• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First build...and now a new place to show it off!

Hink

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2006
Amarillo Texas
Fellas...after a good while of not having any semi-auto rifles in the house, I took the plunge. I've been collecting parts for this project for a few weeks now, and I just finished the assembly today. Comments/criticism are accepted and welcome.

100_2656.jpg

Parts list
DPMS Stripped lower
CMT/Stag lower parts kit
Spikes Tactical pistol buffer kit
Bravo company upper
DPMS 7.5" threaded 5.56mm NATO barrel
Midwest Industries 9" midlength handguard
DPMS Bolt carrier group

Optic is a Leupold Gold Ring 4x resting in Weaver rings; both borrowed from another pistol.

Assembly just completed earlier today. Haven't had a chance to hit the range yet, so no idea how it shoots.

Re: First build...and now a new place to show it off!

Nice! Is that built as a SBR or a pistol.

It's a pistol all the way. Figured it's cheaper this way than going with an SBR that I may or may not develop an affinity for.

looks like you have enough loaded magazines to test it out.
grin.gif

cant go wrong with BCM

but really, whats up with that barrel?

The barrel is 7.5"...handguard is 9". I had a piece of six-sided 1" across aluminum, so I had a local 'smith cut off a 4" piece of aluminum, thread it 1/2 x 28 and bore a .250 hole through the middle. Then he turned about .020 off of the front surface for the circle you can see inbetween the points.

For reference, the Midwest Industries handguard front clamp horseshoe measures approximately .950 on the ID. A little dremel work was necessary on my barrel extention to make everything fit together.

JSTARZ -- the way I see, a magazine fed weapon without magazines is a great paperweight. Or I guess you could tie a string to the weapon and throw it at the target...use the string to pull it back.
smile.gif
M-16/AR-15 mags are cheap, compared to mags for other platforms.

so wait, what is the purpose of the hexagonal aluminum? oversized thread protector?

More or less a thread protector...and conversation piece.
smile.gif

The purpose of building an AR instead of purchasing one, in my opinion, is to be able to build it in the way the builder prefers. For now, this works for me. In the future, it may change.

that's gonna be one loud ass, flame throwing .22!!!

I can dig it.

Interesting look! Better hope the ATF doesn't decide it's really a suppressor, like they recently did with the GSG-5 'fake' can!

Build looks good! I just built one up with a DPMS lower also. It's plan jane compared to yours...lol no shiny piece in front to distract the bad guys

Rock, thanks! Building an AR is more entertaining, I think, than buying one off the shelf.

Nichol, I appreciate your concern regarding the ATF open letter on the GSG-5. The difference between the allowable and non-allowable 'fake' can for the GSG-5 is that the non-allowable can is hollow, opposed to the allowable can which is solid. Mine is solid, so there's no worry about ATF yanking my chain.

And it's loud as hell.
smile.gif