• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First build and barrel swap

Porterb123

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2020
This is a Tikka T3x. Swapped the barrel out for a Proof Research prefit . Lined the barrel vice with Leather sendero 24" barrel. I like tools so bought the action wrench, internal and external. The barrel vise is lined with leather. Worked well for Keeping the barrel from turning.
Yes the barrel to action was freaking tight. I'd guess about 150ft lb torque to break the action loose. Go and no go gauges worked as they should
Tomorrow I'll install this in to a KRG Xray gen 4 stock. I'll post a picture of it put back together later.
I'm grateful you guys are here. I've learned a lot from this site!

First sight in at 100yrds
Shot about 40 rounds of Hornady 147 match. Cleaned the barrel after each 3 shot group. Finished up with H Outfitter 120gr CX. 3/4 in groups with Outfitter. 1 in with the match ammo. One thing I really noticed is that it took exactly 4 fouling shots to settle down after each cleaning. I really enjoyed putting this together and the results.
Approx how long does it take to be considered broken in?

Reactions: GeoHog
Congratulations on getting your Tikka barrel off the action. I tried everything recommended, and still had to send my barreled action to LRI to get them separated. Regarding "broken in" ... that's a moving target (pun intended). Could be 50 rounds. Could be 200. It varies, at least for me, from barrel to barrel. Usually 100-ish rounds is enough to stop fussing and cleaning, and start shooting for serious load development.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Saving up brass already! It took a heat gun, deep creep and a piece of 1' sch 40 pipe to coax it off. Leather inserts and a bunch of torque on the barrel vise. didn't even mark the barrel
Thank you!