• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft First Ghillie (Pics)

Canis Latrans

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Near Albany, NY
So I am (hopefully) nearing the completion of my first ghillie. It is a very basic and simple suit. At this time I have not put in any vents or anything like that. It will be used for turkey hunting in May, coyote and deer hunting later in the year and maybe paintball. All i really want is feedback on the camouflage and suggestions to improve it.

IMG_0657.jpg

This is from 10 feet away, no veg added. Obviously looks a little light, but this isn't where it will be used.

IMG_0658.jpg

Closer

IMG_0659.jpg

Different Angle

IMG_0661.jpg

Front of pants.

IMG_0662.jpg

Front of jacket, rear of pants

IMG_0663.jpg

Close-up front of jacket

IMG_0665.jpg

Close-up rear of pants

Where do you think I need to improve? I feel that the front of the jacket is the weakest point, and that I need to trim more and change the color patterns. I also think the back of the pants might need more burlap, what do you think?

Re: First Ghillie (Pics)

Looks good to me.Like you pointed ot it's all in where you use it.I might add some darker stuff randomly to break it up. might let it blend better I.M.O.
Scot

Thanks, I've found that the rubber-bands are sticking out more than I like. I'm thinking of trying to dye them or using inner-tube bands or something.

you can put on it some bristle weed from Tactical concealment..... very low weight..... very good item..

roll around in the mud and itll darken up a bit.

I spent most of yesterday scraping it on a sidewalk, pounding into a pile of dirt and mud, and stomping on top of it while it was in a fire-pit (no fire present!!)

Any comments on the amount of burlap? Too much too little? Thanks.

Explanation

The use of the jute is mainly to tie vedge in and break up the head and shoulders. It should not be relied on as the camouflage. many people get the misconception that the jute/burlap needs to match their environment perfectly, but thats not the case. The whole purpose is to break up the human outline and tie veg in.

But your suit is very nice, when you roll in the mud, the burlap will thin out a bit. Your suit looks great though.

But I've rolled it in the mud lol! In a week or so I'm going to a field and will see how the long dead grass is added to the suit. I put clumps of leaves and pine needles in the jacket, and it looked ok but the rubber bands stuck out a good amount.

did you actually getin the suit and role around in the mud?

No I wasn't actually in the suit. But it was in some mud. Like all things the suit gets darker when wet, but lightens again when it dries. The mud is the same, dark when mud, but dries to a light sand color...

if you get in the suit and roll in the mud, the dirt will be ground in and it will get darker. Just let it dry in the sun and you;ll be good to go.

Be sure to post an instructional video of your pig rolling endeavors, so we can all benefit from your experience.
wink.gif