• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First day back shooting!

cav has been

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
wilds of montana
Beautiful breezy day here in Montana which I took advantage of to launch sixty rounds of cast 308 subs. First powder burned in awhile.
Back story; Spent a week in the hospital in April ,Pneumonia. That sucked but I really didn't recover much despite serious doses of various antibiotics.
VA Dr. ordered a fair complete panel of blood tests. May 23rd He called me with the results. Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Ain't that a kick in the nutz says I.
May 25th after a trip to ER I find myself on some sort of single engine Bombardier aircraft with two EMT's and a system full of drugs. Woke up a week later in University of Colo hospital. One sorry assed ,beat up ,sick, drugged up, individual. Those folks with GOD's hand saved my life no doubt.
A week later marginally able to determine which way was up they sent my sorry ass home. The Docs there have discovered some new methods/drugs to treat Leukemia. Still very experimental but effective at this point. The number of trips to the local hospital, and Oncologists office I've lost track of. ( 170 mi. round trip) The number of blood tests,and transfusions, I have also lost track of.
Thursday the Oncologist came in beaming. Data from last bone marrow biopsy showed the leukemia was in remission. Pretty much unheard of, especially in that time frame. Still got a long ways to go,after effects to deal with, gout, nerve damage, changes in eyesight, etc. But its looking pretty good from my point of view.
So much support from family and friends, There were nineteen people including my wife and daughter who traveled a thousand miles or more to be with me in Colo. Several congregations had me on their prayer lists. These things I will not forget.
I write this not in search of sympathy, or to look for a handout. I am retired mostly, but been known to do welding, machining, mechanic projects for those I like. I was self employed and retired not wealthy but with adequate means for my life style. I guess my purpose was to remind some that no matter how big, tough, smart or bad assed you are......shit happens. S.

PS, thanks Agent Orange............NOT

Glad you and your team had the will and ability to fight it. Amazing what a fighting spirit does to ones outlook and recovery.

Happy to hear you've taken one more small step to getting back to living.

Shit. Wow. Glad you got some good news, Cav.

I hear 'ya man, I almost died last year. last May, at the VA hospital. When I rejected one of the four titanium implants in my toes. Went septic, on IV antibiotics and THOSE made me sick for a month and just ravaged my veins and body. Still dealing with it, looking at another surgery on the R foot now. Don't want to do it, been putting it off as long as I can. Too much going on.

Glad to hear your situation is improving and that you got a newer effective treatment. That's a great step in the right direction. Keep up what you're doing and hang in there brother!

I'm glad your better! Prayers for you to continue improving!

Thanks for the good wishes! I've got ten days in a row going to town starting tomorrow. Three days of some treatment to stimulate my white blood cell production. Then seven days of Chemo drip. One of those days I have to make it to a VA evaluation about 130 miles away from the clinic I get the chemo in. Bound to be fun.
To steal one of STN's terms " Knee mails appreciated" S.

Reactions: Barneybdb
My youngest son Pilots Fixed wing Air Ambulance in that area.
He and a bunch of others, like Buku Maybe he flew you. That would be ironic!
FM E5/7 Cav. 1st. Cav {AM} 69/70

Reactions: oneshot86
Good to hear that all is going well now. My wife owns property in Montana someday I will go up there to hunt.

Good on ya!

Am a two time AO Lymphoma survivor. VA saved my life going on three times; would have been four, but I wasn't in the VA system at the time.

There are some who vilify the VA; I am not one of them. Knee mails in progress...

Greg