• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First day with Howa 1500

Jbak

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
SW Missouri
Finally got to shoot the .308 I bought used off the Hide. The rifle feels pretty accurate and I think it will definitely shoot sub MOA. I am new to shooting so I am going to have to improve on my basics.

This was the best grouping I managed shooting off the bench.

This was my first 4 shots.
.485.jpg

and then after my 5th shot..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Click to reveal.. <input type="button" class="form-button" value="Show me!" onclick="toggle_spoiler(this, 'Yikes, my eyes!', 'Show me!')" /></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div style="display: none;">
Cick for full size Picasa image

1.095.jpg
</div></div></div>

Re: First day with Howa 1500

How do you like that Ontargetcalc.com software, it is pretty accurate and easy to use? Is it finicky on how you present the JPG, quality of the pic, distance, etc?

Sounds like you gotta clean every 4 rounds.

What twist are you using for the 155 grain bullets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigMahi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you gotta clean every 4 rounds.

What twist are you using for the 155 grain bullets? </div></div>

lol.
1:10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like that Ontargetcalc.com software, it is pretty accurate and easy to use? Is it finicky on how you present the JPG, quality of the pic, distance, etc? </div></div>

It seems pretty easy, but I am new to this whole game and haven't used anything else. It's pretty straight forward, set your reference distance, set target distance, select bullet size, mark your holes.

The quality of the jpeg shouldn't have any impact on the data, as long as you can see your holes clear enough and be able to set the reference distance accurately, the rest is geometry that the program uses to calculate the group size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New stock and bedding job may just clean that right up
wink.gif
</div></div>
That rifle has a new stock and bedding job!
mad.gif

Keep practicing my friend, and don't hesitate to reload for that rifle. Try full length resized brass, trimmed to length and sorted by weight, 44 grains of Varget (give or take) and 168 grain A-Max. Oh yeah, and that 5th shot? It's always there to taunt you ...
cry.gif

I always do that, too.
cry.gif
In five shots, I'm guaranteed to do something stupid on one of them and turn a decent group into twice the size it should be.

How are you liking the Howa so far?

-Travis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Travis Mihm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always do that, too.
cry.gif
In five shots, I'm guaranteed to do something stupid on one of them and turn a decent group into twice the size it should be.

How are you liking the Howa so far?

-Travis </div></div>

Lovin it. It was set up by the Hider I bought it from (including a stock and bedding job....), I just tossed on a Leupold Mk4 4.5-4x50mm.

Here are a couple of pics....they aren't really good pics...but its all I got right now.
IMAG0584.jpg

And here it is with my buddies Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

IMG_20110521_141304.jpg