• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Bolt Action Rifle January 2023

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Hello, I’m wanting to purchase my first what I would call a higher quality bolt action rifle. My primary and previous experience is with a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 5.56/.223 rifle open sights. I have owned a Browning X Bolt in .243WIN didn’t really like it. I’ve also owned and shot a Savage 110 Storm in 308WIN. For both rifles I ran a simple Nikon BDC 3-9x40 scope. I’m LEFT HANDED and am looking into the following rifles all of which are in 6.5 Creedmoor.

1. Christensen Ridgeline
2. Bergara B14 HMR
3. Savage 110 Timberline
4. Savage 110 Ultralite
5. Savage Impulse Big Game Hunter

I’m brand spanking new to reticles/optics as well.

FFP or SFP?
MIL or MOA?
Brand?

Any help would be very welcome. Thanks for reading my post.

What are you going to be doing with the rifle? The Bergara HMR and Savage ultralite are very different guns. If you’re willing to spend $2k+ on a Christensen there are a lot of other options I’d consider depending on what you’re doing with it. I’d take a tikka CTR over anything on your list.

Last edited:
What are you going to be doing with the rifle? The Bergara HMR and Savage ultralite are very different guns. If you’re willing to spend $2k+ on a Christensen there are a lot of other options I’d consider depending on what you’re doing with it. I’d take a tikka CTR over anything on your list.
I’m wanting to try and get into longer range shooting. Possibly even participate in some matches. 99% of the time this will be a rifle used at the range or on friend’s property.

Get a CTR. 20 or 24” barrel in 6.5 creed.

Pick your poison in optics, as long as it’s FFP/MIL.

Browse the PX here.

This is what I did. My 24” CTR shoots lights out with 5-6 different kinds of factory ammo from 130gr - 147gr. Had fun plinking at 1000yds.

If you don’t like the stock (I don’t mind it) you can always drop it into a Bravo or other chassis and end up at the same $$ as a Tac A1.

This is what I did. My 24” CTR shoots lights out with 5-6 different kinds of factory ammo from 130gr - 147gr. Had fun plinking at 1000yds.

If you don’t like the stock (I don’t mind it) you can always drop it into a Bravo or other chassis and end up at the same $$ as a Tac A1.
I slept on Tikkas too long. I just got my first and it’s gonna have a sibling soon.

Reactions: Tiliad58
This is going to seem like overkill but you’ll be getting a million times the gun for the money and could be the only gun you ever need(or at least for a long time). ARC is about to unleash a new action into the wild for a smoking deal

You’ll be able to spec everything and put it together yourself

I wouldn’t waste money on any of the ones in your list. The votes for tikka are good suggestions. Depending on your budget I would strongly suggest spending the money on a Remington 700 clone action simply for upgrade options and ease of buying/selling used parts.

If you like everything about the tikka Ctr or Tac then it’s a great buy but if your planning on swapping triggers, stocks, barrels ect then it will be cheaper to just start with a bighorn origin, Arc nucleus , or the new action from arc. Then buy a prefit barrel in what ever flavor you want and stock/chassis of your choice.

I have a tikka and love it and there are plenty of upgrades available and it shoots just as good as my custom 700 style rifles. But it is much harder to find deals on used chassis vs the 700. I recently transitioned from bravos into chassis and wasn’t sure what I would like so was able to pick up a used ACC and a used XLR envy off here for significant discount. Deals come up for tikka too but there just isn’t as many as 700 style.

This is going to seem like overkill but you’ll be getting a million times the gun for the money and could be the only gun you ever need(or at least for a long time). ARC is about to unleash a new action into the wild for a smoking deal

You’ll be able to spec everything and put it together yourself
Does it come in left hand?

I wouldn’t waste money on any of the ones in your list. The votes for tikka are good suggestions. Depending on your budget I would strongly suggest spending the money on a Remington 700 clone action simply for upgrade options and ease of buying/selling used parts.

If you like everything about the tikka Ctr or Tac then it’s a great buy but if your planning on swapping triggers, stocks, barrels ect then it will be cheaper to just start with a bighorn origin, Arc nucleus , or the new action from arc. Then buy a prefit barrel in what ever flavor you want and stock/chassis of your choice.

I have a tikka and love it and there are plenty of upgrades available and it shoots just as good as my custom 700 style rifles. But it is much harder to find deals on used chassis vs the 700. I recently transitioned from bravos into chassis and wasn’t sure what I would like so was able to pick up a used ACC and a used XLR envy off here for significant discount. Deals come up for tikka too but there just isn’t as many as 700 style.
Total noob here. Is there a left hand Remington 700 clone action?

So 2500-3k just the rifle? There is absolutely no reason to not build exactly what you want then.

On the cheap end
Bighorn origin $900

Proof prefit $579

Trigger tech special 2 stage $250

Krg bravo $369

Action wrench to install barrel $40

Barrel vise $65

Above comes to around $2200, you could pick and choose nicer or cheaper components to fit your preferences or budget but that would make a really nice rifle. I actually just built this exact rifle in 223 for a friend. Only difference was he went with a MDT ACC chassis he got off Black Friday. I believe he was $3400-$3500 into the whole rifle including a Burris xtr3 5-30 and rings.

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
I’ll second the list that Baron put together, that’s an incredibly capable rifle.

Something else to consider with the actions that you look at is replaceable bolt heads. Most of the custom actions now are machined well enough that you can just order a new barrel and screw it on(with the tools that Baron listed). What a lot of them also have is an easily replaceable bolt head that you can swap to shoot cartridges that are bigger or smaller than your original choice. Think; switching from the original choice(6.5 creedmoor) to .223(for training or getting the kids started) to a magnum cartridge shooting handloads to bang targets waaay out there

So 2500-3k just the rifle? There is absolutely no reason to not build exactly what you want then.

On the cheap end
Bighorn origin $900

Proof prefit $579

Trigger tech special 2 stage $250

Krg bravo $369

Action wrench to install barrel $40

Barrel vise $65

Above comes to around $2200, you could pick and choose nicer or cheaper components to fit your preferences or budget but that would make a really nice rifle. I actually just built this exact rifle in 223 for a friend. Only difference was he went with a MDT ACC chassis he got off Black Friday. I believe he was $3400-$3500 into the whole rifle including a Burris xtr3 5-30 and rings.
Honestly I’d love to build exactly what I want. I just have zero clue about how to go about it or who I should contact. I’ve looked at some custom rifle makers like GAP and Alamo. But I can’t seem to find exactly what I want.

Basically I’d like to build rifle tailor made for me.
1. Left Handed
2. Adjustable LOP
3. Adjustable comb height
4. 24in spiral fluted barrel with threaded muzzle break heavy barrel contour similar to the style used on the USMC M40a1
5. 6.5 Creedmoor
6. Spiral fluted action (I would love a REM 700 clone)
9. Cerekoted barrel in Battle Bronze
10. Cerekoted Stock in Multicam

Last edited:
Honestly I’d love to build exactly what I want. I just have zero clue about how to go about it or who I should contact. I’ve looked at some custom rifle makers like GAP and Alamo. But I can’t seem to find exactly what I want.

1. Left Handed
2. Adjustable LOP
4. 24in spiral fluted barrel with threaded muzzle break
5. 6.5 Creedmoor
So, the problem with getting any machine work done to any factory action is that it immediately puts it in the price ballpark of a custom action. In which case…you might as well just buy a custom in the first place.

The adjustability of a stock/chassis isn’t too big a deal, lots of options there.

The colors are going to add some $$ to the price no matter if you buy from a rifle maker or have it done to a gun you put together yourself

It is very easy to build a rifle at your house with the components available today. Pick an action that accepts pre fit barrels. The popular actions are bighorn origin, bighorn tl3, impact 737R, lone peak fusion, terminus zeus. There are tons more such as American rifle company, defiance and many many more. You can go onto patriot valleys website and select their prefit barrels and they have a drop down menu that will show all the actions they make prefit barrels for.

To clarify since it sounds like you are new to this. A prefit barrel and action are held to tight consistent tolerances unlike actions of the past. Basically each action is exactly the same (close enough) since each action (of the same make and model) are the exact same barrel makers can make a barrel without having to actually have the action to fit it. Old actions have lots of variation so you had to have a gunsmith build your rifle.

So now you select the action that accepts prefits, fits your budget, has the features you like, and like the look of. All actions are going to shoot just as accurately as another basically.

Now pick a company that sells prefits that you like the price, the company or what ever other reason you pick them over others. Companies like proof research, patriot valley, preffered barrels, Fischer T&C, TS customs and many many more.

Select the contour (thickness of the barrel), select the twist rate that’s appropriate for the bullets you want to shoot, options like threaded barrel, fluting, and cerakote. Not all companies offer fluting, I know preffered barrels does but have never used them.

Now once you have the action and the barrel you use the vise I posted or similar. Clamp the barrel into it mounted securely onto a strong bench, put a little anti seize on the thread and screw the action onto the barrel. It is just a big bolt, righty tighty lefty loosy. Now use the action wrench into the action where the bolt goes and a torque wrench and tighten the action onto the barrel to what ever torque the barrel maker recommends.

Hopefully this all makes sense, if you have more questions just ask. Also watch some YouTube videos but it is seriously so easy a cave man could do it.

I’ll second the list that Baron put together, that’s an incredibly capable rifle.

Something else to consider with the actions that you look at is replaceable bolt heads. Most of the custom actions now are machined well enough that you can just order a new barrel and screw it on(with the tools that Baron listed). What a lot of them also have is an easily replaceable bolt head that you can swap to shoot cartridges that are bigger or smaller than your original choice. Think; switching from the original choice(6.5 creedmoor) to .223(for training or getting the kids started) to a magnum cartridge shooting handloads to bang targets waaay out there

1. Left Handed
2. Adjustable LOP
4. 24in spiral fluted barrel with threaded muzzle break heavy barrel contour similar to the style used on the USMC M40a1
5. 6.5 Creedmoor

Reactions: The D

1. Left Handed
2. Adjustable LOP
5. 6.5 Creedmoor
I responded above but I’ll add something else here. You have access to probably(arguably) the best bolt action gun resource on the net. Start reading then start asking questions. We’ll help you through this. Just expect a little bit of shit talking, I hope you don’t have thin skin

If I wasn’t abused on a forum by the pros I’d think you guys hate me. I’m here to learn and be taught not have my feelings validated or ego inflated. I’m a beginner and I have earn my spot.

For your budget, I’d check out Alamo precision rifles. Their entry level rifles are $3200. They did a match gun for me which is a tac driver. You can also pretty much pick out everything you want. I will be getting another rifle from them when funds are available. For optics- wait until Scott at liberty optics has another sale. He gives great deals to Hiders.

It is very easy to build a rifle at your house with the components available today. Pick an action that accepts pre fit barrels. The popular actions are bighorn origin, bighorn tl3, impact 737R, lone peak fusion, terminus zeus. There are tons more such as American rifle company, defiance and many many more. You can go onto patriot valleys website and select their prefit barrels and they have a drop down menu that will show all the actions they make prefit barrels for.

To clarify since it sounds like you are new to this. A prefit barrel and action are held to tight consistent tolerances unlike actions of the past. Basically each action is exactly the same (close enough) since each action (of the same make and model) are the exact same barrel makers can make a barrel without having to actually have the action to fit it. Old actions have lots of variation so you had to have a gunsmith build your rifle.

So now you select the action that accepts prefits, fits your budget, has the features you like, and like the look of. All actions are going to shoot just as accurately as another basically.

Now pick a company that sells prefits that you like the price, the company or what ever other reason you pick them over others. Companies like proof research, patriot valley, preffered barrels, Fischer T&C, TS customs and many many more.

Select the contour (thickness of the barrel), select the twist rate that’s appropriate for the bullets you want to shoot, options like threaded barrel, fluting, and cerakote. Not all companies offer fluting, I know preffered barrels does but have never used them.

Now once you have the action and the barrel you use the vise I posted or similar. Clamp the barrel into it mounted securely onto a strong bench, put a little anti seize on the thread and screw the action onto the barrel. It is just a big bolt, righty tighty lefty loosy. Now use the action wrench into the action where the bolt goes and a torque wrench and tighten the action onto the barrel to what ever torque the barrel maker recommends.

Hopefully this all makes sense, if you have more questions just ask. Also watch some YouTube videos but it is seriously so easy a cave man could do it.
I’m am very new. Thank you for taking the time to explain this and share your expertise. I’ll start researching and hopefully build something to be proud of.

That was a bit exaggerated. You’re only going to catch shit if you act like a d-bag.

For your budget, I’d check out Alamo precision rifles. Their entry level rifles are $3200. They did a match gun for me which is a tac driver. You can also pretty much pick out everything you want. I will be getting another rifle from them when funds are available. For optics- wait until Scott at liberty optics has another sale. He gives great deals to Hiders.
Thanks much for the recommendation. I’ll look into it.