• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Bolt Gun Recommendations

Crank1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Dry Ridge,KY-Jacksonville,NC
Well I'd like to get into some long range shooting. I always liked the 500 yard line prone, so figured this may be a good time. I've never had a bolt gun before and I'm looking at the obvious manufacturer, Remington. Obviously they are the biggest out of the box rifle maker out there. I've been looking at the SPS Tactical in .308, but I'd be open to other suggestions. Basically I want a good out of the box gun, but also something I can throw some upgrades on, to make it better.

Pre-Req's are:
-Must be able to buy ammo about anywhere.
-Must be relatively cheap. I'll put money into it, but not looking for a huge initial investment.
-Must be black-Or at least the guts black(Got a bit of OCD when it comes to black things.)

The caliber is negotiable as well. But just figured that 308 would be the widest available round and configuration. Thanks all.
Brandon

Re: First Bolt Gun Recommendations

OK, I'll start:

Get a .308.

Get the new AE MK II that now takes AICS mags.

Nothing wrong with Remington, but by the time you 'upgrade' a Remington with tourist traps, then remove them again, you will have almost as much into it - and for resale purposes it will always be a Remington.

Definitely a 308 for starters.

Savage 10FP is a good one, available with McMillan or HS Precision stocks, and the ability to change barrels/calibers yourself with the proper wrench and headspace gauges.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical, loads of aftermarket accessories and gunsmiths to work on them.

Seen some guys running Howa rifles and heard some decent things about them, no personal experience with these however.

Lots of good choices under 1K.

FN PBR or XP PBR (CDNN has a great deal on these right now)

Rem LTR, PSS, SPS tactical (want to change the stock on the SPS)

Savage 10FP

Tikka super varmint

I would avoid doing too many upgrades, avoid the upgradeitus you can easily dump more into these guns than having a custom gun built from the ground up can cost. So I would built it on the cheap, shoot the snot out of it, learn all you can, and then take that knowledge and have a custom built to exactly what you want. I went through that with my 5R, by the time I did the math on all the work I wanted to have done to it it was enough I could have a rifle built on a custom action.

.308 and .223 are going to be your best bet for popular calibers with easy to find factory match ammo for. 223 factory match ammo is a little cheaper but it's pretty close.

You are also going to have a bit of a drive to get anywhere near 500yds out here in J-Action Ville. At least you are looking at a .308, everybody should have one. Welcome to the Hide.

Digging around somewhere,ran across this; Savage LE Series,Model 110FCP w/ accuTrigger,Accu Stock-aluimumn bedded AND a detachable box magzine. 9.0 lbs,4 rounds ,1-10 twist, available in .300 win mag ,which I want,also .308 cal. Savage muzzle brake,heavy floating barrel,listed price for $ 875.00. I'm calling today to see if its in stock and avialable. Seems like a damn good buy to me! AND ITS BLACK!!!!

Give this a once-over. If you're certain you'll be staying within or nearly within 500yd, the .223 is more than adequate, for longer distances, go with the .308.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got a nice FN PBR for sale at the moment....
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...442#Post1051442</div></div>

Saw the title and immediately thought of this gun. Should of known BR would have already wondered along.

Still, a great choice.