• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos First dot-drill attempt

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
First dot drill attempt.

After shooting the 4 at the sighter, I moved the scope 2 clicks down and started shooting.

Re: First dot-drill attempt

Tougher than it looks eh? I'm lucky if I get half touching.

Keep on practicing, and maybe a click right.

Start with the 1" dots, and then after your nailing them consistently, move tot he 1/2".

That 1/2" dot drill is a bitch.

Sign up the the online training. It has helped me tremendously. Good tips in there!

I think your distracted by the females on your rifle.
smile.gif

I'm signed up and trying to put the lessons into use.

I'm still having a hard time with it, but I also am not much of a "rifle guy" at this point. The majority of my rifle shooting has either been .22lr, or shooting centerfires from the bench for load testing - which has proven mostly a waste of time - good rifles shoot good and those that aren't, don't.

Very little "practical" rifle practice - can't bring the bench with you.

But without being too smug, I would rate myself as much better than average with a revolver.

I should add - target was fired prone, 100yds, Rem 700 5R Milspec .308, Leup VXIII 6.5x20x40, low Leup 30mm rings, BRM-S w/pod lock, sand sock, 175SMK, 40gr Varget, milsurp LC brass, cci lrp, 2.815",

Definitely me, not the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely me, not the gun.</div></div>The vertical is breathing.
The yanking left is trigger.
The inconsistency is NPA.

don't take this the wrong way, as I mean nothing bad by it, but until you can get a better grouping at 100 yards, this drill may not be the best for you. I think it will frustrate you more than anything.

With that being said, I think you should work on shooting groups more than anything right now. Develop a good load for your rifle. Basically, get the foundation set before you start trying to roof.

Just my opinion.

At least you are shooting though, more than I can say at this point. The past couple of years have sucked.

As of now, your grouping for the zero target is about 1 MOA give and take. If your ammo, gun, or operator can only get 1 MOA, then shooting a 1/2 MOA target can be frustrating to say the least. But then again, practice makes perfect, I suppose. Good luck.

The dot target is a challange. Have not seen to many that are clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With what (rifle/irons/scope)and how (bags/bipod/benchrest/offhand)?</div></div>

Not being ugly but some fail to read <span style="text-decoration: underline">all the post in a thread</span> and then post questions on topics that were already covered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should add - target was fired prone, 100yds, Rem 700 5R Milspec .308, Leup VXIII 6.5x20x40, low Leup 30mm rings, BRM-S w/pod lock, sand sock, 175SMK, 40gr Varget, milsurp LC brass, cci lrp, 2.815",</div></div>

My SPS Varmint (an admittedly less-cool 700) hated 175gr bullets in almost any ammo I tried. I could do a little with 150gr stuff, but it loved the 168gr ammo from 3 different manufacturers (put it in an HS-Precision stock and not nearly the gain in accuracy I had hoped for). Turns out my chamber on the factory barrel was fairly out of spec (rifling and ID of the barrel were fine for a factory varmint, but the chamber was really bad).

I had the action trued and was changing the barrel anyways, but my smith told me that with the barrel I had, a re-cut of the chamber would have helped quite a bit.

You might have a smith look at your chamber and if needed, get the chamber re-cut on your existing barrel - its not too expensive and if your smith can blueprint the action while its apart, then you're saving on labor and killing two birds with one stone.

Just from reading the net and personal experience with friends who have all purchased 700s, Remington appears to be pretty sloppy with the QC in a lot of different rifles, but I don't know if this applies to your 5R - actually, I would hope not to be honest.

Would it make sense to go to 3" dots at 300? or 6" at 600? I have been shooting exclusively at 300 due to range maintenance being done at my range. Thanks

Try shifting your focus to the cross hairs right before you take the shot. I agree that you should start with 1 inch dots. Until you can make one hole shot groups, the 1/2 inch dots is kinda a waste.

Keep practicing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a rifle problem. </div></div>

I'll upload my 2nd attempt when I get home. Got 8 out of 15 on that one.

I have fired .6ish groups from the bench with this combo, and I know there's more there with a different shooter.

You could shoot a .8 group and touch a .5" dot with every shot from a .30 caliber rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tougher than it looks eh? I'm lucky if I get half touching.

Keep on practicing, and maybe a click right. </div></div>

2 clicks right helped....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck of an improvement
</div></div>

Thanks. First attempt was more of an experiment than a full fledged "attempt".