• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

first custom build

utahyote

Sergeant at arms
Minuteman
Guys I am starting on my first custom build here are my specs ;

22-250 AI
Big Horn sporter action
Holland recoil lug
Jewell trigger
Pac-nor .224 1:8 twist 5 groove barrel finished at 24" #5 sporter contour
Mcmillian remington game scout stock
PTG bdl aluminum bottom metal
Rings seekins, bighorn 20 moa rail.
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope with the HV 600 reticle and zero stops

What do you guys think. This will be my main predator calling rifle. Jon Beanland is doing my smithing. Also what rings and bases would you put on this rig?

Re: first custom build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why limit yourself with a 12 twist? </div></div>

I think I know where your going get a 8 or 9 twist and throw the 75-90 grain bullets. But I want to keep my speed up. I know a coyote doesn't know after or before he's dead, but that's just me.

I like Seekins rings and bases. If the stock has not been purchased yet look at the new McMillan Game Scout. I hate how all hunting stocks have a curved palm area. It makes it very difficult to have a 90 degree finger engagement on the trigger. The tactical line such as the A4 and A5 have a more vertical hand rest which resolves this.

The new Game scout incorporates this. If I build a hunting rig it is tops on the list.

Sounds like you got it figured out!

How about the base that AJ makes for the action, and a set of Seekins rings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you got it figured out!

How about the base that AJ makes for the action, and a set of Seekins rings? </div></div>

I like that Jeff. Aj moa base looks real nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why limit yourself with a 12 twist? </div></div>

I think I know where your going get a 8 or 9 twist and throw the 75-90 grain bullets. But I want to keep my speed up. I know a coyote doesn't know after or before he's dead, but that's just me.</div></div>

So get an 8 twist and you can still shoot the lighter bullets and keep your speed. Down the road you may want to jump to the 75-80gr bullets and you will be prepared. Plus if you decide to sell it, it will move faster with an 8 twist barrel than a 12. (Trust me, I am a full fledged rifle A.D.D. expert.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why limit yourself with a 12 twist? </div></div>

I think I know where your going get a 8 or 9 twist and throw the 75-90 grain bullets. But I want to keep my speed up. I know a coyote doesn't know after or before he's dead, but that's just me.</div></div>

Its not just the kill, typically the heavies are more accurate. Just depends how far you want to push it and buck the wind etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why limit yourself with a 12 twist? </div></div>

So get an 8 twist and you can still shoot the lighter bullets and keep your speed. Down the road you may want to jump to the 75-80gr bullets and you will be prepared. Plus if you decide to sell it, it will move faster with an 8 twist barrel than a 12. (Trust me, I am a full fledged rifle A.D.D. expert.) </div></div>

Well you made a very good point. I called pac-nor and changed it to a 8 twist. What velocity do you think I can expect with that twist and 60 grain bergers out of a 24" barrel.

Rob, the tighter twist sure would leave a lot of options open for you.
I think you made the right choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well you made a very good point. I called pac-nor and changed it to a 8 twist. What velocity do you think I can expect with that twist and 60 grain bergers out of a 24" barrel.</div></div>

I would imagine it would be an easy 3800-3900. I've never owned one so I couldn't say for sure. Regardless, I think the faster twist is the way to go.

Stay away from the 50-55 grain Sierra Blitz bullets then if you go 8 twist. They don't handle the high RPM very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man if I could get 75 grain A-maxs going between 3600-3700 that would be sweet!</div></div>

that might be a little high but I was told by a friend that he had the 75's at 3550....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man if I could get 75 grain A-maxs going between 3600-3700 that would be sweet!</div></div>

that might be a little high but I was told by a friend that he had the 75's at 3550.... </div></div>

Yeah I am sure I am dreaming. But I am glad you helped talk me into the faster twist!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man if I could get 75 grain A-maxs going between 3600-3700 that would be sweet!</div></div>

that might be a little high but I was told by a friend that he had the 75's at 3550.... </div></div>

Yeah I am sure I am dreaming. But I am glad you helped talk me into the faster twist!</div></div>

I'm sure you will like it better....

The 26" 22-250ai 8 twist barrel I have was getting me around 3300 with 75 amaxes using Varget. Right at the egde of getting ejector marks.

I could push mine to 3500 in the cold winter. You'll like the faster twist. I could still shoot the 40 grain vmax as well with the 8 twist. Never chrono'ed any, but as long as your using a tipped bullet. Hollow points turn into birdshot real quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 26" 22-250ai 8 twist barrel I have was getting me around 3300 with 75 amaxes using Varget. Right at the egde of getting ejector marks. </div></div>

My .223 AI takes 13.5 MOA to get me to 600 yards with 75 A-Maxes @ 2880 fps.
Running one @ 3300 would be a genuine load of whoop-ass on a coyote!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 26" 22-250ai 8 twist barrel I have was getting me around 3300 with 75 amaxes using Varget. Right at the egde of getting ejector marks. </div></div>

My .223 AI takes 13.5 MOA to get me to 600 yards with 75 A-Maxes @ 2880 fps.
Running one @ 3300 would be a genuine load of whoop-ass on a coyote! </div></div>

That's what I'm going for lol!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 26" 22-250ai 8 twist barrel I have was getting me around 3300 with 75 amaxes using Varget. Right at the egde of getting ejector marks.

I could push mine to 3500 in the cold winter. You'll like the faster twist. I could still shoot the 40 grain vmax as well with the 8 twist. Never chrono'ed any, but as long as your using a tipped bullet. Hollow points turn into birdshot real quick. </div></div>

So you think or know that a 60 grain berger will come apart out of a 250 AI in a tight twist? Just trying to make sure, I don't want that happening. So if its so who makes the best polymer tipped bullet in the 55-75 grain range? Thanks Rob.

I think you will like the 8 twist. I have a 22-250 AI in a Krieger 8 twist that I use for 300 yd score matches.I shoot a Berger 82 gr vld at 3220 using 39.0 grains of 4831sc .I can get more velocity but that is where my accuracy node is located. I got the 75 Amax up to 3300.
I suspect you can do fine with lighter bullets like 55- 60gr if not pushed to the ragged edge.I also suspect that the effect on varmints will be spectacular.This is only my guess,but I think that the "explosive" effect of a varmint bullet is augmented almost as much by high rpms produced by a fast twist as it is by increased velocity.If that bullet is spinning so fast that it is almost disintegrating it will likely blow dramatically on impact.On the other hand,the fast twist allows heavier bullets that will kill bigger varmints at longer range.There is not a lot of data around about heavy bullets in this caliber,so when your build is done pm me and I will share the loads that I found useful.
Darrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think my barrel life will be like with the 8 twist? </div></div>

better than the barrel life of a 12 pushing projectiles at mach 4

That is good to hear that I can push say 75 grain A-max at 3300-3500 fps and get more barrel life than say pushing 50 grainers 3900-4000. Would I be in the ballpark hoping I will get 2000 rounds out of my pac-nor barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 26" 22-250ai 8 twist barrel I have was getting me around 3300 with 75 amaxes using Varget. Right at the egde of getting ejector marks.

I could push mine to 3500 in the cold winter. You'll like the faster twist. I could still shoot the 40 grain vmax as well with the 8 twist. Never chrono'ed any, but as long as your using a tipped bullet. Hollow points turn into birdshot real quick. </div></div>

So you think or know that a 60 grain berger will come apart out of a 250 AI in a tight twist? Just trying to make sure, I don't want that happening. So if its so who makes the best polymer tipped bullet in the 55-75 grain range? Thanks Rob. </div></div>

I think the 60 Bergers will be ok. I was mainly referring to the 40 grain varmint bullets that have the larger hollow point.