• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First can

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
So getting my first can with tax return this year. Will be used on 22, 223, 6.5 creed, 9mm and maybe 300blk if I ever decide to shoot it anymore. Debating between a Griffin Optimus, yhm r9 (not sure if it's okay on 6.5), or a liberty mystic x. Which would you go with? If it was in stock I'd get a bushwacker 46 but can't find them

Jack of all trade cans usually sound terrible...

If you plan on shooting 22lr through it, then you will need one that is user serviceable to boot keep that in mind

Jack of all trade cans usually sound terrible...

If you plan on shooting 22lr through it, then you will need one that is user serviceable to boot keep that in mind

basically what they said. If you’re shooting 22lr make sure it’s serviceable because 22lr is a dirty round and in turn will make the suppressor dirty af.
Also yeah if you’re looking for the best results noise reduction wise a jack of all trades can usually isn’t the way to go. Noise wise you get the best results using caliber specific cans as they’re designed for that round. It sucks, and it’s expensive, but your best bet is getting designated cans

This is just the first of many im leaning towards the griffin Optimus like I said unless the bushwhacker comes in stock in the next 3 months. Planning on this becoming a pistol can and getting a tbac 7 for the 6.5 and m4sdk for my 223

That's the plan eventually. First I want to cover as many bases as possible in case Sniffy and the Skank make them completely illegal.

The Liberty Mystic X will cover all your bases. It will be a little heavy on a 9 mm pistol. It will be a little louder than a dedicated rifle can on the 6.5.

Bushwhacker 46 and hybrid 46 aren’t bad cans like everyone has been saying but they’re not the best. My Hybrid 46 now sits on the end of a 450 bushmaster ruger american. If you’re planning on getting multiple cans and the biggest caliber you shoot is a 9mm... I would get a 30 cal can first. That way you’re covered on your 223, 6.5cm, and 300blk. Then just get a 22lr can and a pistol can down the road some (like a rugged obsidian 9 or 45).... believe me when I say shooting a hybrid or bushwhacker off the end of a handgun just isn’t fun. It’s not fun at all. The hybrid/bushwhacker will leave you very unsatisfied on all calibers accept heavies like (450bm, 45-70, and 458socom) IMHO... now if you only want one can and one can only to rule them all... get the bushwhacker... just understand that it will be not be as quiet and very unrealistic on handguns.

I would recommend a 30 can and a 45 acp can at first. The 30 can for all rifles and 45 can for all pistols (9mm if you do not intend to shoot 40, 10mm, 45...). later on you can add a 223 can, 22 can and 9mm can. Most rifle cans are bigger and heavier than pistol cans and may not have the pistons to make pistols work (not need for PCC)

Like others have said don’t waste your money on a “do it all” can, they suck. Once you get something worth while you’ll never use it and it’ll be a purchase wasted instead of getting something that performs a specific function.

Start with 30 cal as it will cover most of your bases, a dominus would fit the roll great.

Well if any of you all suggesting multiple cans care to donate to the "buying multiple cans without wife beating my skull" fund please do. I know universal cans aren't the be all end all but getting into the game I'm wanting to be able use it as much as possible and get more dedicated stuff down the road.

This will be my first can and later down the road I'm going to be getting these but not in this order
1. Tbac ultra7 30cal
2. griffin armament m4sdk2
3. Some 22 can

Reactions: Daleteam6
Well if any of you all suggesting multiple cans care to donate to the "buying multiple cans without wife beating my skull" fund please do. I know universal cans aren't the be all end all but getting into the game I'm wanting to be able use it as much as possible and get more dedicated stuff down the road.

This will be my first can and later down the road I'm going to be getting these but not in this order
1. Tbac ultra7 30cal
3. Some 22 can

Instead of wasting your money a knowingly POS, especially if money is tight, why not just cross one of the cans off your list and at least have one good can for one purpose? That would be the smart choice.

I’d spend the extra $$ for the Dominus-SR, especially if it’ll be getting used on a semi auto. An Ultra 7 is a good precision rifle can, but I wouldn’t mount mine on a semi auto blaster.

1. Tbac ultra7 30cal
3. Some 22 can

Why so many fucking guys want to use their wives/girlfriends as excuses not to spend money is beyond me. Lame as shit.

Buy the 30 cal can first if shooting center precision fire rifle is the majority of your shooting, otherwise prioritize the pistol or .22 can. As you said earlier, there may be no “down the road” if the two fucks (and their worthless, freedom-hating political party) who stole the election manage to ban suppressors. I bought all my cans over the last two years precisely because I was concerned about how the 2020 election would go for Trump.

So I’d buy whatever you can afford to do so now based on your usage patterns.

Reactions: Krob95
echoing @redneckbmxer24, what firearm do you most want to suppress? What firearm do you shoot most? What firearm will you most benefit from suppressing. Buy that one first. Going your way, you are going to end up with 3 suppressors that you use (at least) and one that collects dust (at least). When on a budget, save money by buying smart.

You might also like the Liberty Infinity X . It is a little lighter than the Mystic with the same performance and caliber ratings.

If you’re dead set on one can just don’t shoot 22lr through it. You can use 7.62 for 5.56 but t wouldn’t work as well as a can made for 5.56 but it’ll be better than nothing. Just don’t shoot 22 through it because most larger caliber don’t come apart since the rounds are typically cleaner and you don’t really need to clean them. 22lr is a notoriously dirty round and a lot of 22 cans do come apart for cleaning because they tend to need it.

i’m currently waiting for a griffin expolrr (6.5) to get out of atf jail. It will only be used on my 6.5 though but it’s a decent can. There’s also a promotion on SilencerShop with them to get a 100 gift certificate once the form 4 gets mailed and that’s pretty nice. I plan on getting another 2 cans so hopefully by the third I can just use the gift certs to pay for the tax stamp. That’s the plan at least

I’d buy one good can now and add others later rather than one that’s not going to do anything well. 22 cans are cheap, no need to dirty up a high end center fire can on a 22. For a do-it-all center fire can I like the oss 7.62 as it’s super rugged and has very little back pressure so you can swap it onto a gas gun without much fuss.

The buy one “do-it-all” can, for now, is a pain in the ass. Go to the range one time and wait for it to cool off so you can reconfigure it for another gun and you will understand...

I wouldn't own a griffin can if the fucker was free. Their build quality is garbage and the owners moral compass is beyond fucked. Between lying about service history and using his "position" to sexually harass gun bunnies on social media... fuck that guy. Not to mention he was so shady when trying to buy some NV devices from me that I actually terminated the sale.

1. Tbac ultra7 30cal
3. Some 22 can

Why do you want any Griffin cans, when you have other options like OSS, Dead Air, Surefire, Rugged and Thunderbeast??? I’ve read enough about Griffin Armament to stay away, especially when you have those other options.

Whats wrong with them ive got a couple of their muzzle devices and haven't had any trouble and I like being able to mount the optimus on different things

I’ve read too many things like what @redneckbmxer24 posted above. A friend has one and he thinks it sounds terrible compared to all his other cans. Just look at their cans and muzzle devices; to me, they seem to copy a lot of other companies’ designs.

That is all anecdotal and subjective, but to me it’s enough to wonder why anybody would mess with them. Especially when their are plenty of other options

Yeah still researching if I could get a 9mm can and something to run on my 6.5 for under 1400 with stamps total I'd get 2 cans. Thats pretty much my budget right now if I don't want said can crammed somewhere.

YHM R9 + YHM resonator gets you right at that $1400 all in for a 9mm can + a 30 cal can...

I wouldn't own a griffin can if the fucker was free. Their build quality is garbage and the owners moral compass is beyond fucked. Between lying about service history and using his "position" to sexually harass gun bunnies on social media... fuck that guy. Not to mention he was so shady when trying to buy some NV devices from me that I actually terminated the sale.

Hadn't heard about that

I agree with what most people are saying. Don't try to go the universal route, you'll just end up with a can you never use (once you buy the cans you actually want). As hlee mentioned, consider the YHM Resonator, it might leave you enough budget to get a second can now, either a rimfire or YHM R9. Those two cans will serve you much better than a universal.

Yeah still researching if I could get a 9mm can and something to run on my 6.5 for under 1400 with stamps total I'd get 2 cans. Thats pretty much my budget right now if I don't want said can crammed somewhere.

Dude don’t cheap out on cans, you’ll never be able to sell them and they’ll be expensive paperweights when you have to upgrade them down the road because they suck. Ask me how I know.

My advice is always to buy the best can that’s on the market at time of purchase. A $200 tax stamp and up to a year weight are damn good reasons to buy once cry once.

If money is an issue right now you can always get a 0% credit card that will give you 12-18 months to pay them off too.

The best can currently on the market for a 556/6.5/300BLK combo is a Dominus-SR. The best 22 cans on the market is a toss up between TBAC takedown and a Q erector. The best 9mm can is unfortunately still the Ti-rant but it’s an AAC and their QC is trash and if you find one in stock who knows if you’ll have a warranty since Remington just liquidated them. If I was buying a 9mm can today it would probably be a Silencerco Omega 9K but they have their issues too.

So here’s my advice. You could get a 9mm and 22 can and buy top tier and stay within your budget and probably find them in stock. You can get a 50% off TBAC certificate off here for $200-$250 or a 100% off for $800ish and then order your rifle can. There’s a pretty good backlog on them and TBAC doesn’t take payment until the can is made so that gives you time to get the rest of the cash together assuming you go the 50% route. 100% certificate would have no payment due of course.

Reactions: nn8734 and jb0311
I have a hybrid 46 and I only bought it because I planned to do just like you for a first can. I dont regret it however it isnt great. Correct diameter end caps make a huge difference but at 60$ a pop it adds up quick not to mention your asr adaptor or direct thread mounts and pistons.

In my opinion pistol cans are a waste, esp the hybrid, its to big and heavy to run a pistol. I also have a osprey k and an omega K that collect dust... You'll probably never use pistol cans the only time mine are used is basically as demos for new suppressor shooters.

I'm a big fan of the yhm cans when you consider the cost, I have a resonator and a turbo that I love so much that I have 2 resonator k's in jail.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the SiCO Omega 36. I believe they saw that the Hybrid46 was a bit too big for most, sot hey downsized it and made it a very good can. You did say 9mm was the top, so this would fit the bill nicely. Or, Get an Ultra 7 or SiCo Omega as a 30cal, then a good pistol can, I have a AAC TiRant 45m that I really enjoy using on my 9mm, 45acp and 45colt lever gun.

Dude don’t cheap out on cans, you’ll never be able to sell them and they’ll be expensive paperweights when you have to upgrade them down the road because they suck. Ask me how I know.

My advice is always to buy the best can that’s on the market at time of purchase. A $200 tax stamp and up to a year weight are damn good reasons to buy once cry once.

If money is an issue right now you can always get a 0% credit card that will give you 12-18 months to pay them off too.

The best can currently on the market for a 556/6.5/300BLK combo is a Dominus-SR. The best 22 cans on the market is a toss up between TBAC takedown and a Q erector. The best 9mm can is unfortunately still the Ti-rant but it’s an AAC and their QC is trash and if you find one in stock who knows if you’ll have a warranty since Remington just liquidated them. If I was buying a 9mm can today it would probably be a Silencerco Omega 9K but they have their issues too.

So here’s my advice. You could get a 9mm and 22 can and buy top tier and stay within your budget and probably find them in stock. You can get a 50% off TBAC certificate off here for $200-$250 or a 100% off for $800ish and then order your rifle can. There’s a pretty good backlog on them and TBAC doesn’t take payment until the can is made so that gives you time to get the rest of the cash together assuming you go the 50% route. 100% certificate would have no payment due of course.
I agree with your "buy once, cry once" reasoning. But there really isn't any such thing as a "best" can in any given category. Every can is a compromise.

The Dominus is a fantastic can, as long as you're willing to commit to TBAC muzzle devices. If you want to standardize your muzzle devices so you can move suppressors from different manufacturers between your rifles, you'd be much better off going with something that uses the Omega thread pattern, like a Dead Air Nomad (or even a YHM Resonator Gen2). There are lots of great rifle cans that could be considered "best" depending on someone's priorities and use cases.

The reigning king of rimfire cans is the Dead Air Mask, the only reason to get anything else is if you want lighter weight (which I'd recommend for pistol use), or modularity (don't bother). I'd recommend most people avoid aluminum rimfire cans because of the limitations on cleaning options, so if you want lightweight, go titanium, something like a Q El Camino, or Energetic Armament Nyx Mod 1.

For a pistol can, the Rugged Obsidian and CGS Mod9 are generally considered the 2 best options at this point. The Omega 9K is too fat to work well for handgun use, but does make a decent PCC option (also consider the Dead Air Wolfman, and YHM R9).

The cans you listed might be the best options for you, but they sure wouldn't be for me.

Probably gonna get the yhm r9 and resonator k after doing some looking. Can't get a credit card due to finishing up bankruptcy or I'd go that route. Whats the best route to go? Individual or make a trust to make it easier on family if something happens to me

trust makes it easier in the event of an untimely end, but takes a bit more set up. I believe most of us will have lost our cans and ar's in a boating accident if we ever die, so there's that. I have several in a trust and several as an individual, neither are very hard in all actuality.

Reactions: Daleteam6
If you want your wife to be able to have access to the suppressors without you present, do a trust.

trust makes it easier in the event of an untimely end, but takes a bit more set up. I believe most of us will have lost our cans and ar's in a boating accident if we ever die, so there's that. I have several in a trust and several as an individual, neither are very hard in all actuality.

yeah I second doing a trust. It’s easier to add and remove people if need be (imo) and in the unfortunate event of death. Unrelated tho I’m also planning a fishing trip soon...

If you want your wife to be able to have access to the suppressors without you present, do a trust.
Thats the plan and plus when our girls get older if they want to go hunting and I'm doing something else around the house they can still take the can

Thats the plan and plus when our girls get older if they want to go hunting and I'm doing something else around the house they can still take the can
Sounds like you want a trust then. Just keep in mind that even if your kids are on the trust, they can't use the can without you present until they're 18 years old. (not legal advice, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, that's just what the various online NFA trust FAQs say).

QUOTE="nn8734, post: 9089039, member: 80641"]
Why so many fucking guys want to use their wives/girlfriends as excuses not to spend money is beyond me. Lame as shit.
[/QUOTE]

So caring about your family is lame?
Any purchase thats not completely necessary the wife and I discuss it before either of us make a move but hey do you bub

A
QUOTE="nn8734, post: 9089039, member: 80641"]

So caring about your family is lame?
Any purchase thats not completely necessary the wife and I discuss it before either of us make a move but hey do you bub
[/QUOTE]

also pretty sure it was a joke...