer pocket condition for holding the primer firm).

Note, just be aware that your 44 gr. of Varget is a pretty hot load with a cartridge at SAAMI spec dimensions. It's substantially hotter than factory Federal Gold Medal Match's. I estimate your MV to be around 2700 fps +/- depending on your barrel length the temperature conditions.

Reactions: RichardCranium
On the hodgdon spec sheet it said for that round that min is 42 grain and max compressed is 46gr so I went in the middle. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 15924491846268733769809055709415.jpg
    15924491846268733769809055709415.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 16
On the hodgdon spec sheet it said for that round that min is 42 grain and max compressed is 46gr so I went in the middle. Should I be worried?

No.

Just don't let the cartridges sit in hot direct sun.

I've use up over 46 grs . . . though I seated my 168 SMK's longer, like out to .010 off the lands.

Reactions: RichardCranium
I generally work up loads, starting at the minimum charge, load three cartridges per charge weight, and go up .3 grains at a time until I start seeing pressure signs. Don't get in the habit of guessing.

I generally work up loads, starting at the minimum charge, load three cartridges per charge weight, and go up .3 grains at a time until I start seeing pressure signs.

Yeah, either that or have the bullets seated at various depths (like at .010 intervals from the lands) to find what seating depth give the best results.

With 50 rounds at 44.0 grs, I'd expect to see not so good groups and not know why after shooting them all. :eek: ;)

I know this is a noob question but what would be indications of pressure signs? So in an ideal world I should have done 3 rounds at 142gr then 3 rounds at 142.3gr and so on?

If you set each individual cartridge to 2.800" OAL exactly there will be some small inconsistency in how far the bullets jump to the rifling. The tips on those bullets are not completely consistent. You will get better results measuring length with a comparator at the ogive.

Reactions: never_summer
If you set each individual cartridge to 2.800" OAL exactly there will be some small inconsistency in how far the bullets jump to the rifling. The tips on those bullets are not completely consistent. You will get better results measuring length with a comparator at the ogive.

So measure from the ogive to the tip then seat the bullet to the difference?

I know this is a noob question but what would be indications of pressure signs?

The biggy would by ejector swipe on the base of the case.
Cratered primers
Primers that are unusually flat (Federal 210 primers tend to be a little soft and may seem flat, so look for other indications in addition).

So in an ideal world I should have done 3 rounds at 142gr then 3 rounds at 142.3gr and so on?

A good Varget load tends to be around 43.0 grs. I feel it would have been better if you'd started with 44.0 and reduce the charges by .3 grs for about 5 different loads or more. Look up OCW testing and read how to do this and why: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ocw-test-example/4529811475

Reactions: NCHillbilly
Okay will do. I guess this batch will be a throw away then unfortunately. But then again you either win or learn. Thanks for the advice.

Not a throw away. You can still fire some of them to see how they do. You can get a nice bullet puller and pull the bullets and remeasure the charges and/or reseat the bullets to the various depths you want. A good bullet puller saves a lot of mistakes. (y) Ask me how I know. ;)

Last edited:
Measure cartridge base to ogive.

Have some fun learning and take those rounds and measure the difference in base to ogive. You'll probably find some variation you weren't expecting, and this is more important than the exact overall length.

The exact overall length needs to work in your gun for magazine length restrictions and feeding purposes. If you have perfectly consistent base to ogive measurements but have a spread of .015" oal and they still all fit the magazine then run it.

If you have a kinetic puller you could give a single whack to each to get them longer, and reseat to a consistent BTO length.

I would take em out and have fun. I bet my first batch of reloads was done the same way with no ill effect 😂

It sounds like the others pretty well covered it. I probably would have started with the book starting load and loaded 5 or 10 each adding .5 grains at a time. But your load may shoot great as is.

I try to avoid loading large batches until I have found the load that I want.

And yeah, sooner or later you will want to add a bullet puller to you set of loading tools. And probably a stuck case remover! Someone else said "ask me how I know"!