• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First hog hunt

olivera10

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
Goleta CA
Finally had an opportunity to go on a wild hog hunt.
I live in central prk and found an awesome outfitter
for my first hunt.
It was successful and lot of fun the guides were very good
and had access to thousands of acres of private land.
If you are ever out near Paso Robles,CA these guys are
really good. Camp 5 outfitters.

I anticipated a minimum 200 yard shot and had my dope out to 500with the lead free ammo we have to use.
The area they were passing through was thick brush.
It ended up being just under 100 and with my 308 I thought the wound would be more devastating.
It was a pass through without a very large exit hole. It went right through his lung.
I was shooting hornady sst 165gr gmx
any lead free advice on a more devastating round?

I will definitely be going again and again.

Re: First hog hunt

IMG_0336_zps5dbd544a.jpg

Here is the boar I shot feeding on acorns all winter
had a good layer of fat on him.
Head went to the taxidermist and meat to the butcher

How far did the pig go? It appears the would channel was sufficiently devastating. What were you looking for? I've shot a bunch of deer with barnes bullets and none have ran more than 20 yards. Likewise I have shot 4 pigs with barnes bullets. Two were DRT, and the other two ran about 30 yards. Each pair was taken with a single bullet. That's plenty devastating for me...

rincon10,

First of all, congratulations on your first hunt and a very nice boar. I have hunted Paso Robles a lot and you are in pig country up there, great area. If you are in Goleta check the hills above you, plenty of hogs up there and you won't have to make the 100+ mile trek to Paso to shoot pigs.

As for bullets and devastation, the GMX did what it was designed to do and it did it well. While I have not used the GMX bullet, I have used the Barnes TSX on a lot of animals, including a hog last Friday. The TSX has always been superb when it comes to internal wound devastation. Having recovered quite a few bullets from animals the TSX holds it's weight almost perfectly.

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but both the GMX and the TSX seem to work rather well. If you happen to be near the LA area, hit me on a PM and I'll let you shoot some TSX bullets to see how they compare accuracy-wise to the GMX.

Good hunt, be careful, pig hunting is addicting.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

Thanks 493

I wanted the tsx as it looks more like a drt type of bullet.
From my estimation it seemed as if the gmx did not change shape
there was a small hole in and a small hole out as if the ballistic tip stayed intact like a fmj and slid right through.

I will post a pic of the lung damage and maybe find more evidence.
I guess I was expecting a big blowout the other side.

The hog went about 30 yds through thick brush then fell/ran down a hill

The damage looks decent, but seems like more should have been done to the lung. If I knew how to post pics I show what was left of the heart of the one I shot last week, the left lung was mush in the upper chest area. Complete pass through, but a very small exit wound, zero blood to trail. The hydra-static shock from the TSX basically turned the left lung to a soggy mess and did exactly what it should have, which was nice.

I have now seen this on a few different pigs I have shot and with a bear that I shot in the head. When I attempted to open the skull all I found were tiny fragments of bone, no structure let.

I like the TSX bullet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FourNineThree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The damage looks decent, but seems like more should have been done to the lung. If I knew how to post pics I show what was left of the heart of the one I shot last week, the left lung was mush in the upper chest area. Complete pass through, but a very small exit wound, zero blood to trail. The hydra-static shock from the TSX basically turned the left lung to a soggy mess and did exactly what it should have, which was nice.

I have now seen this on a few different pigs I have shot and with a bear that I shot in the head. When I attempted to open the skull all I found were tiny fragments of bone, no structure let.

I like the TSX bullet... </div></div>
I ordered some tsx. When I went on this hunt I had to buy factory ammo and all they had was the gmx.
My brass is clean and ready. Can't wait for the next hunt