• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FIRST Custom Rifle Build 6.5x47 Lapua for Tactical Comps / Hunting... BUILD SHEET opinions

UnlimitedResource

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2011
Here is what I've got Penciled in for "THE BUILD"

Snowy Mountain Rifle Company - SMR
6.5x47 Lapua
PROOF Research 1:8" Twist / 24" Carbon Wrapped Barrel / Sendero Profile
MANNERS - T2A Full Carbon Fiber Stock w/ Adjustable Cheek Piece
SMR - ELITE Action w/ Integral Rail & Lug System / Fluted Bolt
SMR - Detachable bottom Metal Accepting Accuracy International Mags
Timney Trigger
Top Safety
Tactical Bolt Knob
SMR- Muzzle Break
Vortex Optics - 4.5-27x56 RAZOR HD Gen. 2 / FFP w/ EBR-2C Reticle
Vortex Optics - 34mm PMR Rings

I am beyond Stoked to fill out the FINAL BUILD SHEET for this Rifle, but I want to hear you all out to hear your opinions and make sure everything is perfect!

I met with Snowy Mountain Rifle Company and took a tour through their facility to check out their actions and be fitted for a couple different stock options and discussed a lot of different options. Jason, Greg and Jim are incredibly knowledgeable and their passion for their work is unmatched. I know that there is no better hands to put this build in than theirs!

I also took a tour through the PROOF Research Facility and can tell you that there is no other Barrel that I would use for this build or any build for that matter. Their superior carbon technology and premier manufacturing practices opt for unmatched barrel life and accuracy!

LETS HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS. I greatly value your experience and opinions, Thank You

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 28
Just throwing this out there. It looks like a nice light weight-ish set-up, but then the optics is about as heavy as they come? Maybe its just me but it seems out of place. Dont get me wrong, I think its gonna be a sweet scope but.... Please correct me if Im wrong on the rest of your build being on the lighter side.

Just throwing this out there. It looks like a nice light weight-ish set-up, but then the optics is about as heavy as they come? Maybe its just me but it seems out of place. Dont get me wrong, I think its gonna be a sweet scope but.... Please correct me if Im wrong on the rest of your build being on the lighter side.

You are totally right. I was torn between 2 scopes. The Gen 2 RAZOR at 4 lbs. and use the weight savings from the stock and barrel to help compensate for the weight of the scope and have the most rugged Scope on the planet for Run and Gun Tac Courses and BackCountry Hunting.

Or go with a 6-24x50 Viper PST to save an additional 2 pounds.

I decided the added weight and features of the Razor would help this rifle anchor me for more precision with elevated heart rate and breathing.

I may buy both and swap them back and forth if needed!

Really like my SMR rifle in .308. Wouldn't hesitate to have them build me another.

Great guys make a great company that builds some of the finest rifles around. It's a great feeling knowing you're build is on the right hands.

Carbon wrapped barrels group size open up with quick strings of fire.

I have quite a few friends that have PROOF barrels and they are not seeing groups open up and have no POI shift during strings of fire. I agree that history with Other Carbon Bareels of the past have had poor success, but it's being proven that PROOF has spent the money to find the right technology's to crack the code when it comes to Carbon Barrel Technology.

I look forward to the chance to put thousands of rounds down the tube to find out!

That build deserves a March scope simply due to the weight (22oz).

This.

I wouldn't waste my money on the "PROOF" carbon fiber if you are going to throw out the weight savings with a boat anchor scope.

Also, I would look hard at the EH1 Manners stock for this build. Also save a pound by losing the adjustable cheek piece. Easy to add cheek pad later.

Also not sold on the "cracking the code" business. Still feel carbon fiber is a snake oil take on a lighter contour barrel. BUT I hope Im wrong. Keep us posted on your build.

Good luck.
DT

This.

I wouldn't waste my money on the "PROOF" carbon fiber if you are going to throw out the weight savings with a boat anchor scope.

Also, I would look hard at the EH1 Manners stock for this build. Also save a pound by losing the adjustable cheek piece. Easy to add cheek pad later.

Also not sold on the "cracking the code" business. Still feel carbon fiber is a snake oil take on a lighter contour barrel. BUT I hope Im wrong. Keep us posted on your build.

Good luck.
DT

I originally was going to go with the EH1, however it wouldn't give me the proper height for consistent cheek weld so I upgraded to their lightest adjustable stock the T2A.

The other problem I've experienced with Ultra light rifles is their inability to Anchor shooter movement/atmospheric conditions. With the Run and Gun style shoots, I think a few extra pounds will assist accuracy more than it will impede my physical longevity. At least I hope I'm right!

But I like where your heads at with the EH1... Just wish it fit :-(

I sure hope that PR barrel lives up to the hype because you can buy 3 premium barrels in the SH classifieds for the same money! I paid $280 for one a few months ago. I bought a Shilen Cert for $225 last year. Just saying...

Or look at it this way, 3 x 3500 rounds barrel life each = 10,500 rounds worth of barrels.

Might want to think on that some.

Not to be rude but I think you'd be well served to at least inquire with other Gunsmiths known for putting out good work and more importantly getting a commitment on a time line for the build. Nothing worse than waiting a unreasonable amount of time to get your rifle. IMO, 6 months is getting to that point. It's a very good idea to source the parts for the build yourself and send them to the GS. That way they can't use the common excuse, whether true or not, that they are waiting on this part or that part. I've seen SH members wait literally years to get their rifles back!

I agree, just run a regular medium Palma contour and buy another blank. Have that extra blank chambered, cut, and crown at same time as build so everything stays as similar as possible. You should be able to unscrew old and throw the new one on there and not miss a beat. Just my .02

I originally was going to go with the EH1, however it wouldn't give me the proper height for consistent cheek weld so I upgraded to their lightest adjustable stock the T2A.

The other problem I've experienced with Ultra light rifles is their inability to Anchor shooter movement/atmospheric conditions. With the Run and Gun style shoots, I think a few extra pounds will assist accuracy more than it will impede my physical longevity. At least I hope I'm right!

But I like where your heads at with the EH1... Just wish it fit :-(

this sounds backasswards with your insistence on using a carbon fiber barrel. you either want light and deal with the bounce/recoil or you go heavy and it "anchors" the rifle for recoil, but hey its your money.

Last edited:
Carbon wrapped barrels group size open up with quick strings of fire.

Mine has not. Can you show pictures of your groups on your carbon barrel, or are you generalizing?

ETA: To be clear, I know some barrels in the past have. I built a .260 for weight, and am able to shoot a ragged hole with a course of fire like I would have at the SHC or other competition, (i.e. 6-15 rounds in 2 minutes.)

Also, I wouldn't bother with the proof barrel if you are going to put a 4lb scope on.

Last edited:
this sounds backasswards with your insistence on using a carbon fiber barrel. you either want light and deal with the bounce/recoil or you go heavy and it "anchors" the rifle for recoil, but hey its your money.

Saving some weight while getting less or no POI shift and allowing me to trade the weight saved in the stock and barrel to upgrade to the Gen 2 RAZOR HD. I shot a similarly set up rig and liked the results. Just changing a few things to fit my likings better. 12 lbs is around my argent weight. If I swap out the razor for a PST I could cut 2 more mounds for back country hunts

Are you a Montana resident? I'm just curious how you decided on Snowy Mountain. I've seen their stuff, but never really read any in depth reviews, so I'm interested to get your opinion. They just don't seem to be talked about is all.

Are you a Montana resident? I'm just curious how you decided on Snowy Mountain. I've seen their stuff, but never really read any in depth reviews, so I'm interested to get your opinion. They just don't seem to be talked about is all.

I don't have any personal knowledge of the company but I remembered their name from the AAR thread from the 2013 Snipers Hide Cup. A .243 they made took third place.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-cup/193597-2013-snipers-hide-cup-aar.html

We know for sure they've made at least one pretty good rifle.

The new Razor seems like a very odd choice for this build. Also why is it either the new Razor or a PST for weight savings? Why no middle ground? MK6 3-18, PR LT 3-15, NF f1, march....theres a whole pile of optics that split the difference in price and and weight between the two optics you've listed. Just my two cents.

Skip the carbon barrel. Its not going to be good for precision rifle competition.

Why a 4 lb scope with all the other light components? I doubt you'll find it is more durable than a NF, S&B, etc. If wanting to go light, I'd look at the Leupold Mark 6. Its a sweet, lightweight scope with lots of features.

Also, for tactical competition the 6.5x47Lapua is a sweet round, but its going to suck when you're losing your brass all the time, plus it costs $1.30 each. You can get Remington .260 brass much, much cheaper...or even Hornady 6.5 Creed.

If I were doing a lightweight rifle for competition, I'd probably call up George Gardner and use one of the GAP branded actions that will roll with double-stack AI mags, the "GAP contour" barrel, the Manners stock you've listed, and perhaps a Mark 6 3-18x with Nightforce ultra lite rings. I'd probably do it in .243 or .260 Rem because of logistical reasons.

For hunting and tactical competition, its the indian, not the arrow. So long as the gun is reliable and durable, it will probably be accurate enough. If you shoot 1 MOA from every position, under stress, you're going to be an ass kicker. Rarely is the accuracy of the rifle the limiting factor. I'd go with a company like GAP because they have a long history of making working guns. Nothing will throw YOU off your game like a gun that doesn't function like its supposed to.