• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First bolt gun

metalic

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
Illinois
Just picked up my 700 BDL VS from a friend
Just need to order the EGW base SS scope and thinking Badger rings.
Is there a better starter setup for rings and scope?
10X42 SS? my local range reaches out to 500Yds. but have access to a bottom that can easily shoot 1,000.

Good gun?
Can a hinged floor be converted to detachable mag without getting a new stock?

Thanks in advance

Re: First bolt gun

Not exactly sure about which model you are referring to. I don't see that model listed on their site. Are you referring to the varmint with the laminated wood stock, the synthetic stock or something completely different?

What caliber? Hard to know how to answer you without more detail. I would not look at the gun as good or bad, but rather right or wrong for the type of shooting that you intend to do.

700 BDL Varmint synthetic 308
26" Heavy Barrel
HS Precision full aluminum bed

From the Gun blue book they quit making it in 2004
I bought it from A local LEO that is a friend. The gun has less than 20 rounds down the tube.

I read on the net that it has a 1/10 twist, and the only difference from a 700P is no Detachable mag, and the HS stock is a little thinner in the grip area.

It will be a range toy a occasional yote gun.

Welcome.

Fill out your profile.

Decent rifle for starting out.

Decent idea for glass starting out.

Yes, but most will require inletting your stock.

The gun is fine. I bought one when they first came out with that model,still have it. HS Precision makes a detachable mag bottom metal that will fit the stock with little or no fitting. More popular bottoms such as Badger Ordnances will usually require some inletting of the stock.

Wyatts DBM is advertised as drop in, uses their magazines.
Mikes Guns, sales and service (jet Supressors) has a DBM system that is drop in and uses AICS mags. A little spendy, but when you figure the price of shipping your stock out and paying for the inletting, it is nearly a wash.

Also check Hooper Ordinance they just came out with a new Drop in DBM. He's good to go. He installed my bolt knob and will soon thread my barrel for a brake.

No, you don't have to get a new stock.
Check out TPS rings great for the money.

Yes, good gun.
BTW. does the 700p have a DBM??? I was thinking that it didn't