• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First day at the range with my new 5R

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
First off I wanted to thank LOSTANGLE for selling me such a fine rifle at a great price.
I got the rifle on Friday and took the scope and rings off my other 5R so I could take it to the range for some testing.
Let me share a little story, about a Month ago I was searching for a new stock for my 5R, I stopped at my local tactical gunshop to see what they had, no stocks but they had a used HS Precision in prestine condition, and this thing was suppose to shoot little tiny groups "All day long" after about 20 minutes of listening to him and fondling the rife I was sold, for $2500. I took it to the range that night with the free box of Black Hills 168 grn and some of my hand loads. After shooting a few groups I was almost pissed off, for such a beautiful rifle it just would just not group with my handloads or the Black hills. I took it back the next day with target and Chrony data in hand and got a full refund.
Since then I have been in the hunt for a new stock, when this rifle came up with the stock I wanted, I told the Wife that I would buy this complete kit and put my action in it and sell off the extra rifle. Here is my problem, both 5R's are sooo accurate that I don't think I can sell one. The first group shot was the middle one with my tried and true handload of 168 grn SMK with 44.7 grains of Varget, then adjusted the scope up a bit as to not shoot my aiming point. I shot upper left corner and worked my way around with different amounts of powder shooting 175 SMK's. It is looking like I'm gonna develope the 43.5 grn load for this rifle.
Thanks to you peckers here I am now borrowing from my savings account to pay for rifles,( the gun fund just can't keep up) LOL.
SScott

Rem5RBlkAICS.jpg

Rem7005RBlktgt.jpg

Re: First day at the range with my new 5R

Nice groups! I hear ya on the spending, my savings is getting low too.

It must be a 5R day, shoot my 5R today also. Did barrel break-in last week with some 150gr American Eagle, it shot horrible. Nothing would group at all. Went today with some 168gr and 175gr American Eagle and it shot much better. I thought the 168gr would be best at 100yd. but the best group was with 175gr. (.492) It may have been just me as I'm very new to bolt rifles. I'm going to try some Federal Gold Match next weekend, see if the 168gr will do a little better.

ive got some really good load data with 168 smk and 168 berger vld. if you are interested pm me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkiNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It must be a 5R day, shoot my 5R today also. Did barrel break-in last week with some 150gr American Eagle, it shot horrible. Nothing would group at all. Went today with some 168gr and 175gr American Eagle and it shot much better. I thought the 168gr would be best at 100yd. but the best group was with 175gr. (.492) It may have been just me as I'm very new to bolt rifles. I'm going to try some Federal Gold Match next weekend, see if the 168gr will do a little better. </div></div>
SkiNut,
Welcome to the Hide,
Ya gotta love these 5R's, my go to load is 168gr SMK with 44.7 gr varget loaded to 2.820, with RP bass with Std. CCI primers.
It looks like you are gonna have to start to reload if you want to shoot a bunch, the price of good ammo will kill you .
Good luck and enjoy the Hide, SScott

Nice groups! I hope I can shoot my 5r I just picked up a few weeks back that well. Hope to get out this week. Been in the woods last two weeks getting ready to hunt some meat just ate the last bit from last season

Hey thanks for the info. Not trying to rob your thread Sunny but chimed in to just learn as much as possible. Looks like I might have to start reloading pretty soon. Wanted to try all the loads first to see what works best. Printed some targets off of www.targetz.com last night to start keeping a log. I'm going to print that load info so I have it in my logs and when I do reload I'll check it out. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet rifle and sweet groups dude!

You must be wrapped
smile.gif
</div></div>

I am very pleased with the rifle and how it shoots, after shooting my first group I had a grin from ear to ear.I explained to my wife that, if the HS Precision had shot this well I would have kept it. I think I did a lot better with this one, getting the stock I wanted as well as a Jewell trigger and bi-pod. What also surprised me was that all of the groups were shot off of the bi-pod and rear pod. (which speaks volumes for Atlas bi-pods) I normally shoot groups from a front bag and a rear squeeze bag.
SScott

Nice groups, sweet rifle. Impressed being shot from a bipod, I can barely break MOA with my 5r when shot off the bipod.