• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

first bolt gun help

1911vm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
I think that 2012 is going to be my first bolt gun. That brings me to the my question. I have a brand new never fired SPS tactical and a A5 McMillan stock . What do I need to-do to build a 1/2 - 3/8 gun. I have looked at several builders on line and they all look good. Keep in mind that I am not big on the looks the the matter of fact I kind of like ugly guns LOL. something about a fiat that runs like a ferrari . I would rather spend money on a good scope then on gun Bling-bling. thank you.

Re: first bolt gun help

What caliber is your SPS? .308? With that rifle and stock combo, I would suggest a nice scope, bipod and some good ammo. It will likely shoot sub MOA as is. You can always have it "built" later. I say shoot the hell out of it now and when you feel like its not good enough for your skills have it built or buy a custom.

Yes .308. would I still need to have some one bed the rifle? Or is this stock good to go as is.

now I'm gonna show my ignorance . I do not know . what should I be using ?

I'd recomend CDI's DBM.
I've got one and it's well made & not as expensive as some of the others out there.
Really their are several good choices out there, CDI is the only one I have tried and I've been happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911vmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now I'm gonna show my ignorance . I do not know . what should I be using ?</div></div> it all depends on what YOU want and what YOU're going to use it for. Do you need to hold more than 5 rounds? For a match/competition rifle I would get one of the numerous Detachable Bottom Metal (DBM) configurations this gives you the flexability of a 5 or 10 round magazine and faster reloading.

Welcome, I would suggest getting a good scope lots of ammo and the online training. Shoot the barrel out and by then you'll know what you need. I wish I would have done that it would have saved a lot of unneeded expenses.

I have a similar set up (SPS tactical with Bell and Carlson Light Tactical Stock) and have had great results as my skills improve. The sps tact is already a sub moa rifle. Id recommend purchasing good glass, bipod, and plenty of ammo and just practice.