• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First competition, on my birthday too!

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
Yesterday I was roped into my first .22 competition. I was shooting with a buddy when the normal Saturday group of old-timers started to show up for their .22 match. I had brought my .22 but the plan was to work on a load for my buddy's 7mm-08 and get him some more trigger time. He spoke up and before I knew it we were both setting up targets for the 50 yard match. Since I was shooting a basically stock Savage they said I could shoot the Fun Fire targets.

I normally just shoot from a bipod and rear bag which is all I had. They said that was fine while every one else was setting up these huge rests and flags all over the place. I've watched for wind in the past but never used flags or gizmo's to shoot. These guys had one of everything.

Here's what I was shooting:
P1040674-800.jpg

Basically the only difference was now I'm using a $40 BSA 2-9 with AO scope from SWFA and had the trigger guard installed.

First target was 246-9x with first miss at 16.
Sencond was 241-3x first miss at 5. I ran out of Wolf Ammo at the end of that target and all I had left was Federal bulk stuff.
3rd target was 225-1x first miss at 1.

I managed to take 1st place in the Fun Fire targets! I beat three other regulars! Not bad for a bipod and rear bag, huh! I guess I need to start buying Wolf by the case now and will likely use some up ever 4th Saturday now. Those guys were great and I had a great time. All in all, it might be one of my best birthdays.

Just had to share.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Re: First competition, on my birthday too!

Sounds like you had a great time. I got to race in a Red Bull event on my 21st birthday and got ahold of the number 21 jersey. That was my best birthday to date. Good looking rifle too. I'm planning on building up one a lot like it and paint the stock an OD green.

Thanks for sharing Mike!! It sounds like you had an awesome time out there despite some obstacles to overcome and move past. Oh, and happy last birthday too! I'm glad to hear you had a great time.

-Dylan

I wish we had a local 22 match.Heck I wish we had a local range for that matter.

Keep up the good shooting and congrats Mike.

Those are good times Mike.

I remember the first time that I shot in a Bullseye Pistol match. I didn't know anybody and it wasn't just a match... It was on a weekly league. It just turned out to be so much fun. I'm now looking forward to the next league.

When you go back, what are you going to set up differently?

I know for one thing I'm taking enough good ammo to get the job done.
smile.gif

I think tactics wise I may sit closer to the experts to see if I can pace my self with them. Maybe sit just to their right so I can use my free eye to watch their wind flags. I normally shoot with both eyes open but I was too far away from their row to see their flags.

Setup, I don't think I'll change much. I started shooting from a bipod a while back after getting tired of dragging a metal rest to the range or where ever I wanted to shoot. I eventually got to where I was shooting better with the bipod than with a rest and sold all of the rests I had. The rear bag is just a simple square bean bag.

I may read up the rules a little bit before we shoot again. The were kinda iffy on the rifle being stock since I ordered the rifle stock. One guy said that it was the same stock used by Savage but another guy pointed out that it didn't come from Savage, it came from Boyds. I'll shoot the normal 50yd targets if they want, it was fun just giving it a try.

Here's the 1st of three targets we shot. It was my best since it was all Wolf Match Target. I don't know what happened to the two that went wild. The wind was gusty and knocked over a few of there flags so maybe the wind caught them or I yanked it.

P1050521.JPG

We have an old farts group that shoots know your limits. 25, 50 and 75 yards. They shoot on Wednesday mornings. I am going to try and shoot with them sometime. They do 22 rifle and pistol. It looks like they have a blast.