• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Custom Action - Phoenix Machine

MichaelR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Denver CO - USA
It's amazing how long it seems when you're waiting for something new, and this has been no exception. Now that it's here it's waiting to be completed which will unfortunately have to be piecemeal, but it's a start!

Ultimately it's going to be a .308, with a Bartlein barrel, in either a manners T4-A or AICS stock.

SNC00050.jpg

SNC00051.jpg

Re: First Custom Action - Phoenix Machine

Looks awesome! I am contemplating getting one of their RR receivers and getting a separate PT&G bolt to go with it... I know it is not a good gauge since you haven't built it into a rifle yet, but what are you first impressions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks awesome! I am contemplating getting one of their RR receivers and getting a separate PT&G bolt to go with it... I know it is not a good gauge since you haven't built it into a rifle yet, but what are you first impressions? </div></div>

Why would you want to do that?

Very nice action BTW.

I was just in his shop today. Been trying to make it over there for months. You
want his bolt. The extraction ramp is far superior to the remington design, the
bolt is one piece and there is no fitting needed. You can swap bolts at will from
one action to another, They are all exactly the same specs. If you go with the
remington style you will have to have the bolt timed as with any other action and
if you were ever to want to swap bolt faces you would need it refit. His bolts are
also heat treated to a r45 which makes them far stronger than a remington. I don't know a lot of the details about a PT@G and certainly PMT has endorsed them. I had the same idea to save a little money but after holding the actions and seeing the difference I am sold on his bolt design.

First impressions are that it's fantastic fit and finish. The machine work looks excellent and he has a great reputation. This particular action very closely resembles the 2nd gen GAP Templar action and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

I would be pissed waiting all that time and they out the handle on the wrong side

I was under the impression GA actions are PMT actions?

I believe the GA Templar actions are made by Phoenix Machines still. I remember seeing a thread by George talking about receiving a new shipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks awesome! I am contemplating getting one of their RR receivers and getting a separate PT&G bolt to go with it... I know it is not a good gauge since you haven't built it into a rifle yet, but what are you first impressions? </div></div>

Why would you want to do that?

Very nice action BTW. </div></div>

Just read on here somewhere that it has been done and thought that could be another option than paying $900+ for a complete action. RR receivers are $400 after California DROS registration, plus another $250ish for the PT&G bolt = $650 for a semi-custom action. I realize a "whole" one would be better, just exploring options. A tuned Rem factory action with Badger bolt would be about the same...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be pissed waiting all that time and they out the handle on the wrong side </div></div>

Just view the pictures looking at a mirror and it's all good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was under the impression GA actions are PMT actions? </div></div>

The Templar action is made to their specs by Phoenix Machine

Templar Action

Now the big question becomes as I acquire the pieces for this rifle, and with GAP's lead time currently pushed out. Who/where would you recommend to send said pieces to for assembly? Or should I just wait for GAP to start accepting things again?

Looks like a very nice action.

If you don't mind waiting GAP is one of the top places to go. I asked around awhile back and a lot of the bigger shops are backed up due to the gun buying sensation
laugh.gif

Otherwise if you need something fairly soon William Roscoe is a great guy to deal with. He's making a build for a buddy of mine and he has been extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
http://www.louisianaprecisionrifles.com/default.aspx

Call a couple of smiths and see what you like. Some like to go with specific parts (such as one brand of barrel) and some will use whatever you bring to them. I think all of the tops smiths will provide excellent work and it might come down to turnaround and pricing.

I went with a surgeon round and one smith still wanted the full $350 for truing and chambering, another is doing it for a more modest $175 and will advise if there are any problems before the work is done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call a couple of smiths and see what you like. Some like to go with specific parts (such as one brand of barrel) and some will use whatever you bring to them. I think all of the tops smiths will provide excellent work and it might come down to turnaround and pricing.

I went with a surgeon round and one smith still wanted the full $350 for truing and chambering, another is doing it for a more modest $175 and will advise if there are any problems before the work is done. </div></div>

Pm sent.

You are going to love that action...I have been using one of the first 1pc bolt prototypes since Jan. It is one smooth action. This is the standard on all of my customers builds if they don't already have a receiver.