• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First ELR rifle

17starza

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
I'm looking at getting my first "ELR" rifle for out to a mile and maybe beyond? I have a few bolt action rifles I have built but the ELR world seems to be a bit different with sourcing parts. Is it realistic to be able to build a nice rifle for $5-6000 without optic? It feels doable but everything I have read is its more expensive than you expect. I had considered ordering an MPA in 300 Norma with the CDG action and upgrading to a 37XC down the road but have read the tenon size is a concern for something with a Lapua bolt face. Any advice/opinions are appreciated!

Reactions: Bufgunner
Are you wanting to actually shoot ELR light matches? I would suggest something in .338 caliber as spotting misses at distance is easier.

Are you wanting to actually shoot ELR light matches? I would suggest something in .338 caliber as spotting misses at distance is easier.
I haven't decided if I want to shoot matches or not yet but I am open to the idea. I have a 1-mile range near me so at first it will likely be a fun gun that can be used in a match later as I'm more comfortable with the distance

.300 Norma would be perfect then.
I guess the next step would be the rifle. Is ~$5-6000 reasonable for a more "custom" build, if not what should I be looking at? Also is the Arc CDG action capable of handling anything larger than 300 Norma if I went with a build from MPA?

I guess the next step would be the rifle. Is ~$5-6000 reasonable for a more "custom" build, if not what should I be looking at? Also is the Arc CDG action capable of handling anything larger than 300 Norma if I went with a build from MPA?
Not sure about that specific action but you can definitely go to a well known gun smith with that budget and get a great rifle.

https://aprifles.com/products/apr-custom-300-norma-2

@17starza - for ~1 - 1.25 mile ranges, the 300 PRC is another round to look at. It's less expensive to load for, and a little easier on barrels and your shoulder. Just got mine (PRC) a new barrel:

1707714313115.png

You were asking about cost - something similar to this would be:

- This is a Defiance Deviant action, but any of the higher end customs would work fine: ~$1600
- This has a Triggertech Diamond, which would be ~$300
- Manners stock ~$1400
- Custom Bartlein barrel (1:9/8 gain LH twist, 400MODBB) - I forget exactly how much, but call it like $500-$600
- Get barrel cut: ~$500
- Mags @ ~$100 per
- Arca rail and misc hardware, ~$150
- Bedding and assembly I want to say was like $1000

You could do it for less by getting prefits, a chassis, putting it together yourself, etc. - I prefer stocks over chassis, and prefer barrels that I won't get in prefits.

EDIT: I forgot the muzzle brake. I'm done with self-timing brakes, this is a Terminator T3. It means you have a smith to time your muzzle to the brake, but I just find it so much more convenient to remove/replace that I'm willing to pay a little extra.

Last edited:
Take a good look at this list of equipment used by the shooters competing at one mile and pay attention to whats common in every aspect, thats what you will want to build, whats common because thats what works and you’re not wanting to spend money and change things later.

open up the link below it has everything a shooter wanting to get into the one mile and doing it right the first time without wasting money done.

oneshot.onehit
JH

Last edited:
I will take a look at the equipment list. I had considered the 300 PRC the only thing that I don't like is if I decide I want something bigger I have to build a whole new rifle instead of swapping barrels but I will definitely look into it a little more. Thanks.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Take a good look at this list of equipment used by the shooters competing at one mile and pay attention to whats common in every aspect, thats what you will want to build, whats common because thats what works and you’re not wanting to spend money and change things later.

open up the link below it has everything a shooter wanting to get into the one mile and doing it right the first time without wasting money done.

oneshot.onehit
JH

Well I'm fifth on that list with my Savage action lol. Paid $900 for the entire rifle which also won some matches so didn't want to get rid of it when it was time to re barrel. Nothing wrong with getting a cheaper off the shelf rifle to get your feet wet and see if it's something you want to pursue in my opinion.

If you start with a CDG action and prc and later want a Norma or xc, then, it’s just a bolt head and barrel swap away.

I just build a 300nm on a CDG for my wife for light gun elr matches.

I believe the 300nm has won more than one season of light gun at spearpoint in the last few years, so don’t overlook the bigger 30s for an elr light setup

Well I'm fifth on that list with my Savage action lol. Paid $900 for the entire rifle which also won some matches so didn't want to get rid of it when it was time to re barrel. Nothing wrong with getting a cheaper off the shelf rifle to get your feet wet and see if it's something you want to pursue in my opinion.
I did the Savage Elite Precision 300WM. CIP mags, and throat long enough to mimick 300PRC lengths and velocities. It's a 1 mile dinger anyday!

I appreciate all the information. I may look a little harder at the MPA in 300NM or 300PRC. I already own one MPA and it's definitely a good shooting gun.

Here you go,pic one and i'll keep the other one.

Last edited:
Shouldn't have a problem building a rifle for 5-6K. If you are thinking about 37XC in the future why not start with 33XC. It's pretty much top dog for Light class. I do know people were saying the tenon size on CDG isn't adequate for the lap diameter cases and for that reason personally I would choose a different action, There is tons of options out there that will still keep you in that budget.

But also like others said nothing wrong with getting into it with something you already have to make sure you enjoy it.

Shouldn't have a problem building a rifle for 5-6K. If you are thinking about 37XC in the future why not start with 33XC.

The 33XC is an interesting cartridge, but, frankly, is the juice isn't worth the squeeze over something like a 338 AI?

- Dies are extremely limited, though LE Wilson finally came out with an arbor seater for it. For sizers, I don't know of any other than Tubb's dies. I'm not overly impressed with them, though.

- Standard mags/mag openings are way too small, so mag feeding is an issue.

- With the 33XC your only brass choice is Peterson. With 338 AI, you get Lapua. No comparison.

- You lose ~100 - 150 fps with the AI.

I've been having fits with my 37XC because of all of the above and more (because it's a 375). I just got a new barrel for it. I'm going to give it this barrel before I go 338 AI instead.

The 33XC is an interesting cartridge, but, frankly, is the juice isn't worth the squeeze over something like a 338 AI?

- Dies are extremely limited, though LE Wilson finally came out with an arbor seater for it. For sizers, I don't know of any other than Tubb's dies. I'm not overly impressed with them, though.

- With the 33XC your only brass choice is Peterson. With 338 AI, you get Lapua. No comparison.

I've been having fits with my 37XC because of all of the above and more (because it's a 375). I just got a new barrel for it. I'm going to give it this barrel before I go 338 AI instead.

And you forgot barrel life. If I ever build another 338 for light ELR, it will be the 338AI. I'm happy with the 300 Norma shooting 245s.

And you forgot barrel life. If I ever build another 338 for light ELR, it will be the 338AI. I'm happy with the 300 Norma shooting 245s.

Yes - and that is a big one I forgot to add in. Everything is just a little tougher with the 33XC.

33XC vs 338 Lap AI isn't a huge advantage obviously. The Lap AI adds in the need for custom dies and reamer which can be a big wait. The XC stuff should be available. I've never owned an XC cartridge. I think I am going to chamber a 338 Edge barrel for the light class and I can run it on another rifle I already have so no big cost.

Well, I think i'm going to go with the 300 PRC. I like the idea of ordering a gun that's already built from MPA and it seems the PRC is a better bet for that action and I think it'll do everything I want.

Well, I think i'm going to go with the 300 PRC. I like the idea of ordering a gun that's already built from MPA and it seems the PRC is a better bet for that action and I think it'll do everything I want.
If you just want a rifle to shoot a mile for fun this is likely a decent option or even for matches like Nightforce the PRC will be well suited. If you want to shoot/ compete in REAL ELR there is better options.

I've made some mistakes in this category, some could have been avoided if I'd have just listened better.

If you just want a rifle to shoot a mile for fun this is likely a decent option or even for matches like Nightforce the PRC will be well suited. If you want to shoot/ compete in REAL ELR there is better options.

I've made some mistakes in this category, some could have been avoided if I'd have just listened better.
I agree there are definitely better options but I just don't see myself shooting in competitions. If I do decide it's something I want in the future it's just an excuse to build a new rifle.

I agree there are definitely better options but I just don't see myself shooting in competitions. If I do decide it's something I want in the future it's just an excuse to build a new rifle.
Even if not competing the 30 cals just don't provide splash like a 338 (or larger) which is invaluable especially at longer ranges or adverse ground conditions. If you only plan on playing around a mile I'd say you'll be fine but if you get the bug and wanna stretch it farther which is likely, I'd bet you'll be building something else.

That being said that 300 PRC will be a very versatile rifle and I'm sure you'll like it, just sometime chasing good money after bad if you aren't aware.

Is there that much difference in splash between 230/250 Grain from a 300 PRC compared to a 250 Grain 338 Lapua Mag ?
I run the 230 Atip in my PRC @2920 from 28' barrel. I haven't tried the 250 in my PRC, I'm thinking 2850 might be the best I could do.
Now , in my 338LM , I run 250's @3030 with ease, a friend of mine runs 250's in his LM at 3100.
Yes, there is a difference in splash whether on target or ground with a miss.
I was at TVP again yesterday shooting a mile and the difference shows

Reactions: ARShooter91
I recommend the 300 PRC.
@17starza - for ~1 - 1.25 mile ranges, the 300 PRC is another round to look at. It's less expensive to load for, and a little easier on barrels and your shoulder. Just got mine (PRC) a new barrel:

View attachment 8347163

You were asking about cost - something similar to this would be:

- This is a Defiance Deviant action, but any of the higher end customs would work fine: ~$1600
- This has a Triggertech Diamond, which would be ~$300
- Manners stock ~$1400
- Custom Bartlein barrel (1:9/8 gain LH twist, 400MODBB) - I forget exactly how much, but call it like $500-$600
- Get barrel cut: ~$500
- Mags @ ~$100 per
- Arca rail and misc hardware, ~$150
- Bedding and assembly I want to say was like $1000

You could do it for less by getting prefits, a chassis, putting it together yourself, etc. - I prefer stocks over chassis, and prefer barrels that I won't get in prefits.

EDIT: I forgot the muzzle brake. I'm done with self-timing brakes, this is a Terminator T3. It means you have a smith to time your muzzle to the brake, but I just find it so much more convenient to remove/replace that I'm willing to pay a little extra.

I have a Defiance action in 300 PRC. I am using a Bartlein 29.5 in MTU barrel with a APA gen 3 FB brake in a Mannners Team Stock with a trigger tech diamond trigger. I had GA precision build it. Great rifle.
I recommend the 300 PRC.

Reactions: 375fan
For a “first” ELR rifle I see no reason to deviate from standard 300NM or 338LM

A DT SRS gives lots of flexibility to practice with smaller stuff and then switch barrels, but it’s not for everyone’s tastes