• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Build Feedback

PotbellyVandal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2024
Pacific NW
New to the bolt gun world and have been doing a lot of research here on the forums and other sources online. I have decided to build an NRL Hunter open heavy legal rifle with a max weight of 16 lb. If I have done my math correctly and the manufacturer listed weights are correct I should be just a tick under the magic 16lb number and theoretically even able to add a few pounds via weights to help if I decide to run it in PRS as well.

Since I am new to this I welcome any feedback on my current build list -
Caliber will be 6.5PRC
Lone Peak Fuzion SA Alpine Cut (ordered and should be here within a couple of weeks)
Bartlein Carbon Fiber Barrel 24" (ordered and received)
Manners MCS-PRS-TCS
Seekins Scope Rings
MDT Send-It Level
Bix'n Andy TacSport X, Two-Stage w/ Gator shoe
TBAC Magnus SS RR Suppressor (others in consideration but this is top choice at the moment)
Steiner T6Xi 5-30X56
Atlas BT47-NC PSR Bipod
419 Arca Mount for bipod

Anything standout as something I should research more or consider a different component?

Reactions: MarshallDodge
That was definitely a consideration. I thought about going with a medium action for it but that limited my chassis/stock options. I should be fine with it in theory as I don't plan to run anything heavier than a 147 projectile and using factory ammunition to start before I begin reloading.

The limited exposure I've had to carbon barrels has shown me that they are very finicky. I've helped two people do load development on their carbon barrels and they were both much more difficult to get tuned in than full up stainless. If this is going to be a target rifle, go stainless. If you're worried about the weight, save it elsewhere. The Manners TCS is pretty heavy - you could switch to one of their other stocks and save a few lbs.

The TCS is definitely on the heavier side. After I spoke with Mr Manners on the phone about this build he is going to do some mods to the TCS and lighten it up for me which will definitely help. Couldn't tell you exactly what those mods entail but he said it will definitely lighten it up a bit. I trust the man. The long range group I am joining locally has had really good luck with Bartlein cfw barrels so that's why I went that direction. I was originally looking at other options including steel barrels but after discussing with a few more knowledge folks I went this direction. They are going to help me with load development so I am not overly concerned. Worst case scenario I will swap barrels if need be.
Since this is a first build I don't expect perfection but it should be damn nice and I should be able to learn and then change components as I see the need.

The few boys I know that shoot nrl hunter a lot, and the winners of the grand slam last year suggest to base the build around a mdt triple pull. The advantage the triple pull offers you in nrl hunter is unmatched

Reactions: Emerson0311
The few boys I know that shoot nrl hunter a lot, and the winners of the grand slam last year suggest to base the build around a mdt triple pull. The advantage the triple pull offers you in nrl hunter is unmatched
I will have to look into the triple pull further. It’ll be a bit weight dependent as I try to stay under 16.

I will have to look into the triple pull further. It’ll be a bit weight dependent as I try to stay under 16.

Which is why they say build around the triple pull. Adjust what’s needed to be adjusted to make weight for a triple pull

Like a tcs doesn’t need to be used for nrl hunter. The pro hunter, lrh, carbon x, hnt 26 are options.

Dump the TCS go with a Long Range Hunter and get the 1.25 barrel channel. Use the MDT Bottom Metal and the MDT Triple Pull. You will be happier and below weight. Dump the 6.5 PRC and shoot 6.5 Creed with 143 ELDX factory ammo. It is well into power factor and you are well below the 16lb weight limit. I do not have a triple pull. I will have one by the end of this year.

Origin Action
24" Carbon Proof 6.5 Creed
SDN6 Suppressor
Gen 2 Razor
Manners LRH
Skye Pod single pull with Gray Ops Arca Mount.

I am 15.7 lb on this build with a 10 round metal mag loaded. I shave a little weight using the Magpul AICS Mags.

IMG_0554.jpeg

Absolutely ditch the TCS & get a LRH. A rifle with a CFW barrel in a TCS will be very rear heavy, no matter what Manners does for you (short of deleting the KMW hardware). I also prefer to use Hawkins or OTM bottom metal over Manners Gen2 Mini Chasis

Swap the bipod. I'd use a tall Atlas Cal or even a Harris over the PSR. That said, as mentioned above, the Triple Pull will give you a huge advantage in NRL Hunter. I'll be running a Hatch Outwest to try and stay under 12lb, but they're a little springy/flexy for 16lb rifles.

Ditching the TCS seems to be the consensus. I will likely keep my order in but might go ahead and place an order for the LRH.
As for balance, I believe the way Mr Manners was speaking about lightening the TCS when we spoke, the rifle will still balance well.

@R_A_W and @Defender32 Mind explaining why you prefer the Hawkins or OTM bottom metals over the Manners Mini Chassis? Is it strictly a weight thing? Also curious about the bipod suggestions over the PSR. I appreciate the feedback as this is an expensive learning curve coming from the gas gun/tactical world.
Feel free to PM if you'd prefer.

Reactions: Matt_3479
@PotbellyVandal I actually prefer the MDT Bottom Metal over any other. It has a built in adjustable mag latch and there is no way to make it NOT work on a magazine. The Hawkins has not treated me wrong and I do have 2 of theirs. 1 is a Hunter BM that’s flat. The other is their standard with LA mag release to make it work on some of my magazines better.

The triple pull allows you to be wide and short when a prone position is needed or just having to get a wide base to be on objects or hit a position marker. Then if you need to sit to be over an obstruction you can be tall in an instant to achieve that.

I ditched my TCS after 2 PRS matches as it was way too rear heavy for my setup. I shoot a PRS1-T, LRH and LITE Foundation Centurion & LITE Revelation. They all have a purpose and a reason for me.

Hawkins or OTM bottom metals over the Manners Mini Chassis? Is it strictly a weight thing? Also curious about the bipod suggestions over the PSR.
Manners Gen2 mini chassis is quality, you will not have any issues with it. I said that for 2 minor reasons… 1) I like the mag catches on the Hawkins, KMW, & OTM more. 2) My preference for a hunting rifle is pillar bedded & no mini chassis. The only exception to the above would be if you want one stock for actions from 2 or 3 different
Manufacturers

PSR is a personal thing, most people don’t like the pan feature, but some really like it. In my opinion, it’s far more likely to cost you stability. You also probably will never need a pan feature, but again some people do prefer the PSR to the Cal

PRC might be a bit "heavy" and be limited in a short action. 6.5 Creed would be a more versatile choice.
I was thinking the same. I may put my “wife’s” T3x in an HNT26 and order a carbon barrel in 6.5CM when I can pull a discount certificate off a prize table.

@PotbellyVandal I actually prefer the MDT Bottom Metal over any other. It has a built in adjustable mag latch and there is no way to make it NOT work on a magazine. The Hawkins has not treated me wrong and I do have 2 of theirs. 1 is a Hunter BM that’s flat. The other is their standard with LA mag release to make it work on some of my magazines better.

The triple pull allows you to be wide and short when a prone position is needed or just having to get a wide base to be on objects or hit a position marker. Then if you need to sit to be over an obstruction you can be tall in an instant to achieve that.

I ditched my TCS after 2 PRS matches as it was way too rear heavy for my setup. I shoot a PRS1-T, LRH and LITE Foundation Centurion & LITE Revelation. They all have a purpose and a reason for me.
I’m choking on the $$ for a triple pull, but I see no other issues with it.

I strongly recommend shooting at least one NRL Hunter match before spending that much on a bipod… this isn’t directed at anyone in particular

Manners Gen2 mini chassis is quality, you will not have any issues with it. I said that for 2 minor reasons… 1) I like the mag catches on the Hawkins, KMW, & OTM more. 2) My preference for a hunting rifle is pillar bedded & no mini chassis. The only exception to the above would be if you want one stock for actions from 2 or 3 different
Manufacturers

PSR is a personal thing, most people don’t like the pan feature, but some really like it. In my opinion, it’s far more likely to cost you stability. You also probably will never need a pan feature, but again some people do prefer the PSR to the Cal
That all makes sense. I have liked the chassis rifles I have messed around with.

As for the pan, that makes sense for stability loss. I was recently reading around tripods and a handful of them can sprawl way out and create a bipod level platform which has me intrigued. Being able to reach with a leg to touch the spot marker seems helpful. That said I question the time lost for deploying a tripod into such a low position vs a mounted bipod. The triple pull seems a bit rich for my blood so I will likely wait until I get a match or 3 under my belt before "upgrading" if I decide to go that route.

I built a rifle for NRL hunter Open Heavy division back in Dec. ZAI Origin action, TT Diamond trigger, 24” Proof CF barrel in 6.5CM, A419 Hellfire Match brake, XLR Envy Pro chassis, Burris XTR Pro scope, and currently running a double pull Cykepod. Comes in at 14 lbs 8 oz.

Doing load work up I didn’t see any issues with the Proof CF barrel and haven’t seen any stringing or other issues as the barrel heats up. I’m rationalizing that in a NRL Hunter stage the most we’ll shoot in a row is 8 shots (hopefully only 4).

Having shot a match I can definitely see the benefits of a triple pull bipod on some stages but yeah the price point is making me pause. I’ve even looked at leg extensions to get a few more inches of height out of my double pull.

I built a rifle for NRL hunter Open Heavy division back in Dec. ZAI Origin action, TT Diamond trigger, 24” Proof CF barrel in 6.5CM, A419 Hellfire Match brake, XLR Envy Pro chassis, Burris XTR Pro scope, and currently running a double pull Cykepod. Comes in at 14 lbs 8 oz.

Doing load work up I didn’t see any issues with the Proof CF barrel and haven’t seen any stringing or other issues as the barrel heats up. I’m rationalizing that in a NRL Hunter stage the most we’ll shoot in a row is 8 shots (hopefully only 4).

Having shot a match I can definitely see the benefits of a triple pull bipod on some stages but yeah the price point is making me pause. I’ve even looked at leg extensions to get a few more inches of height out of my double pull.
Have you considered ditching the bipod and using a tripod in any instances for the shooting positions? Seeing some that adjust from nearly flat on the ground to full height tripods and they have caught my attention. But with no experience in the game yet I am not sure if there would be a real benefit to this. Setting up a stable position perhaps a bit slower?

I already have a tripod as part of my kit. I’ll use it for glassing but will also use it as support for a standing or kneeling shot. Or as rear support.

The idea of the double or triple pull is to use the bipod for front support and tripod for rear support. The advantage the triple pull has is the higher height which makes it a kneeling shot as opposed to a low-kneel or high prone -especially if shooting uphill.

I already have a tripod as part of my kit. I’ll use it for glassing but will also use it as support for a standing or kneeling shot. Or as rear support.

The idea of the double or triple pull is to use the bipod for front support and tripod for rear support. The advantage the triple pull has is the higher height which makes it a kneeling shot as opposed to a low-kneel or high prone -especially if shooting uphill.
Please correct me if I am wrong - on an NRL Hunter stage your shooting position just has to be directly over or your support touching the mark, is that right?

"Arms reach" has been the standard at the matches I have RO’d at.