• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First deer with the new .458 SOCOM

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
Got my RR .458 upper few weeks ago just in time for our gun season to start. By far a big doe but for a 95 yard off hand shot I was proud. When that Corbon 300 gr hollow point hit her spine, it sure did waist some of the best meat there is. Shot another nice doe with it aswell at 115 yds, DRT with a high sholder shot. I was sick and tired of paying $15.00 for five stinking slugs so I ordered the upper. After putting a colapisible stock and a Nikon Tactical 2.5X10 she sure found a home in my safe! For those that can't hunt with the more "humane" tools.... get a .458!
1115090916.jpg

Re: First deer with the new .458 SOCOM

I know I know I know!!! So the gun is almost bigger than the deer... Kinda hard to judge size when they're in a thicket. Momma didn't give me a clean shot but this one smiled for the flash.

Congrats! I got my first blood on my AR on Sat evening as well. The 45 JHP went through the neck in spectacular fashion on a little doe.

I was happy with meat in the freezer, and the little ones taste better than the trophies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I know I know!!! So the gun is almost bigger than the deer... Kinda hard to judge size when they're in a thicket. Momma didn't give me a clean shot but this one smiled for the flash. </div></div>
Moof, i hear shit about selection from time to time as well. But it tastes better AND THE SMALLER ONES REQUIRE A GREATER DEGREE OF ACCURACY
laugh.gif

Yes they do require greater accuracy! LOL and tastes so much better!

Meat in the freezer buddy! Is that caliber legal for Indiana Hunting? If so, I'm gonna have to upgrade! I spent some serious $$$ on a Ruger 77/44, but your rig just looks sick!

Ya the round is legal, it even has it listed in the regulation book. I like it due to the nature of the beast, hard hitting SOB. Plus it's short and easy to manuver around. You might want to look at the .358 BFG. Guy in town has one and like's it alot and my buddy is even building one aswell. You can run them a lil harder thus meaning flater for those further pokes...

Damn, and I thought I was done buying deer rifles for the year! I'm happy with the 77/44 out to 200 yards, but that is one awesome rig you've got there and I need one now! Thanks

Good luck getting one from RR. I ordered mine back in March and finaly came in 2 weeks ago... $635.00 for just the upper and BCG.

Nice shot and rifle. Sounds like that would work good here in NC; we don't have rifle caliber legality here only pistol...
smile.gif

Figure the smaller ones are easier to drag out as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Figure the smaller ones are easier to drag out as well </div></div>

+1000 ... and they taste better!
smile.gif
I shot two little muley does this year with AR 6.8mm ... easy drag and the backstraps and tenderloins tasted great.
smile.gif