• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First build, new to LR, looking for thoughts on my components

uhg

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Wondering if anyone could critique my prospective build? Any thoughts are welcome. I'm targeting a mid weight 6.5 CM rifle but I'd like to eventually play with 7mm SAUM or RUM and maybe one or two others with just a DIY barrel/bolt face swap.

Bighorn Origin SA left hand
Magpul Pro 700 folding stock with magpul 10rnd AICS magazines
24" 6.5 CM 1:8 shouldered prefit in medium palma profile, 5/8-24 muzzle thread (vendor recommendations welcome)
Timney 700 2 stage
Sig Saur Tango4 6-24x50

Thanks!

Wondering if anyone could critique my prospective build? Any thoughts are welcome. I'm targeting a mid weight 6.5 CM rifle but I'd like to eventually play with 7mm SAUM or RUM and maybe one or two others with just a DIY barrel/bolt face swap.

Bighorn Origin SA left hand
Magpul Pro 700 folding stock with magpul 10rnd AICS magazines
24" 6.5 CM 1:8 shouldered prefit in medium palma profile, 5/8-24 muzzle thread (vendor recommendations welcome)
Timney 700 2 stage
Sig Saur Tango4 6-24x50

Thanks!

Ditch the magpul. Go KRG for polymer, MDT for aluminum, or Manners for fiberglass/CF.

Ditch the tango. Get a pst2 5-25 for the 700-1000ish scope.

Otherwise looks great.

I agree with Boltyboi.
Don't put all that money into a custom action and nice barrel just to set it in a Magpul. KRG's are nice. I just got my first one and I'm becoming a believer. I'm also a fan of tradition style stocks. Manners are great. McMillan's work well.
Lastly, friends don't let friends buy Sig optics. At the least by a Vortex PST, Athlon Ares, SWFA SS, Steiner P4Xi, etc... I think Burris had some decent options around that price range as well; I just don't buy scopes that start with a B. ;)

Reactions: Boltyboi
Thanks for the info! Message received on the scopes, I'll shop around some more.

Are there problems with the magpul? I'm kinda limited on options because I'm looking for a left handed folder which basically restricts me to the magpul and the KRG Whiskey 3 which is ~$500 more expensive.

Reactions: Bakwa
KRG Bravo is amazing value for money for a chassis, that would be where I would steer you. It doesn't have a folding option, though personally I think that's more of a "nice to have" then "need to have" feature. I have four precision rifles, none of them have folders, and I don't feel that holds me back in any way.

Bighorn Origin seems like a great feature rich action for the price, so I certainly wouldn't steer you away from that. Any of the consistently recommended gunsmiths on here will do a good job, go with someone you see being recommended here.

Thanks for the info! Message received on the scopes, I'll shop around some more.

Are there problems with the magpul? I'm kinda limited on options because I'm looking for a left handed folder which basically restricts me to the magpul and the KRG Whiskey 3 which is ~$500 more expensive.

The Magpul Pro is a pretty good stock. If you find a deal on one, I'd say, go for it. They are ambidextrous which is nice. My son is left handed and it was a pain to find a decent stock for a good price for him. I thought it was an added bonus that it would work for me if we needed to swap it out. They also have a nice adjustment for how close your hand is to the trigger. Maybe they were thinking about the Magpul hunter stock when they were referring to it not being very good. I have a passel of KRG stocks as well and I agree that they are nice, but until you get to the W3, they aren't nicer.

I agree on the scopes for the most part. I would look at the Bushnell top end scopes as well. They have a great warranty and rarely need them. Get ahold of Doug at CameralandNY and he can do a real good deal for you. They are other good choices too, but this is one that hadn't been mentioned yet.

Just quality control. There are plenty out there that work find for people. I have however seen more than one that did not do the barreled actions that sat in them the justice they deserved. Once in better stocks/chassis' they did a lot better.
And there are people on here that have outfitted their KRG Bravo's to LH. Doesn't seem too hard to do.

Edit: I also recommend calling Doug at CLNY. He's been a pretty helpful asset to the community when it comes to optics.