• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First focal plane.

wdebo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
Ohio
Is ffp more important in long range shooting than other applications? Also if you have a 4.5-14 power scope and you site in on 14 what would the difference be taking the the same yardage shot on the 14 power as the 4.5 power. Is it only a slight difference? And whats it do when your shooting at 1000 yards just looking for some info. I have always been just a hunter and shooter now I am thinking about longer distance. also for future scopes for hunting rifles.

Re: First focal plane.

i have seen guys with lever actions and rusted weavers shoot with the salty amongst us here.....its all about glass and trigger time...don't get too caught up in an equipment race to compensate for your lack of marksmanship skills.

I take it you are comparing a ffp to a sfp? There are a ton of threads that have already been posted on this subject..you should use the search fuction. That said, FFP and SFP preferability is subject to the user. If you are going to shoot at multiple targets are various distances..than FFP usually "works" better as you can range a target at any distance with the reticle. A SFP reticle will only be able to range at one specific power..usually the highest mag.

I am a pretty good shot. I am not up to the standards alot of people on here are, but I'm decent. I used the search function and did not find my answer. What I am trying to find out is does it actually change your zero.

nope....it don't....that is if you got a quality scope that that won't shift zero for the range of power settings

If your question is whether changing your power changes your point of impact, the answer is it shouldn't.

As for other questions about the desirability of FFP scopes, here's my file on that question:

For punching paper, where you'll dial your elevations and perhaps your windage, a second focal plane scope is fine.

If you're going to shoot tactical rifle competitions which involve moving targets under various conditions, and multiple target engagements at various distances with time limitations, so you won't have time to dial elevation changes between targets, a first focal plane scope is a distinct advantage.

You can use a FFP reticle for wind holds, moving target leads, holdovers and holdunders, at <span style="font-weight: bold">any</span> magnification you choose. With a SFP scope, you cannot - the reticle marks are accurate at only one magnification.

The advantages of a FFP reticle are even more pronounced on a two-way rifle range, where the targets are people with weapons, and they are shooting back.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I have always had leupold then I stepped up to a couple Z6i Swarvoski And have been thinking about buying some Nightforce. One dealer I spoke to said I would not be impressed with NF after owning the Swarvoski Because the quality of the glass. I have my own gun range and now since I have the time I want to try some longer range shooting and I want scopes with turrets. I have never messed with turrets so it could be a rough start.

Wont be rough if you stick with a quality optic. Sorry, but good glass is good glass.

Get a USO, Premiere, S&B, MKIV, NF, etc... They will all do better at precision work than your Swaro hunting scope.