• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First groundhog of the year with a centerfire.

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I popped a female at about 110 yards this evening using my 223AI with the Sierra 50 grain Blitz.
The hog was facing away from me and I aimed for the middle and rolled it.
I have the barrel threaded for my 30 cal suppressor and the sonic crack is about all you hear and I was duly impressed with the sound of the impact.
It was intriguing to find that the bullet did not exit.
Is this common with 223's?

hog.jpg

Re: First groundhog of the year with a centerfire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this common with 223's?</div></div>

Quite common with not only the 223 but more so with a bullet designed for maximum expansion and/or fragmentation. Have no worries, the bullet did exactly what it was designed to do.

Head shots tend be a little more dramatic with the Blitzking.
wink.gif

Yup, very common with a shot like that. Blitzkings are supposed to do that. Like Jerry R mentioned, head shots are quite nice with those little bullets.

Whacked another, this one smaller.
I could not find an entrance let alone an exit.
It did not move an inch from where it was eating.
I'm excited to try a 75 AMAX soon.

Standing with my rifle on the post of an electric fence isn't steady enough for head shots.

IMG_5134.jpg

I'd bet the post would be more stable than the wire!

I'm jealous! We have the occasional hog around here, but nothing you could plan a hunt around!