• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First custom rifle.... RBros 7mm Rogue

Catwhacker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2012
W TX
IMG_20130619_202212_763_zps75a6f393.jpg

RBros Rogue action
28" Broughton LWLR contour
Defensive Edge brake
Manners T2-A
Seekins bottom metal
Seekins 20MOA rail
NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR

Few more pics coming

Looks great.
Great caliber. I have the second one built by Travis. Shoots the 180's at 3100 out of a 26" barrel.

I still think I should have painted the star Hot Pink!

I am envious of your shooting location. Hoping to visit it this fall! For those wanting groups, this was rounds 6-10 out of the gun. The low left was a clean bore fouler, then the following 4 are the group. All breakin and testing is done prone with bipod and rear bag under field conditions for those wondering. I imagine she will settle in nicely :). This was with virgin brass, 180 Berger at 3130 Forming loads.

Attachments

• IMG_20130610_200607_697.jpg
    IMG_20130610_200607_697.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 40
Travis sends the load data with all his rifles. I shot 4-5 shots to get zeroed @ 100 & started trying to stretch it out a bit. I don't see the point in spending much time shooting @ 100. I've shot it out to 990 so far, she's lookin like she'll be a hammer. I've shot 1200+ rounds through my old Sendero in the last 7 months. I'll definitely be sending it to Travis when it's time for a new barrel.

Travis, I know of a pink RBros rifle in TX that's damn sure a shooter lol

Sexy beast you got there. Keep us posted on more groups and range reports. I'm getting parts together for a 7mm build and can't take the wait

I measured the 4 shot group Travis sent with the rifle. It measured .511" outside to outside, or .227" center to center. That's the only 100yd group I have. I shot it last night & this morning @ steel @ 520 & 645yds. Looking through the scope, it put 3shots into one blob. I'll try to get a couple pics when I repaint targets. I think I might be the weak link with this one lol

Congrats on the new RBros ! Looks fantastic.

Can't say enough about how great Travis builds his rifles...everyone starts sounding like their being paid ;) But really fantastic shooters.
In the upper tier of top notch builders, That and both Jesse and Travis are great people to boot.

What's different about the 7mm Rogue? Is it an improved WSM or something?

The 7 Rogue is based on a 300WM case. The shoulder is pushed back, case blown out and shoulder angle changed. There are a couple of other things as well. Runs 180's at 3100-3180 in 26-28" barrels with mild loads and has great accuracy and case life. The way this case is designed, the belt is purely a cosmetic issue. As a tactical build for competitions, I don't think it would be the best choice, but for a hunting/LR shooting, its perfect.
The full writeup is here:

What?s New » R Bros Rifles

IMG_20130625_205154_273_zps96edbaac.jpg

Thank y'all. Here's the first blood on her from last night. Hog was 491 yards, I'm still lookin for 750yds+to top my personal best. Killed a bigger (210-220lb) boar today @ a whopping 34yds lol.
Shot it out to 1440yds last night & 1290yds this morning. Getting awesome accuracy, so far & it bucks the wind REALLY well

The 7 Rogue is based on a 300WM case. The shoulder is pushed back, case blown out and shoulder angle changed. There are a couple of other things as well. Runs 180's at 3100-3180 in 26-28" barrels with mild loads and has great accuracy and case life. The way this case is designed, the belt is purely a cosmetic issue. As a tactical build for competitions, I don't think it would be the best choice, but for a hunting/LR shooting, its perfect.
The full writeup is here:

What?s New » R Bros Rifles

Thanks for the link to the article. I'd LOVE to see what the upcoming 195gr bergers do in this monster! No doubt you could get 3000-3050 fps.

That was kinda my predictions with the 195's if they ever come out. May even hit 3100 with them as the loads we are shooting now are really mild. Not sure on barrel life yet. The test rifle has right at 1k through it and the throat still looks good. I would suspect similar to a 7RM if taken care of. Planning on working with Retumbo soon to see if we can pick up a little more speed. I originally stated with Retumbo and was over 3200 but it was getting close to hunting time and the H1000 load shot extremely well.

You might try R-33 too. I picked up 80+fps over Retumbo in my 6.5-300wm with it but haven't tried it in my 7-300wm. I would bet with a heavier bullet the R-33 would shine, ie. 195's.

@ 1290, 4 shot group was sub-MOA (8-10") on a 2ft square piece of steel. @ 1440, 4 shot group was 1-1.25MOA (shooting @ a 1/4-1/2MOA rock on a red clay bluff). The wind wasn't helping much. Both groups were strung out horizontally more than vertically... Honestly guys, I don't know if that's good, bad, or average but I'm pretty damn happy with what it's done , so far. I haven't spent a whole lot of time shooting past 1000 & don't get to shoot much with other people, so I don't have much to compare my results or my shooting to.

Your .6-.75 MOA at 1290....not to shabby for a guy that hasn't shot much over 1k! I think once you run through the virgin fireform brass and the 2 of you settle in together, that will shink down a little. In that West Texas wind, at 1440 a 1-2mph change in wind is going to be quite a bit on the horizontal.

Case prep is pretty simple. Run a lubed 300WM case into the 7mm Rogue FL die. I built a step down setup to make brass for guys as well, but either way works. Firing sharpens the shoulder up and takes out a smidge of taper.

Dont want to muck up this gentlemans thread......I will PM you with some questions.

Thanks