• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First gen vs current gen chargemasters?

Mr Flannel

Self-Licking Icecream
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Per thread subject line, looking for a quality and accuracy comparison between the first gen RCBS chargemasters and whatever iteration they’re up to now?

I own one of the first gen models and it’s good, for what it is. I’ve changed the programming to try and eliminate overthrows, run an insert, etc. (all the usual mods) and take care to ensure it’s properly warmed up, level, free(ish) of drafts/vibration (it’s not in a ‘clean room’). Generally, it throws +/- 0.1 to 0.2gr with extruded powders and a little better with ball powders.

Are the latest/current gen chargemasters any better? You’d hope that any product like this would gradually improve over time but I’ve heard some mixed reports in passing.

Cheers.

Today I have #4 and #6 of the ones I've owned, The new units run faster up front, you can hear it. basically the same unit though. The new ones come out of the box with 5 times the static electricity though, a real thorough wipe down is needed where I do not recall ever wiping my first one down.

Reactions: Mr Flannel