• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First bolt action?

Husker_edc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2022
Omaha, NE
I am looking at these two rifles and have done my research and still can’t make my mind up. Both are about $1,100 and I am getting it in 308.

I am looking at the

Savage 110 Ultralite Gray Syn Proof Barrel​

And

Tikka T3x CTR​

What are your thoughts? Since this is my first bolt action and trying not to spend more than $1,200. Is one that better than the other? Looking for a quality rifle to get out to 1000 yards at some point. Thanks in advance

Love my Big Horn actions. Thinning out the Savage herd. Going to keep a couple, grew up with them.

Of the two you have nominated Tikka every day of the week. Had both, Savage sold pretty rapidly.
Tupperware stock is minimalist but functional. Plethora of aftermarket improvements to be had down the road if so desired.
Mass factory action gtg for barrel prefits.

You`ll get 100% Tikka on that question on this site. Tikka makes a fine rifle, no question. They`d better because Beretta customer service support is some of the worst in the industry. I personally cannot compare the two because I`ve never shot or even held a Tikka. Generally, according to most, fit and finish with the Tikka is superior. Ability to hit the target? Savage holds up well in that category from what I`ve seen. I have enjoyed my 110 very much and have had no problems.

Last edited:
Tikka makes more sense unless you are needing a very light rifle . After a long day at the range you may find the Savage may be too light .

When you sell the rifle, you will lose 2-3X as much on the Savage. Tikka is a bunch of compromises, and have gotten too expensive IMHO, but you could at least sell it and not get hammered. Since you want 308 and it tends to be a redheaded stepchild of late, suggest you look for a used custom with 700 clone action. If staying with new, build on an origin, find a BA, or a complete semi-custom like a Badrock built on a good action. Also, nothing wrong with finding an older 700 for much less money and figuring out what you like/dislike.

Reactions: Secant
Tikka 100% but in 6.5cm.

Nothing wrong with 308, especially considering the current ammo supply. 308 FGMM can be found on sale for $20/box, 6.5 Creedmoor is averaging over $40/box for quality match ammo. 2 rounds for the price of one will teach a new shooter a lot more than not shooting because ammo is ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: jbuck88 and Modoc
Thanks for the help and info. Will most likely be getting the Tikka unless I come across a good used 308 that fits the bill. Thanks again

Nothing wrong with 308, especially considering the current ammo supply. 308 FGMM can be found on sale for $20/box, 6.5 Creedmoor is averaging over $40/box for quality match ammo. 2 rounds for the price of one will teach a new shooter a lot more than not shooting because ammo is ridiculously expensive.
You have a point on the ammo price, the difference stops there.

If this is his first bolt action and starting fresh in LR shooting, it would be better to start with the 6.5. If he really gets into it, reloading will come next and the saved brass will be one less cost.

Reactions: Digetydog
You have a point on the ammo price, the difference stops there.

If this is his first bolt action and starting fresh in LR shooting, it would be better to start with the 6.5. If he really gets into it, reloading will come next and the saved brass will be one less cost.

Theres other advantages to 308 too, 6.5 isn't the end all be all.

Shooting/practice volume will always net better results for a new shooter to learn, period. There's nothing wrong with 308 and theres a YUGE advantage right now now with ammo costs and availability.

The other one that should be up there IMO is the Ruger Precision Rifle

The fit and finish is good, and you can upgrade components to some serious quality stuff as you grow into the capabilities of the rifle. Even more true than ever with the new gen RPRs having a triggertech trigger out of the box, and the triggertech diamond option available soon.

You can't handle 308 recoil in a 12-16 pound rifle but the 15% less in 6.5 is just awesome or what?

Tikka, RPR, Begara are all good in your price range.

• Haha
Reactions: 346ci
We will agree to disagree. Shooting volume was a big reason I dumped the harder recoiling .308. No problem shooting the 6.5 all day.

Put a brake on either and the difference in negligible in the same weight rifle and neither is painful. If the very minor additional recoil of a braked 308 target rifle bothers someone then perhaps knitting is a better hobby.

Reactions: moosemeat
Norma match 143 is 22 a box. Brass sells on here for .50 once fired...so you are around $12 a box. Let me know know when you can shoot a .308 that cheap.

The fit and finish is good, and you can upgrade components to some serious quality stuff as you grow into the capabilities of the rifle. Even more true than ever with the new gen RPRs having a triggertech trigger out of the box, and the triggertech diamond option available soon.
Waste of money. You can upgrade it to the point you could have bought a real rifle. No one uses those shits for more than a year before buying a real gun..no matter how much money you dump Into it.

Put a brake on either and the difference in negligible in the same weight rifle and neither is painful. If the very minor additional recoil of a braked 308 target rifle bothers someone then perhaps knitting is a better hobby.
Friends don't let friends shoot loud rifles, this was a 10lb suppressed T3 that served as my first intro match gun and deer rifle.

Last comment in this guys thread as some don't seem to get the point or haven't shot both for more than 30 minutes.

Friends don't let friends shoot loud rifles, this was a 10lb suppressed T3 that served as my first intro match gun and deer rifle.

Last comment in this guys thread as some don't seem to get the point or haven't shot both for more than 30 minutes.

Cool, I shoot suppressed too and have had a Fix in 308 and 6.5 CM and with the same TBAC ultra 7 the difference in recoil in the two is negligible in that very light rifle with a can. I've owned dozens and dozens of 308's and 6.5's and have had both barrels for the same rifle.

If you want no recoil buy a BR/Dasher. Arguing the minor difference in recoil between 308 and 6.5 is fucking retarded.

The OP is clearly new to bolt guns and the benefits of ammo availability and cost will outweigh everything else.

• Haha
Reactions: 346ci
If your strictly target shooting I’d get Tikka CTR in 6.5 for 1,000 yards. It just does it better. For hunting I prefer 308 to 6.5.

I have several savages in 260 and 308 as well as several Tikka including a Tikka CTR in 308 in a KRG Bravo. The ctr in the bravo is hands down my preferred choice. The action and magazine are excellent so I suggest getting the ctr mag compatible krg bravo vs the AICS model

My barrel is 20”. I run suppressed. Mine is primarily a hunting rifle and I haven’t chronographed it yet. But for what I use it for I’m not concerned with max speed

However some Tikka barrels tend to be slower on speed vs their respective counterparts. If you’re strictly target shooting to 1,000 then you’d prefer the 6.5 over a slower 308.

Tikka is just a better rifle than savage all the way around. Accuracy can be a wash between the two and the Tikka will resell better if you decide to upgrade down the road

Tikka. this isn't even worth debating.

I liked the RPR

I'd get Tikka over it, but it was good overall

$ still better spent on higher end stuff tho

Came across this rifle and I know it is not 308 but if I do end up enjoying precision rifle maybe it is a better first start.

CHRISTENSEN ARMS MLR MESA LONG RANGE 300 PRC​

What are your thoughts on it?

Sorry for the noobie questions but got to start somewhere and just want to make sure I am getting quality for the money.

Appreciate all help and advice in advance

Would not mind a custom build but all the custom builders I am coming across have lead times out 6 months and I am kind of wanting something sooner

Came across this rifle and I know it is not 308 but if I do end up enjoying precision rifle maybe it is a better first start.

No. The Tikka UPR is a better option.

And the increased recoil and cost of shooting 300 PRC... no to that too.

.308, 6.5CM, possibly .223 depending on your needs are going to be the best bet for a first gun.

Last edited:
Sorry for the noobie questions but got to start somewhere and just want to make sure I am getting quality for the money.

Appreciate all help and advice in advance

Would not mind a custom build but all the custom builders I am coming across have lead times out 6 months and I am kind of wanting something sooner
You can get a barreled custom action (Zermatt, Lone Peak, Defiance, Impact, etc.), screw in a trigger and stock/chassis and you're good to go.

Make sure the barrel is threaded for what you want. doesn't have to be 6 months from a custom builder. $2500 or so

I can't speak for other actions, but if you go with Zermatt, you can start with a .223 barreled action and .223 bolt face, and all you need later for .308 or 6.5 is the barrel, magazine, and $120 bolt face which swaps out in 10 seconds. I'm a fan of .223 as a starter caliber. You can shoot 55gr for close range practice and fun hitting steel, and use match ammo for anything past 400.

Reactions: Bender

What’s your intended use?

Just paper and steel or do you plan to take hunting as well?

Intended to use for shooting between 500-1000 yards. But now maybe if I get a wild hair to attempt a 1 mile shot would be good to know the rifle could do it if the opportunity ever comes up.

Intended to use for shooting between 500-1000 yards. But now maybe if I get a wild hair to attempt a 1 mile shot would be good to know the rifle could do it if the opportunity ever comes up.
308 will do to 1000. 6.5 will do it slightly easier for paper and steel

Neither will treat you well at 1 mile. I’ve done it with my 260 but it’s not a 1 mile gun. 300 PRC would accomplish all of this but cost more and has more recoil. Which could be worth it to or not depending how much you shoot

If I was shooting 90% inside 1000 yards I’d have a 6.5 for paper and steel

Tikka over Savage all day long. And has others suggested, give Bergara a look.

PB

Please don't buy anything. Spend the next few months reading, and if you have friends with rifles, go to the range with them, watch, and shoot theirs.

I liked the RPR

I'd get Tikka over it, but it was good overall

$ still better spent on higher end stuff tho
its funny, my experience is the reverse. I have an RPR and a Tikka Tac A1, both 6.5 CM, and liked the RPR much better (could just have been luck of the draw barrel wise) but when looking at pure mechanical accuracy on a locked-down sled the Factory RPR barrel was outdoing the Tikka.

so far the only thing I've done to both was change muzzle devices for suppressor mounting and arca rails, and a stock swap.

but both I would say are perfectly serviceable introductory precision rifles. They're a lot of gun for the money spent.

its telling that the newest gen RPR you barely even have to modify at all. arca rail, barrier stop, APA muzzle device, triggertech trigger all standard

Reactions: Bender
Out of those two I'd vote for the Tikka. I did buy one of those proof barreled savage ultralights for my kid to hunt and it's been a solid rifle. Easy to tune a load for and pretty good for what it is.

My experience also mirrors @WindstormSCR I really liked my Ruger RPR and if I was looking for just a range toy I'd probably pick one up again in that price range over the Tikka.

My take, having owned two of the five rifles listed and shot the remaining three:

Overall Quality:
Tikka/Bergara tie, then RPR/Christensen tie, then Savage

Aftermarket Upgrades:
Bergara/Christensen (both R700), then Tikka, then Savage, then RPR

Now, by brand:

Bergara:
The upgradability is always there because it's an R700 clone. Good quality and solid build. I had the pro model in 6 CM which has a Triggertech Diamond trigger and fluted, stainless bolt. I really enjoyed the rifle. Sold it when I got my 6 BRA. Bergara barrels are among the better (best?) factory barrels, but they are also proprietary.

Tikka:
Very smooth action. Upgradability is good, but not what's available for R700s/clones. They shoot well and are solid.

Christensen:
A friend bought one despite me counseling for something different. I helped him break in the barrel and get a scope mounted. It shot fine, but I wasn't overly impressed by the overall quality. My sense was that it would not hold up under hard use - no first-hand knowledge of them not holding up, however, just my general sense after playing with it.

RPR:
Another friend had one of these in 6.5 CM and I put a fair amount of rounds through it. It shot well until it didn't. Neither of us could figure out why it stopped shooting well. Shortly thereafter, he had a custom rifle done. "I wish I would have just done this first."

Savage:
I had a Savage in 300 WM. It shot just okay. When the 300 PRC came out, I rebarreled to that caliber with a Bartlein. It shot lights out - again, with a Bartlein on it. I turned it into my "frankengun" where I tried a bunch of different things on it. But the quality simply isn't there and it annoyed me too much. Now, it just sits in my safe. I have likened it to my Jeep. It works when it works, then it doesn't. Also, like Jeeps, some work great out of the box, some don't, most have these little quirks - mine has this annoying little buzz in the firewall when the engine is under load going up a hill at like 3k rpm - the Jeep, not the Savage :)

Tikka over savage and I dont think its even close.

To me for a first bolt action a 223 would be a better choice for shoot-ability and cheaper ammunition. I'm not big on taking extra recoil I dont need. A 223 is no slouch for hunting or long range shooting. The 8 twist tikka can handle 73-77 grain match bullets that can take down elk and moose where legal. You can shoot farther and more accurately with less recoil. My second choice would be a fast twist 6mm and then the 6.5 creedmoor. Dont think I'd advise a 308 on a first bolt gun. Buy a stainless 223 first and shoot then get a few more (6.5, 308) so it doesnt get lonely. haha

Tikka over savage and I dont think its even close.

To me for a first bolt action a 223 would be a better choice for shoot-ability and cheaper ammunition. I'm not big on taking extra recoil I dont need. A 223 is no slouch for hunting or long range shooting. The 8 twist tikka can handle 73-77 grain match bullets that can take down elk and moose where legal. You can shoot farther and more accurately with less recoil. My second choice would be a fast twist 6mm and then the 6.5 creedmoor. Dont think I'd advise a 308 on a first bolt gun. Buy a stainless 223 first and shoot then get a few more (6.5, 308) so it doesnt get lonely. haha
Can`t knock Tikka, fine rifles. Having said that, wholeheartedly agree with a stainless .223 as a first rifle. Mine is. My Savage 110 Storm in .223 has been a great first rifle. Accuracy and functionality have been flawless with mine.

Can`t knock Tikka, fine rifles. Having said that, wholeheartedly agree with a stainless .223 as a first rifle. Mine is. My Savage 110 Storm in .223 has been a great first rifle. Accuracy and functionality have been flawless with mine.

Your bias comes fully to light.

I love it when people come on here talking about how great something is, and continue to say how great it is and is as good or better than X, Y, Z when they literally have zero real experience with anything else to compare it to.

In this thread you've made several comments insinuating experience like your comment on Berettas CS which you clearly have no experience with because you've never owned one. In another thread you made a statement indicating that Savages were more accurate than "any of the other rifles" mentioned that included Tikkas, Seekins, and others.

Telling the forum that you like your Savage is one thing, but comparing it to anything else that you have zero experience with makes you look dumb AF.

Your bias comes fully to light.

I love it when people come on here talking about how great something is, and continue to say how great it is and is as good or better than X, Y, Z when they literally have zero real experience with anything else to compare it to.

In this thread you've made several comments insinuating experience like your comment on Berettas CS which you clearly have no experience with because you've never owned one. In another thread you made a statement indicating that Savages were more accurate than "any of the other rifles" mentioned that included Tikkas, Seekins, and others.

Telling the forum that you like your Savage is one thing, but comparing it to anything else that you have zero experience with makes you look dumb AF.
I don`t think I`ve ever made a statement that " Savages are more accurate than any other rifles. " If I left that impression, that wasn`t my intention. I`ll gladly own up to making such a statement, if indeed I did, if you`ll kindly refer me to it. I do think Savage makes an accurate rifle, at least from what I`ve seen and experienced. I can`t realistically, PERSONALLY, compare Savage rifles with anything else because I haven`t done side by side, objective comparisons. That would be unfair IMO. It`s not hard to find posts on any gun related web site asking for comparisons. Most of the responses, IMHO, are of limited value because side by side comparisons are few and far between. Mostly the responses are just from fans of one of the brands touting that particular brand. As for Beretta CS, how do you know that I haven`t had experience with them? You know, Beretta also makes shotguns and I don`t think I`ve commented on the ones I own. It`s not difficult to find complaints about Beretta customer service. Matter of fact, I believe that there was a thread on Sniper`s Hide concerning it.

I don`t think I`ve ever made a statement that " Savages are more accurate than any other rifles. " If I left that impression, that wasn`t my intention. I`ll gladly own up to making such a statement, if indeed I did, if you`ll kindly refer me to it. I do think Savage makes an accurate rifle, at least from what I`ve seen and experienced. I can`t realistically, PERSONALLY, compare Savage rifles with anything else because I haven`t done side by side, objective comparisons. That would be unfair IMO. It`s not hard to find posts on any gun related web site asking for comparisons. Most of the responses, IMHO, are of limited value because side by side comparisons are few and far between. Mostly the responses are just from fans of one of the brands touting that particular brand. As for Beretta CS, how do you know that I haven`t had experience with them? You know, Beretta also makes shotguns and I don`t think I`ve commented on the ones I own. It`s not difficult to find complaints about Beretta customer service. Matter of fact, I believe that there was a thread on Sniper`s Hide concerning it.

And now we come full circle to you admitting most accounts and comparisons online can't be trusted because it's mostly fanboys of any given brand lol. There are plenty of people who have had experience with multiple platforms but they're drowned out by fanboys that know nothing else and there's has to be the best.

I was mistaken on one of the comments, it was another Savage fanboy that probably also has no experience with anything else:

But you're still in there making the same dumb comments about not mentioning anything but Tikka on this website like somehow everybody here is brand loyal to them, I think you're mistaking this forum with Rokslide. I don't even currently own a Tikka but have had several along with a shit load of other bolt guns, including salvages.

I doubted your ownership of anything Beretta branded, and instead of giving an actual example of an experience with their CS you make two statements about reports of their CS online instead which all but confirms you have no direct experience. I have experience with Beretta CS on a Sako TRG that the stock broke and they do suck, and I also have CS experience with Savage on a 110 LRH that shot 6"+ groups and they sent back saying its fine, so they suck too. At least Beretta fixed the shit after going back and forth with them. If I needed a rifle and they were the only two options I'd pay double retail for a Tikka before I'd take a Savage for free.

speaking about reviewing what you own or have sufficient experience with... one gun I'm sad is no longer made are the german mauser set trigger actions. done quite a bit of shooting with one in 7x66SE vom Hofe, and that thing kicks like a mule, but its cold bore shots are incredible. Barrel profile is too thin for an extended firing schedule though, and I've always wondered what it would be like to stuff a heavier barrel on one that could handle the firing schedule. Not about to do that to a rare action with a barrel that's still good though!

back on the subject of starter bolt actions, Ruger and Tikka far outclass most of the savage offerings, Bergara is an interesting thing because of the proprietary barrel.
If you're willing to build or have a gunsmith assemble a starter bolt, then building off a Howa or the new Aero Precision builder actions isn't the worst thing in the world.
Option 3 which is going to make most here on the hide cringe: Get a $400 TC compass II and spend the rest on ammo/instruction to learn the fundamentals, and get to the point where the limiting factor is the rifle and not you. Then you'll have a much better idea of what it is you actually want out of a precision rifle.

Reactions: Bender and Modoc
And now we come full circle to you admitting most accounts and comparisons online can't be trusted because it's mostly fanboys of any given brand lol. There are plenty of people who have had experience with multiple platforms but they're drowned out by fanboys that know nothing else and there's has to be the best.

I was mistaken on one of the comments, it was another Savage fanboy that probably also has no experience with anything else:

But you're still in there making the same dumb comments about not mentioning anything but Tikka on this website like somehow everybody here is brand loyal to them, I think you're mistaking this forum with Rokslide. I don't even currently own a Tikka but have had several along with a shit load of other bolt guns, including salvages.

I doubted your ownership of anything Beretta branded, and instead of giving an actual example of an experience with their CS you make two statements about reports of their CS online instead which all but confirms you have no direct experience. I have experience with Beretta CS on a Sako TRG that the stock broke and they do suck, and I also have CS experience with Savage on a 110 LRH that shot 6"+ groups and they sent back saying its fine, so they suck too. At least Beretta fixed the shit after going back and forth with them. If I needed a rifle and they were the only two options I'd pay double retail for a Tikka before I'd take a Savage for free.
Well, I think this back and forth is really pointless , don`t you? Nobody`s convincing anybody of anything and I`m not interested in personal attacks. I`m fine with just trying to enjoy the site for the information it presents. Let`s just move on.

• Haha
Reactions: redneckbmxer24