• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition first F-Class shoot

KT35

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2011
VA
So like the title says. This was the first competion I have ever participated in. It was ran by NSSC at Camp Butner. It is a very nice facility. And everyone was very friendly and happy to help.

So the first FClass shoot and the first time I have ever shot at 1000 yards. The furthest I had ever shot before saturday was at 300 yards. So with a lot of help (thanks Andrew and USFTR). I hit the 8 ring on my first ever shot at 1000 yards. I fired 50 rounds on Saturday and never missed on time.

I shot the two rounds on Saturday. I shot a 181 first round and 174 the second. The second round was rough the wind changed direction 3 times. This was my first real experiance with wind. LOL

So all in all I had a blast and will definitley do this again. Thanks to all the guys that helped get me started in F-class

KT

Re: first F-Class shoot

hey KBT,

I was the big guy on target 27, I hang out with USFTR and James Crofts when i am down there..

my name is Chris Ozolins..what target where you on?

glad you had fun, all the guys down there at butner are top shelf..good guys..thats why I come down all the way from NY to shoot there several times a year..

you gotta try Quantico also they have some matches there every year..

Chris

Chris,
I was on target 29. I shot my first round then had to go pull for the next 2. Then finished up my second round.
I had two other guys on target 28 that were really cool. They were both shooting FTR.

The guy I was shooting with (Andrew) talked about going up to Quantico.
It's about the same distance for me either way.

I really enjoyed the enviorment down at butner so I will probably end up going to there for the most part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcom to your new addiction!
First shot at 1000 and being on paper was quite a thrill for me.. </div></div>

I shot the first round and seen the target go down and I though "hope I hit it". The target came back up with the marker inside the eight ring and I was really exited.

KT

Congrats! I felt like I was reading a post of mine when reading yours lol. Prior to weekend before last 300 was the farthest for me as well, then USFTR coached me and got me to 1,000..then my first match was Satuday as well at Butner. I am for sure hooked and couldn't agree more with you; Butner is a nice range and everyone was really nice (thanks to Phil for helping me with running the targets in the pits and scoring!). I was so nervous I almost got sick there during the first round...hehe

I was on 21 and then had to rush home before the team match.

Hope to meet up with you down there or Quantico to put a face with the name.

-Jarrod

I really hope you guys that are "thinking about it" are reading this thread. The long range fraternity is a small one, we all already have a lot in common. Come and shoot. You'll never learn to do it if you stay home, plus it really is fun. Great bunch of guys down at Butner!

If you want to get good at something, you can reinvent the wheel, or you can hang out with people who are already good at it, and/or at various places on the learning curve.

Nate...omfg.

I second that...seriously, anyone who is interested please just come out. I had no idea what to expect, don't know what I'm doing, never been to a match of any kind. People go out of their way to help you out and bring you up to speed.

And on another note, I was so excited when I got to work on Monday to tell people about my big day, then I realized, I didn't know anyone who cared or even really knew what I was talking about. Their version of "LR shooting" is a deer at 80yds with a turkey choke and #4 buckshot...ughhh.

There's a sanctioned Palma match at Quantico this weekend...individual match is Sunday. Great bunch at Quantico too!

I can't say enough about how everyone was very friendly. I was pretty lucky that one of the guys at my local range (Andrew) shoots F-class. We road down to butner together and he showed me the ropes.

I was definitely nervous going down to butner, however after being there for a little bit and talking to people I felt like I belonged. It's a pretty nice feeling, epecially in some of the other stuff I have done, I haven't had as good of an experiance.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J--ROD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Their version of "LR shooting" is a deer at 80yds with a turkey choke and #4 buckshot...ughhh. </div></div>

That has to be the best quote ever. It should have "You might be a readneck if:

KT

just want to say that my 14 year old son has his first f class match the second weekend of january. he is going to love reading all you guys comment.
he so excited thats all he talks about.
hope the wind gods are good to him

Competitions are a great time...good folks, good fun, and you get to shoot stuff. How bad can it be? My only regret is not getting into it a lot sooner. For anyone thinking of trying out F-Class for the first time, particularly at the local/regional level, I strongly urge you to do it, you won't be sorry. It's great fun and a great learning experience. My first time out, I had no idea what to expect, as was mentioned above. The people were great and very helpful to the new guy. I went into the match with the <span style="font-style: italic">intention</span> of winning, and the <span style="font-style: italic">expectation</span> of finishing dead last. Pretty much covered all my bases (LOL). I think that taking this approach really removed any pressure I might have otherwise felt and allowed me to focus more on my shooting. It was a very enjoyable experience and I was hooked the 1st time out.

For the guy's shooting f-class open: What front rest are you using?

KT

Of the the four guys on my team, one uses a Farley. I use a SEB. Two use the compact Farley top, but one of them just changed to a SEB.
The SEB NEO appears to be very popular among the high end F-Open shooters. There are still a lot that use non-joystick type rests also. Of those, there are several different makes and models.

DGosnell,
Thanks man, I have the caldwell BR right now. I have had it for a while but I think a better rest would benifit me a bunch.

KT

So it seems getting my hands on a Seb Neo rest is going to be almost impossible.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it seems getting my hands on a Seb Neo rest is going to be almost impossible.

KT </div></div>

Not impossible. Just be prepared to wait for up to a year.

I started with a Caldwell Rock BR, replaced the top with a Shadetree joystick top. Works OK, would love a NEO, but find it hard to justify the $1,000 or so price until I make high master.

You would think that for a grand you would be able to get one of these things right away and not have to wait a year. That is just ridiculous. That is the thing I hate the worst about this hobby.

The manufactures suck in this hobby.

So enough ranting. What about the Farely rest? Are they a year wait to?

KT

Quick update,
I picked up a 3inch adaptor to run on my stock so it would ride the front bag.

Also picked up a Farley Rest.

I went down to butner again, last weekend and had a blast at my first ever 600 yard shoot.

I shot 4 relays and scored the following.
200 w5x
192 w4x
196 w6x
187 w2x (Not real sure what happened here LOL)

I won the MU class and finished second overall out of all the F-open guys. I think there were only like 15 people though.

Still everyone there was awesome and were glad to share reloading tips.

KT

Keith, I know what happened on yur last relay.... WIND! LOLOLOL

Im the guy with the 260 shooting with you on the same blue tarp.
My first time EVER shooting a match and yes I had a blast!
Nervous like hell and my first 6-7 shots the scope was still set at zero-range(200y) No wonder I ended up with a 162x1 I thought at 600 y the target was suppose to look like it did (squiggly black blob with some circles)

I'm looking forward to march and hopefully see you there again!!

I have been shooting mostly tactical matches to date, but have been 'thinking about' heading up to one of the NSSC matches. I suppose I would be shooting 'F/TR' with a 'TR' rifle
confused.gif
. Any guidance on what would be the best event be for a first trip up? One of the practice matches?

http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/pdfs/NSSC_2012_Match_Program.pdf

Thanks in advance!

There's a mid range match next month. You should come out for that.

What caliber are you shooting?

KT

Completely bastardized rifle originally a Remington 5R in .308 Win - Have a nice load worked up for 178 Gr A-MAX @ ~2650 fps that the gun really likes and have been using for everything recently.

Thanks for this thread and the inspiration; will be shooting my first 600 yard prone F T/R on March 10th.

That will work man.

Just bring a bipod, mat, gun, and rear bag.

It's a two day shoot but you can shoot either day or both.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jd138</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this thread and the inspiration; will be shooting my first 600 yard prone F T/R on March 10th. </div></div>

Good luck man! I was hooked after the first time.

KT

Thanks for the invite. I have another match on the 17th, but could probably get a kitchen pass for Sunday at Butner. Hope to make it out and meet you guys. I'll send you a PM once confirmed KBT. Thanks again!

KBT - Just sent you a PM, I plan on shooting with you guys Mar. 18th.

Thanks

What about a .308 with a brake on it for my 12 yr old? I have a 6XC I'm going to bring out so you'll have another first timer in a few weeks.

As far as the schedule on the NSSC website goes, is F-class always included no matter what range is being shot that day?

F-Class can compete in any match at NSSC except the NRA Cross the Course (XTC) Matches. It would really be hard to shoot an F-Class rifle in rapid fire.

Typically, the XTC matches will be designated as an 800 agg match.
Long or mid range matches will be what you are looking for.

If you can remove the brake that is fine. NRA rules prevent the use of muzzle breaks and suppressors during competition. Look forward to meeting you guys.

KT