• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Groundhog/Rockchuck of the year 09...

smack

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2003
North Central Washington
The PC picture....
smile.gif
171 yards, 7x57, 140gr Nosler Accubond.

DSC03234.jpg

The not so PC picture....
eek.gif

DSC03264.jpg

Re: First Groundhog/Rockchuck of the year 09...

A 60+ year old $39.00 mail order 7x57 Mauser that my fathers father passed to him when he was young and my father passed it to me. A three generation truck rifle. One that never goes in a case but is always there... A rockchucks head peeking over a rock at 171 yards through a cheap 4X scope is awful small! Not all of them leave this world due to hotrod hardware.
grin.gif

DSC03260.jpg

Brings joy to my heart.

What!?!? U already got a kill for the season. I'm behind already.

That rifle looks to be in pretty good shape for a 3rd gen truck gun....We're still getting snow here but it won't be long before those 'ol woodchuck's are in trouble.

SMACK,

You have PM's in your in-box. If not then e-mail or PM me.

Pat

Nice pics, always wanted to get one of those. Gets kind of old shooting PD in NE.

2im03sz.jpg

Got my first groundhog of the year today, killed it with my Mathews Switchback. It was only a 20 yd shot, this groundhog was missing hair in patches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you cook 'em? </div></div>

With hot lead. I would say the one pictured above is done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you cook 'em? </div></div>

The only ones decent enough to eat are young of the year as they are leaving the nest. Over a year old and they are too tough.

Cook like you would rabbit. I simmer for a couple hours then flour/season them, then fry or bake.

I've heard all the ewwwww's and yuck's before. Don't knock it til you try it. Some of the cleanest vegetarian meat you will eat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eyesman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you cook 'em? </div></div>

The only ones decent enough to eat are young of the year as they are leaving the nest. Over a year old and they are too tough.

Cook like you would rabbit. I simmer for a couple hours then flour/season them, then fry or bake.

I've heard all the ewwwww's and yuck's before. Don't knock it til you try it. Some of the cleanest vegetarian meat you will eat.

</div></div>

I'm not that tough, may have eaten worse but only because I was drunk and silly...

Cook? Fuck no, I just grab them by the tail and drop them back down the hole they lived in.

I am so jealous right now. Even if I were home it's to cold and their still getting snow. I am hoping to be home again in a couple months and have a chance to shoot few woodchucks. Once it starts to warm up and the fields haven't grown to much it's fair game then it's kind of quiet till the farmers do their first cut. Then it's play time again!

man I am drooling over those Pics. I am really eyeballing the temp. and weather down here for central and eastern OR. first chance I see a few sunny warm days in a row moving in. I am going scouting for some ChuckRock. There have been a few sighted already so they are starting to come out here and it TIME to get some.

Nice !!!I've seen a few road kill chucks just this past week! But they are getting sparce outside of town so I figured I'll let them plant their seed. Trigger finger is getting real itchy!!!

I killed a chuck a week ago, and the weather wasn't all that great then, and it has been sucking the rest of the week too.

2009rockchucks001.jpg