• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First build, magazine selection question.

SippinHoppes9

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2020
VA USA
Hello,

Setup is a Ultimatum Deadline with IBI 6mm creed m24 barrel. Chassis is an inlet fitted MDT XRS with proper magazine release lever.

I attempted to load and unload empty mags to find a lot of L/R slop ~1/2" in each direction. The magazines were magpul polymer .308/7.62x54 used for testing, well used in MPA chassis.

My build is to the point that I need to select magazines.

Can anyone suggest better fitting magazines?

Thank you.

Pictures, video even better, would be most helpful as the written description isn't conveying the needed information.

Reactions: SippinHoppes9
Can you get ahold of an MDT magazine to try?

Call MDT or reach out to them on here Via the two accounts below?

Does it affect feeding?

@MDT_Josh OR @MDT_OFFICIAL
I have not tried reaching out to them yet, this is the next step. I ran a few 6.5's up the ramp, they seem to feed OK but don't want to risk a chance shot. This is my first 6mm. I have not tried a MDT mag. it would be great if they could drop me one to try! it's going deer hunting corn fields in December so I'm on a timeline for data as well.

Figured I would ask here for opinions or experience.
Dang, that’s a ton of left/ right slop! Wow

Yes, enough to be concerned about for repeatability/reliability. A good mentor has mentioned to try Accurate mags it would suck to be down a few hundred $$ for mags that don't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I don't believe an AI, Accurate or MDT AICS type magazine is going to be appreciably wider than a MagPul AICS type magazine.
Much more movement in that XRS chassis than I see with AI or Accurate magazine in my MDT LSS XL chassis, I do not have a MagPul AICS type magazine to compare against.

more useless opinions from me: it’s hard to believe that any other brand mag would be appreciably different….also hard to believe that the XRS would have an unusually sloppy magazine well...got any buddies with AICS pattern mags and chassis setups you could mix and match to see if there’s something unique about your setup? Where are you located?

Reactions: akmike47
The mag release is sure moving a lot when you wobble the mag, I wonder if replacing it would help any?

unfortunately i do not know any other builders in central VA, Mag checks are out of the question. Got to make due while asking questions.

unfortunately i do not know any other builders in central VA, Mag checks are out of the question. Got to make due while asking questions.
I bet someone on here is in your vicinity we act like assholes, but don’t mind helping people either.

MDT supplied the mag release lever, ~-2.5mm. installed correctly per instruction.
I had a out of spec part on a product from them and they replaced it, can’t hurt to double check everything’s in spec on their end too.

my holidays don't include proof reading idiots, tough story but it's true
Or don’t, enjoy your wobbly ass mag 👍🏻

I’ll just be over here being an idiot with my stuff that works as it should....

Reactions: stewbud
I never noticed that much wiggle with the mdt aics metal mags lol at least not as much as that of the one you posted in your video but it does wiggle it does lol .

How much multi-shot, slam loading does your deer hunting usually involve? If it feeds, could you run it for the hunt and solve the bigger problem when you don’t feel a time pressure?

Hell, I’ll let you borrow an AICS 5 rounder for your hunt if you’ll promise not to fuck with the feed lips. Maybe a shorter mag wouldn’t be as prone to wobble.

Might be worth measuring Mag well of MDT & MPA for comparison of width and length.
Should be pretty similar dimension.

With it being a Magpul 7.62 AC P-Mag, is it hitting anywhere on the action at the front? The Magpul 7.62 AC P-mag is optimized for a Remington 700 so they extend the front of the magazine upwards which can pose challenges on other actions outside of a Remington 700. Also, this is a deadline correct? Usually, polymer magazines need a notch at the back for proper seating. We would be happy to see how we can help as well. Please e-mail [email protected] and we can go from there.

-Anthony

With it being a Magpul 7.62 AC P-Mag, is it hitting anywhere on the action at the front? The Magpul 7.62 AC P-mag is optimized for a Remington 700 so they extend the front of the magazine upwards which can pose challenges on other actions outside of a Remington 700. Also, this is a deadline correct? Usually, polymer magazines need a notch at the back for proper seating. We would be happy to see how we can help as well. Please e-mail [email protected] and we can go from there.

-Anthony

Wow, glad to see you guys active and engaged here.

It is a magpul 7.62x51 AC P. The action is a deadline. Before the chassis was purchased I spoke with techs at MDT about the action selection, the necessary magazine release was provided and installed per-instructions included.

Will do further inspection today and get with you all by e-mail with any findings.

Wow, glad to see you guys active and engaged here.

It is a magpul 7.62x51 AC P. The action is a deadline. Before the chassis was purchased I spoke with techs at MDT about the action selection, the necessary magazine release was provided and installed per-instructions included.

Will do further inspection today and get with you all by e-mail with any findings.

The Magpul magazines are optimized for one action which can cause some issues depending on the action and chassis. They go as far as to note it on their website. Also, with the design of the Deadline the magazines are meant to index at the rear of the magazine cutout so it is possible there is added height as well to the rear of the magazine you are using which would cause it to sit funny. Is it tight to get it to fully latch?

*PLEASE NOTE:
Not compatible with smaller base diameter cartridges such as .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .300 AAC Blackout, etc. or larger short action magnums. In addition, due to the wide variety and potential combinations of aftermarket receivers, stocks, chassis, and bottom metal that accept AICS pattern mags, minor fitting may be required.

-Anthony

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
The Magpul magazines are optimized for one action which can cause some issues depending on the action and chassis. They go as far as to note it on their website. Also, with the design of the Deadline the magazines are meant to index at the rear of the magazine cutout so it is possible there is added height as well to the rear of the magazine you are using which would cause it to sit funny. Is it tight to get it to fully latch?

*PLEASE NOTE:
Not compatible with smaller base diameter cartridges such as .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .300 AAC Blackout, etc. or larger short action magnums. In addition, due to the wide variety and potential combinations of aftermarket receivers, stocks, chassis, and bottom metal that accept AICS pattern mags, minor fitting may be required.

-Anthony

Thank you for the response. Is there any suggestion on which magazines to use to eliminate this slop? I will email you all with further information

How much multi-shot, slam loading does your deer hunting usually involve? If it feeds, could you run it for the hunt and solve the bigger problem when you don’t feel a time pressure?

Hell, I’ll let you borrow an AICS 5 rounder for your hunt if you’ll promise not to fuck with the feed lips. Maybe a shorter mag wouldn’t be as prone to wobble.
Rifle doubles for trial and hunting. .22 is more my deal now days training younger shooters along with enjoyment. Can't forget pistol training, .22 is much easier, keeps the neighbors happy as well.

Thank you for the response. Is there any suggestion on which magazines to use to eliminate this slop? I will email you all with further information
Usually, metal magazines are recommended for the Deadline.

-Anthony