• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Bolt Gun (budget build)

TxAggie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2009
College Station, Tx
was just killing time at a local gun show, when I picked up a Rem .308 sps-tactical for $500. I thought is was a good price and had been really wanting a gun that could reach out to 500 yards or better (but I'm a poor college student).

SPS-T .308
NCstar scope
crappy base and rings
Gunstart.jpg

Next weekend I went out and squeezed the trigger a few times in about a 25-30 MPH wind. I managed about 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards, but quickly discovered truly how junky these scopes were.

Next weekend had better condition and more time, so I built a target stand and shot off the back of my truck. I managed one 1 in group and another 1.5 inch group both at 100 yards. After shooting those groups I was attempting to shoot the wood screws and the scope broke... and I mean you cant see through it anymore broke.
targetstand.jpg

firstgroups.jpg

I now have A Bushnell 4200, EGW 20moa base, and burris medium Xtreme rings on the way. This was all shipped for less than 650 (cant remember exact price) So no the total price is 1150.

I have two major dislike about my gun; the trigger has got to be the worst of all my rifles, and the stock seems way to weak and uncomfortable. The stock will probably be replaced by either a B&C light tactical or HS take off. I am still unsure about the trigger, but my goal is to have a decent shooter under 1500.

any in-sight or help would be appreciated.

Re: First Bolt Gun (budget build)

a rifle basix trigger can be had for about 125 bucks and that will solve that problem.

Takeoff stocks are about 200 bucks or so.

Those will put you right at 1500.

rrflyer is dead on. Those NC Star scopes are absolute junk by the way. It looks like you found that out tho. Sounds like you made some good choices on your optics/rings/base. Your well on your way.

You can adjust your trigger yourself for free. That will help alot. Instructions are all over the internet. Its easy.

Not sure if you were using match ammo, but that also helps.

Shooting off a vehicle has been unsteady in my experience. Get some sand bags or a harris bipod and rear bad and shoot off the ground or a solid bench.

You can get a HS precision LTR or PSS stock for $150 to 250 if you look around.

Might want to try 5 shot groups. And dryfiring. Dryfire helps alot. Lots of good info in the Advanced Marksmanship forum.

Good luck.
-dan

i hear you there i got a winchester model 70 in the 300 win mag with scope i am 550 with everything. something to get started until you get finacialy where you can spend 2000.

mine aint nothing specail but i like it as i said started.

S6300472.jpg

Thanks, I'll look up the trigger adjusting for now.

I was shooting Hornady TAP 168 grain for the groups, and just some Remington cor-lock just to pull the trigger. I was using a harris 6-9in bipod.

Stock Remington triggers are trash, though you can adjust them to be okay, though you'd be better off just getting a rifle basix trigger in my opinion.

Can't go wrong with the 700 though, next thing to get is glass and rings. That is to say, glass and rings that do the 700 justice.

Had problems with the rifle basix I put in my 700. Move the bolt hard/fast, firing pin drops. Then I got very inconistent trigger pulls.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had problems with the rifle basix I put in my 700. Move the bolt hard/fast, firing pin drops. Then I got very inconistent trigger pulls.

-dan </div></div>

How did you fix this problem?

Going to adjust the trigger this weekend, then hopefully my new scope will come in next week so I can get some 5 shot groups recorded.

TxAggie,

Nice target stand, though a little over built for an engineer!
grin.gif

You'll find that a whole bunch of us have this same rifle; the possibilities are nearly endless. You can indeed get that trigger of yours to 2.5 lbs with little trouble and sometimes less. Just make sure to reseal the adjustment screw once you're happy so it won't back out. I know this how exactly???...

Anyway, get some match ammo, preferably a couple different brands as your finances allow and then shoot from a stable bench or prone to see what she is capable of in your hands.

The search tool on this site is much bitched about but is actually quite good and very useful.

Good luck.

HAHA I'm a chemical engineer so my dirt piling skills may not be that of a civil engineer
grin.gif

I went ahead and adjusted the trigger, as best as I could. There is a night and day difference but I have no way of knowing the actual force required to break it. I backed the top screw on the barrel side out about 1 3/4 turns. Then I went ahead and re-sealed with pink(statistically stronger) fingernail polish.
trigscrew2.jpg

Also these houge stocks appear to be complete junk. I was expecting at least a block of aluminum where the mounting bolts went through.
crappystock.jpg

Hopefully I can get some glass this week and get some better groupings recorded.

That is called "pillar bedding."

And buy a cheap reloading setup. You'll quickly learn to make way better ammo than anything you can buy...and you can do so for under $100.

I'm a broke college kid, too, but I love me some budget rifles.

Made it out to an actual shooting range today, should have brought my own chair but oh well.

20 MOA EGW Base
Burris medium rings
Bushnell 4200 6x24x50

One thing I didn't understand is why I only had to adjust about 6 MOA up with the 20 MOA base? seems like in theory I should have had to adjust the full 20 MOA. Overall I was very pleased, although I think my trigger still needs some fine tuning.

My photo skill are not up to par, but one day I too will have a camera you can't talk to.
newbushnelglass.jpg

All shots with 168 gr Hornady TAP, Shots not circled were adjustments.
afternewglass.jpg

your well on your way to getting some good groups and a little more fine tuning on that trigger and you will be set

Well I've been very busy lately but a quick update:

I sent my bolt off to AZprecision's to get a new bolt know and it came back looking amazing. Completely changes the feel of the gun. When I get some time I'll take quality photos

With some more trigger tuning and good ammo I'm now around the .5-.6 MOA. I still need a better stock though

5shots1hole.jpg