• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First build, now what? What would you do?

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
My first build and I finally finished the lower today minus buffer and buffer spring (slash heavy buffer and wolff spring coming tomorrow).

What would you do? I was thinking LaRue Stealth 16" upper with 10" handguards. Was looking for something that was accurate, quality built, reliable, and great customer service. Mostly inside 200 yds, target practice, banging steel, possibly small game and zombie control lol. I know I know, a little pricey and overkill for my purposes but I believe in buy once, cry once thanks to all the reminders from hanging around here constantly.

POF GEN 3 lower
2011-03-09203457.jpg

Wilson Combat TTU, KNS pins with JP LPK (less trigger group) regular pistol grip on there just to have safety work and not lose the spring or detent
2011-03-14115647.jpg

2011-03-14115746.jpg

Magpul UBR & MIAD in FDE, 0.70" buttpad
2011-03-24192133.jpg

2011-03-24192151.jpg

Excuse the crappy cellphone pics. Any comments, opinions or suggestions?

Re: Now what? What would you do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stealth_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lower looks great. How about one of Scott at Specialized Dynamics lowers? He used to work for POF and makes a sweet shooting upper. </div></div>

My recomendation exactly. And by the way, Scott was making AR's for years before he took the job at POF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> looking for something that was accurate, quality built, reliable, and great customer service. </div></div>
-that is Scott's work in a nutshell. You can spend the money on whatever flavor koolaid you like, but Specialized Dynamics AR's and uppers will shoot with ANY of them.

Next question-why did you order a heavy buffer and spring before you have an upper? The heavy buffer and springs are fixes for problems you probably won't have, and may cause problems if your upper is set up correctly....

sobrbiker883 - I talked with Clint over at heavybuffers.com and he recommended it. I planned on getting multiple uppers in different calibers.

What did you think about the JP LPK? I've got the same thing on order for my MA-Ten build.

Jumper - seems to be good so far. everything fit well, no fitting required. I'll know for sure after I get an upper. I didn't use the grip screw or trigger pins. I did notice that the detents for the takedown and pivot pins were pointed on both ends. One end is just slightly more blunt than the other. The LPKs I've see are pointed on one end and flat on the other. This could totally be normal? My first build so I can't really say if it's weird or not. I was just a bit confused when I was putting it together, I figured the pointy-er end faced the slot on the pins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin good. Be sure to post the final work.</div></div>

Will do, thinking about running EoTech EXPS3-0 with FTS 3x magnifier.

Why not a POF upper? They are very accurate and reliable. Get one form AVGuns or one of the hide vendors that has one in stock.

That or a GAP/APA type upper would be my choice.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not a POF upper? They are very accurate and reliable. Get one form AVGuns or one of the hide vendors that has one in stock.

That or a GAP/APA type upper would be my choice.

-dan</div></div>

I was actually thinking the same thing. I would patch a POF upper to that lower if I were the OP.

deersniper & KillShot - I haven't really bought into the piston koolaid* <span style="text-decoration: underline">yet</span>, but honestly, that only means that I don't know shit about them enough. I've heard nothing but good things about POF and their piston setup but like I said, no experience.

<span style="font-style: italic">edit: don't start a DI vs Piston war this comment, it's <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> what this thread is about </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterMcGavin33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for buy once cry once!</div></div>

most common motto around here