• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Custom Build - Need Advice

Lowe Left

Chief
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Arizona
Alright help me out here. I've done quite a bit of research and I am getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a new tactical rifle. I've emailed with Surgeon, GAP and Tactical Rifles. I've seen everyone post about Surgeon and GAP - pretty much a push. I haven't seen anyone mention the company: Tactical Rifles (www.tacticalrifles.net). Any recommendations on tactical rifles out there?

This is what I want:
Action: 700SA (maybe Surgeon)
Barrel: unsure of maker, but medium palma contour 26" .260 Remington
SureFire muzzlebrake - I plan to buy supressor at later date.
AICS stock
Scope: Nightforce 3.5-15 x50mm F1

I would like to shoot some competitions once I learn how to shoot this stick. I will carry the rifle on a few coyote/deer/antelope/javelina hunts.

What do you think? What twist would you recommend 1:9?

OK - Beat me up.

Re: First Custom Build - Need Advice

Your build is similar to mine, done by Terry Cross:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=97181&Number=1064465

I have a Rem 700 factory action, but a Surgeon would be a nice upgrade.
Mine is a 24" heavy palma Krieger, the medium would be nice too. There are a lot of good barrel makers, use whoever your builder recommends. Mine is a 1:8.5 twist, I think the typical twist for the .260 and heavy bullets is 1:8 or 1:8.5.
I had my muzzle threaded and a thread protector made, it leaves my options open as to which brand of suppressor to get.
AICS stock is good to go, I used Terry's Sentinel stock which kinda feels similar.
I need a scope, that Nightforce should work well.

Sounds like a good plan.

Don't forget your bottom metal and trigger. I also went through the rifle build in a 260, and ended up with a Surgeon action, Jewell trigger, Manners T4, Badger DBM, Bartlein barrel, Tubb brake, NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R1. It's a tack driver.
I'd look at a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist. This way you can shoot the 140 grain bullets in 260.
What is the F1 nightforce reticle? I'd go woth the NP-R1 with MOA turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What is the F1 nightforce reticle? </div></div>

I think he means FFP

If you're planning to shoot in competitions, you should consider an First Focal Plane scope. Don't know if Nightforce makes one yet. If not, check out the Premier scope. It's more mulla, but a Second Focal Plane scope has limitations you will quickly run into in a dynamic situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What is the F1 nightforce reticle? </div></div>

I think he means FFP </div></div>

Yes First Focal Plane is designated as the F1 model on Nightforce optics.

SofaKing

Welcome to the Hide first off.

Surgeon Actions would be an excent choice.I also Like Stillers TAC30 which has the same footprint as a Remington Action.

Also just a bit of advice before you drop $800.00 plus on a AICS stock see if you can get bebind one and try it first.You may not Like the AICS stock.I have owned an AICS 1.5 and I never liked it,AICS are either you love them or you hate them.In my case I fall in the latter category ,I just never could get comfortable position behind one.Now my friend loves his so much I think he sleeps with it.I should also add I own a Manner GAT and love it! So go figure. If you do buy an AICS buy from Stacey Blankenship,
he will treat you right and is he's a member of the Hide.

I would look at the McMillan A5 and Manner line of Tactical stocks. Rich

http://www.viperactions.com/

Thank you all for the input - I will consider ALL the options and once I get the stick I will post a pic of stick&targets. Nobody is commenting on Tactical Rifles - makes me a little nervous - their customer communication has been spot on so far. Anyone deal with them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you all for the input - I will consider ALL the options and once I get the stick I will post a pic of stick&targets. Nobody is commenting on Tactical Rifles - makes me a little nervous - their customer communication has been spot on so far. Anyone deal with them? </div></div>

I did a quick search, this is what I came up with:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, they use tight match chambers in a tactical rifle, I bet I break one down here inside a week....

In the last 3 week alone we broke 4 - SR25's, 4 Leupold M3's, and a Remington Firing pin on a precision rifle, and it's only Wednesday.

This is the Bermuda Triangle of the Precision Rifle World, a lot come in, but not all of them come out the same.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they do good work, expensive yes, but decent work none the less</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ericrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yellowdog,
i had an m40a1 done by them. talk to Dave he is great, always returns your emails and phone call asap. price and turn around time are also very good.
Eric</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03bulletstopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine is due in any time. I got the call the other day..308 on a 2.0 aics. I have a USO SN3 here waiting to be mounted. I am hoping to get a range report done soon after. they are really great on the communication side. David is the one i delt with and he was great. after doing alot of research it seemed like most of the top shelf builder all produce rifles that are very capable. there are shops out there that have a lot of rifles out in the hands of very capable shooters and brand loyalty runs very deep in this game. I went with TR since what they seem to offer was in line with most of the others abd the time line was supposed to be shorter and my time line stretched by a few months. So i have been waiting to get out and ring some steel.

Craig</div></div>

From this thread, I can't tell for sure whether he's talking about Tactical Rifles, Brownells, or some other company.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">forgot about that one, saw it in brownells also. They have a serious chip on their shoulder, so caveat emptor. Some of the rudest customer service ever when inquiring about a rifle. Then after I told them i'd rather build it myself, they told me they were short on smiths and asked if I wanted a job... the whole thing left me a little inky feeling...

I'll send my money elsewhere. But for parts, they might be just fine.

</div></div>

RedSC,

Thanks for the research I truly appreciate it. Yesterday I spoke with Terry Cross (KMW) and Craig with Tactical Rifle - So far TR's customer service has been nothing short of outstanding. I've got a few more months to settle on a Smith and get this build done. I'm going to call George (GAP) and see what kind of wait time he has. What would you guys suggest concerning brakes / suppressors. I may shoot this at f class so - no brake. Should I just make sure the brake/suppressor have same threads & use a thread protector when I shoot f class? What do you guys do? Please don't tell me you have 2 or 10 rifles - I can only afford one at the moment. I'm also really leaning to the Sentinel stock by KMW any opinions?

LW

I would send it to Jered at American Precison Arms to im biased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I want:
Action: 700SA (maybe Surgeon)
Barrel: unsure of maker, but medium palma contour 26" .260 Remington
SureFire muzzlebrake - I plan to buy supressor at later date.
AICS stock
Scope: Nightforce 3.5-15 x50mm F1

I would like to shoot some competitions once I learn how to shoot this stick. I will carry the rifle on a few coyote/deer/antelope/javelina hunts.

What do you think? What twist would you recommend 1:9?

OK - Beat me up.</div></div>

Go with a Broughton 5c Barrel 1-8.5 twist for 139-142 bullets.
Dont put a surefire brake on it. Just have them thread the barrel and put a cap on it.
AICS stock is good.

Yes, if you shoot F class, you will need a thread protector on the barrel. The gunsmith is really a choice up to you. But do get behind the stocks you are thinking about. I am aslo one who does not like the AI thumb hole stocks. I can shoot them, but they are not my favorite.

Sofa you had better get some more info on Tacticalrifles.net. We had a guy with one down at RO in Oct who really had issues!!!!

Do your homework!!

DAG,

What was or were the issue(s)? Please tell me more.
Thanks!!

I don't remember all of them, besides trigger and fit, but Frank and Jacob were working on it for the first 3 days of the class. PM Lowlight I'm sure he can give you the particulars.

Yeah definitely try out the AICS, you might think it looks sweet but i've heard of a considerable amount of people not being comfortable with it/hating shooting with it.

However, never heard anyone complain about McMillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I may shoot this at f class so - no brake. Should I just make sure the brake/suppressor have same threads & use a thread protector when I shoot f class?
</div></div>

I would get it threaded and use a thread-on can, not a can with a brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm also really leaning to the Sentinel stock by KMW any opinions?

LW </div></div>

As far as I know, you have to buy the whole rifle from Terry to get the Sentinel, but it's a great stock, I really like it. It's a matter of opinion, though, you really need to get behind some different stocks to see what you like. Everyone's preferences are different, and yours won't necessarily be what you think they'd be from looking at pics. Your profile isn't filled out so I can't tell where you are located, but you probably have Hide members near you that will let you try their rifles.