• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First bolt-action, first 100-yard shooting...

jonathanvictory

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2011
San Diego, California
Hi!

I always envy people at the range shooting their bolt-actions while I'm firing my handgun. It just looks cool and fun to me.

Anyways, my wife and mom chipped in to get me a Savage 10FP-SR. As this was just for the range, I tossed on some okay/decent stuff to it so I can go shooting.

I got to the range and know minimal about shooting past 50 yards. I tried reading forums and watching videos, but everyone has their "my way" of shooting. So, I took what I could from each and went out.

I wasted about 17 rounds until I was hitting the bullseye on each of my paper targets. After getting confident and seeing my groups were looking nice (to me at least). Here is what I ended up with:

400596990.jpg

That is the logo of the paper target at 100 yards, and not the bullseye itself.

I was shooting reman'd Black Hills MHP 77 grain.

Well, that's all. I want to thank everyone who post their knowledge here. I'm new to this type of shooting and enjoy learning from this forum.

Rifle:
Savage Arms 10FP-SR (.223)
Mueller Tactical 8.5-25x44AO
EGW 20MOA Base
Weaver Tactical Rings (medium)
Karsten Model A cheek weld
Ross Schuler muzzle brake

Re: First bolt-action, first 100-yard shooting...

First time, huh.
Gotta love those Savages!

Oh yea, good shooting. Like was said above, stretch it out now.

Nice! Try not to overheat the credit cards!

Your reading comprehension must be awesome! Nice shooting.

Did you install the cheek piece yourself?

Congratulations. Hope your wife supports your future desire to ring the most out of that rifle, future rifles, and your ability. The quest for tiny groups can drain the retirement fund.

Not only great for a first timer... I know alot of people that still can't do that after years of shooting!! Nice work, and welcome to the wonderful world of the barrel nut!!

DK

Nicely Done!

I am always learning a lot from the folks on here. Have taught myself to shoot but should have had lessons from a good instructor. Now I have to un-learn all my bad habits... JaxOps

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I definitely want to reach out further; hoping for somewhere around 400-600 yards, but we'll see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottie15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you install the cheek piece yourself? </div></div>

Yes, I did. I just followed the steps given from tacticalworks.com.

400456221.jpg