• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First can , best options?

ttomp73

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
Houston, Tx
I decided to get my first can , i have narrow it down to .45 , .223 or .22 , my brother has a .223 can and its not very impressive, i went to the range and someone had a .22 can on a ruger and it was super quiet. I recently bought a sig 1911-.22 , so im really leaning towards the .22 ( i have around 20k rounds of ammo ) . What do you guys think? Silencer shop has the can i was actually looking at for $255 ( Gemtech outback IID ) , someone has any experience with it? Any other cans that i should be looking at?

If your going the rimfire can route then I highly suggest the TBAC 22L-1 or S-1. Super quite, not first round pop, very accurate, and very light weight.

I have shot an Outback IID on several .22 lr's. From Ruger Buckmarks, MP15/22, 10/22's, even a GSG. Can worked great, super quite, accurate, and really light. You will be very happy with the GemTech.

Nothing wrong with the Gemtech but I would look at the Huntertown Arms Guardian.

I don't have any experience with the gemtech but I have a TBAC 22L-1 and it is super quiet and light weight. plus you don't have to worry about taking it apart after shooting to clean it. I also have a Liberty Essence and it is on the same level as the 22L-1 but I clean it only due to the fact that it may get stuck together if I don't. They are both lightweight but kinda pricey once you factor in the tax. I would not rush the decision to buy a can or base my decision on how cheap a can is but rather the performance/ features you are looking for. Just my 2 cents

I don't have any experience with the gemtech but I have a TBAC 22L-1 and it is super quiet and light weight. plus you don't have to worry about taking it apart after shooting to clean it. I also have a Liberty Essence and it is on the same level as the 22L-1 but I clean it only due to the fact that it may get stuck together if I don't. They are both lightweight but kinda pricey once you factor in the tax. I would not rush the decision to buy a can or base my decision on how cheap a can is but rather the performance/ features you are looking for. Just my 2 cents

I wasnt really basing my decision on the price alone but also on how quiet it was at the range, also i've read that gemtech has very good CS; How is Thunder Beast CS?
Does someone have any experience with AWC Titan Three?

I wasnt really basing my decision on the price alone but also on how quiet it was at the range, also i've read that gemtech has very good CS; How is Thunder Beast CS?
Does someone have any experience with AWC Titan Three?

TBAC's CS is top notch. They are very responsive. My TBAC cans haven't had any problems but I have called them a few times with questions and they have been more than happy to answer. I am sure if i had a problem with any of the three cans made by them then I most definitely would be taken care of.

I decided to get my first can , i have narrow it down to .45 , .223 or .22 , my brother has a .223 can and its not very impressive, i went to the range and someone had a .22 can on a ruger and it was super quiet. I recently bought a sig 1911-.22 , so im really leaning towards the .22 ( i have around 20k rounds of ammo ) . What do you guys think? Silencer shop has the can i was actually looking at for $255 ( Gemtech outback IID ) , someone has any experience with it? Any other cans that i should be looking at?

I don't know how much experience you have with suppressors, but your brother's can probably does a better job than you think. If you're expecting "hollywood quiet" you will be very disappointed in even a 22 suppressor when you shoot supersonic ammo through it. The sound of the bullet breaking the speed of sound is surprisingly LOUD. No suppressor will quieten that portion of the noise. As long as the bullet stays below about 1050 fps the supersonic crack will not be heard. Even full-powered 45 ammo will normally stay below the speed of sound, giving it very good suppression results. 22's will need to be fed subsonic ammo for good results.

Any full power 223 or 308 ammo will sound much like an un-suppressed .22LR or even .22mag through the best of suppressors, and many 22LRs that go supersonic will seem to be almost as loud with a suppressor as they are without one.

I wasnt expecting "hollywood quiet" , but the difference in nowhere near as noticeable as it is between the .22 suppressed and non. You still need ear protection on the .223 ( especially on a sbr) , so to me that defeats the purpose.

I'd strongly advise against buying ANY of the AAC QD cans; for that matter anything AAC at all. There is virtually NO customer service after sale and many problems with their mounts.

Have heard good things about TBAC, SAS cans are very good, just about anything you buy besides AAC you should be happy with.

Look into posts on silencertalk.com.

I'd strongly advise against buying ANY of the AAC QD cans; for that matter anything AAC at all. There is virtually NO customer service after sale and many problems with their mounts.

Have heard good things about TBAC, SAS cans are very good, just about anything you buy besides AAC you should be happy with.

Look into posts on silencertalk.com.
Sounds like a one sided opinion. I have a AAC cyclone and love it. I'm sure if you go on silencer talk you won't find any complaints with the AAC cans.

Sounds like a one sided opinion. I have a AAC cyclone and love it. I'm sure if you go on silencer talk you won't find any complaints with the AAC cans.

Must just be me, then, anschutz64ms. And peaceatwar and KYS (although he's figured out how to fix his). And there are others.

Matter of fact, AAC finally answered an email - or I should say Cade Patterson did - after over a year of trying to get through to them about my can's 51T problems (762 SDN-6). Paul called me back from technical Thursday afternoon. Guess what? The can was NEVER going to work. He said as much. Nothing I could have done to the flash hider would have gotten the latch to mesh. They're going to attempt a cut and past of the serial number and will make sure the QD mount and can work before the unit leaves the shop.

I also have a cyclone. Fine can. As good as my SRT Shadow. Also own a 9mm Evolution can. Great can. Would have been better if it had seals in it when it arrived. Never got an answer for THAT either. Just figured out from the instructions I'd need to order some - they do provide the numbers - but I shouldn't have had to. Also own an M4-1000 with the 18T latch. Drilling the can for set screws soon. This is one there doesn't seem to be a real fix for otherwise. I'll run this by tech when they call back, maybe I can save some time and trouble. Customer service. Warranty service. What a concept.

At this point, over a year since I got the cans, I'm getting a response from AAC. This because they're under new management?

If you state what your intended use is for the can, and what your requirements are for it, then maybe people could give you advice better targeted to your needs.