• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First groups with new rifle, comments welcome

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
These are groups from today with my new 7mm w/ Krieger barrel set up by RW Snyder. It seemed tightest with 65.5 of R22 but, all seemed pretty good for the first time out. Pulled one in the second group. Definitely did not like 71.5 of Retumbo. All groups 5 rounds at 100 yds. Any advice on where to go from here is welcomed.
DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

Re: First groups with new rifle, comments welcome

Looks to me like you got a great start there now. It may be just as simple as fine tuning your bullet seating depth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to me like you got a great start there now. It may be just as simple as fine tuning your bullet seating depth. </div></div>

Will try that next. Am .012 off the lands, probably go tighter. Its tough to get precise without a micrometer die.

I would jam the bullets 20 thou into the lands and back off the powder .3 grains. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would jam the bullets 20 thou into the lands and back off the powder .3 grains. Lee </div></div>

Something to try. I hadn't seen any data with the Amax in the lands, its always a touch off.

Looks good from here too.

I would keep the load development to a minimum, magnum chamberings are not conducive to combinations of extended load testing and good barrel life.

If you see something that's in the 1/2MOA to 1MOA range, maybe you're doing just fine and it's time to leave things as is. Enjoy the rifle for what it's designed to do, and don't burn it up trying to turn it into a test mule.

Take your time thinking about one good bullet and one good powder, and work up a best load scenario. Typically, adding to that delivers diminishing returns.

Greg