• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Hunt For A 6 Year Old

Lapuapalooza

Benefactor of the Resurrection
Minuteman
  • Dec 24, 2013
    Colorado
    I have a 6 year old daughter that I am planning on taking dove hunting in an effort to expose her to hunting early and hopefully she will choose to hunt instead of getting into trouble later in life. My concern is that the killing of an animal may traumatize her and turn her off to the whole hunting lifestyle all together.

So my question to you guys is... How old were your daughters the first time you took them out in the field, how did they handle it, and do you wish you would have done anything different?

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: acudaowner
    I only have boys but I took them on thier first hunts about the same age as your daughter.
    My approach was to make it more of an adventure and good time goofing off and having fun.
    Lots more activities and interaction other than hunting so it would have more of a lasting effect and impression on a child that age.

My oldest was 5 for his first and it was a four hour drive so I designated him the map reader so we wouldn't get lost. I circled various spots on the map and pointed out landmarks along the way. He's 19 now but I still remember it like it was yesterday, I asked him what direction we needed to go next and after studying the map he replied " Deer West Dad " ???

Last edited:
    Never took my daughters hunting but my sons around 10, about the same age my dad and brother took me. Not preaching but you asked, gun safety all the time. Boys carried unloaded firearms until time to go hot. We shot jugs of water to demonstrate what bullets can do. I told stories, we played games, plinked 22s, taught them skills, why we are hunting, more on the hunt than the killing and we eat what shoot is why we hunt, its for food. This was over 20 years ago and they still talk about those trips and I remember mine with dad and brother also.

But I will say, not sure of your AO but I caution what she might say, the wrong thing to the right person. Stupid in how we must now. A friend of mine white tail hunting, his son put a hunting pic dressed in camo with his rifle on the web, he got called into school to explain why and is his kid a threat to the school with the principle, school psychologist and resource officer. He couldn't believe his kid was being expelled for hunting deer and over a picture.

Hey 45, I'm not surprised by the schools reaction just not grasping their stance on these issues of why a boy or girl wouldn't be proud of the harvesting of game on a hunt that may have been their first and wanting to share their excitement with others they know. We brag all the time to make ourselves feel good so why should we expect less of our kids.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Only those who are touched a little are the ones we need to look out for and handle them as what they are not worth much.
    I really hope your kids understand that it's people with so much education and not a lot of common sense that are responding in the ways they do.
    Hhardrock

Tagged in for this as i have a 6 year old son that wants to come out hunting with me, and I’d love for him to join me too!

However, the style of hunting I do usually involves lots of hiking in steep, rough terrain with many miles each day. I don’t think my son would find that very fun, so I think I’ll just take him up to the mtns with me, glass around for critters, do some light/easy hikes, fishing, make a fire, roast marshmallows and hot dogs, do some 22 plinking, and maybe have him shoot a rabbit if the opportunity presents. I agree with what others have said that it’s all about making it a fun experience for them. Even if it’s not the same kind of hunting that you or I would do, it helps to get there feet wet and to hopefully get them excited for the “real/more involved” hunts.

As for the trauma of killing an animal, I don’t really know what to say. My son hasn’t shot an animal yet, but he has helped me the last couple years with the skinning and processing of elk and deer- and he loved it! He wasn’t grossed out by the blood or innards at all. He found it interesting and was eager to get his hands in there and help me. When it does come time for him to shoot an animal, I’m just going to reiterate to him that the animal is helping to provide us with food, and it’s totally natural. It is far better that we put in the work to hunt and harvest our own meat, than to buy some processed shit from the grocery store.

Anyways, great topic and I’m looking forward to what others have done, and how it goes with you and your daughter.

Hey 45,
    We've been taking the Grandson out with us for the last fours, he's turning 9 in a couple of days. The first yr. someone asked him where he was on the one day he missed and he answered in the only way he knew "he was doing Man things". That said he loves being with his dad and the guys.
    Hhardrock

When my daughter was about 5 a rooster got her on the ground and scratched her up pretty good. I killed it with a broom handle, then after getting her cleaned up / calmed down we cleaned it together. She made up a song about the dead rooster and sang as we cleaned it. Her first baby pig she named bacon. Bacon was a good boy. She always knew where food comes from. A kid will understand it where some mentally tainted 20’something would be squeamish. My daughter is off to school now and her holiday off and dove season don’t line up this year, otherwise she’d be shooting the bird of peace with us in a couple weeks.

IMHO, just talk to her about it, but don’t make a big deal of it. It’s more normal for a human than grabbing a burger in town.

Reactions: XLR308
    Good posts above! Make sure it’s all about them having fun and teaching safety. Not about the killing!

@Lapuapalooza Your 6 yo daughter is not shooting on the dove hunt, correct? Just company and bird picker-uper? Too much moving and targets coming from any direction with bird hunting for brand new shooters. I muzzle swept the hell out of my dad and a couple other men standing with him with a pellet rifle at about that age dove hunting.

@Lapuapalooza Your 6 yo daughter is not shooting on the dove hunt, correct? Just company and bird picker-uper? Too much moving and targets coming from any direction with bird hunting for brand new shooters. I muzzle swept the hell out of my dad and a couple other men standing with him with a pellet rifle at about that age dove hunting.
    No she won’t be shooting. She still flashes the hell out of me with her nerf guns. I may be crazy, but I ain’t stoopid! ?

I just want to expose her to the hunt, which she is really excited about, but she has a typical huge heart of a 6 year old girl. I know if I push too hard (like field dressing a deer), she will not handle that too well. I figured that we we bagged a few doves then brought them home and fried them up it shouldn’t be a traumatic event.

I took my daughter dove hunting with me when she was 6 years old. I used a .410 the first time so it wouldn't be to loud. We made it fun. I told her to help me spot the dove when they were in the sky and to be still when they were coming in to shooting range. after I dropped a bird I told her it was her job to watch where the bird fell. I explained that dove are very hard to find if you don't mark where they land. After retrieving a couple of birds together she would run ahead of me and yell daddy I found him with a big smile on her face. after that she became my best bird dog. She had a ball. The lesson was about the hunt, not the kill. Teaching her that it is important to be able to tell the difference between a dove and other birds buy the way they fly. And the importance of finding a bird after you shot it. And that we eat what we hunt. she helped pluck feathers and I breasted the birds. The blood didn't bother her at all. Cleaning the birds together was another opportunity to explain we only take what we need and we eat what we take. Very fond memories. That was 32 years ago. now she is married with 2 kids. A girl and a boy 6 and 4 years old. Just the other day she asked me to take my grandchildren hunting like I did with her when she was little. I already got them shooting a 22. and cant wait to get them into the woods. Be safe and pass it on.

My boys are fine with the hunt and the processing. The kill is the hardest thing to witness, starting with birds is a good idea, especially dove, as the there isn’t much trauma. My boys hate raising turkeys but they still don’t like to watch them die. I don’t think there is any need for kids younger than 10-12 to see a large animal killed, they just don’t have the maturity and there is no reason to turn them off or scar them mentally.

Shoot some clays and go get hot dogs and ice cream, I bet you will both enjoy it more and all you’re really seeking in having a 6 yr old hunt is some quality time

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
    I still havent taken mine. She is 7.

She has interest in big game, not in small game (rabbits are cute....). I dont bird hunt due to sucking at wing shooting (short on time to relearn).

When she is interested, we will go.

Now we spend time in the woods, shoot her Cricket, and talk about important stuff. Like bugs, snakes, and silly tv shows.

I know you know @Lapuapalooza and any time you spend with her is darn good quality time.
    Even agonizing over homework has good value...... pain in the rump it may be.....

Enjoy!

I took my son pheasant hunting last year, he was all of 18 months old. He rode around in a kid carrier style backpack (Thule, I believe), wore his ear muffs, and seemed to enjoy every minute of it. Every time the dog ran by, he'd point and yell "dog!" and each time I shot, he'd say "good shot" and I'd put my hand up by my shoulder and he'd give me a high five. The most difficult part was that he kept taking his mittens off when his hands got a little warm, but he wasn't coordinated or strong enough to put them back on when they got cold.

I have also taken my son hiking and fly fishing, so he's pretty well used to the backpack style daddy adventures.

My kids first experience w/ game animals was eating them. One night, I mixed up a hare w/ a couple partridge. I parboiled them, breaded & seasoned them w/ fried potatoes.

They both liked supper very much. The next morning my daughter (who was 3 at the time) woke me w/ “Daddy! Let’s go hunting rabbit.” So, we got dressed & headed out.

I took both of my daughters out all the time. Shooting, hunting, scouting, riding ATVs, hiking, working on my friends horse ranch and the occasional camping trip.

My oldest daughter on a mid October prairie dog shoot. A couple of days after killing my elk.

20190918_084712.jpg

The oldest is 25 and she loves the outdoors, but doesn't like to hunt. She'll surely eat the dead critters, but hunting isn't for her.

Both girls on a rock chuck hunt after feeding the horses and wild turkeys that came every morning.

20190918_084651.jpg

My youngest is 21, and last night she asked if I would take her shark fishing while she's down here for her cousin's wedding.

Both girls still like to shoot, but the youngest ones favorite is fishing.

Both girls after a winter hike around Roughlock Falls.

20190918_084601.jpg

Start them early with the easy stuff and they'll always love the outdoors.

I never had any issues from them about killing things until the schools forced the kids to watch slaughter house videos.
    It took a long time to convince them that they were being used by the schools as pawns in the anti- games.
    The schools here still show those videos.

What state did your kids grow up in that they were shown videos of animals in slaughterhouses?

I took both of my daughters out all the time. Shooting, hunting, scouting, riding ATVs, hiking, working on my friends horse ranch and the occasional camping trip.

My oldest daughter on a mid October prairie dog shoot. A couple of days after killing my elk.

View attachment 7149148

The oldest is 25 and she loves the outdoors, but doesn't like to hunt. She'll surely eat the dead critters, but hunting isn't for her.

Both girls on a rock chuck hunt after feeding the horses and wild turkeys that came every morning.

View attachment 7149149

My youngest is 21, and last night she asked if I would take her shark fishing while she's down here for her cousin's wedding.

Both girls still like to shoot, but the youngest ones favorite is fishing.

Both girls after a winter hike around Roughlock Falls.

View attachment 7149150

Start them early with the easy stuff and they'll always love the outdoors.

I never had any issues from them about killing things until the schools forced the kids to watch slaughter house videos.
    It took a long time to convince them that they were being used by the schools as pawns in the anti- games.
    The schools here still show those videos.
    That’s awesome Mike. The prairie dog shoot photo looks like my backyard. Was that in Colorado?

That’s awesome Mike. The prairie dog shoot photo looks like my backyard. Was that in Colorado?

It was about 30 miles east of Rapid City. Lots of buzztails out that day. Pretty rare for mid October.

We had to end the shoot early because church was starting and we didn't want to disturb them.
    The church was 1/3 of a mile north of that spot. Old wooden country church that was probably close to 100yrs old.

The rock chucks were north of Custer on the horse rancher's place.

Hey Mike, Fellow SD here(Sturgis) glad you brought those kids up the right way and you'll never regret or have to worry about their values in life which is fast becoming a thing or the past. Keep up the great work and have fun with the PD hunts. Hhardrock

Took my daughter last year for the first time. She was 6 at the time. Had the rifle mounted on the tripod so all she had to do was aim and shoot. Got a doe on her second day and she couldn’t have been more excited. She wanted to help gut it and wanted to inspect the heart. She’s got her sights on a buck this year. Good on you for starting her early.

Hey Mike, Fellow SD here(Sturgis) glad you brought those kids up the right way and you'll never regret or have to worry about their values in life which is fast becoming a thing or the past. Keep up the great work and have fun with the PD hunts. Hhardrock

Ken, I wish I could say that I still lived there.
    Retired from the AF back in '04 and came back to Florida.

I truly miss living out there and would go back in an instant if I didn't have more (step) kids to raise.

The youngest is 13 so the chance to return is pretty slim.

Hopefully, I'll get a few more short visits as time and finances allow.

Problems at school because of hunting? I just tell them the kids missed school because they were taking part on an anthropological field survey highlighting the difficulties of primitive food gathering.

Every child is different.
    My daughter killed her first deer at the age of 6 during a youth hunt. She killed more till she got to the age where it wasn’t as fun as friends and the mall.
    She is in her last semester of nursing school and still loves to hunt when she has time.

I've got 3 daughters. They are 4, 10 and 14. They've all been with me doing things since just as soon as they could ride in the feedtruck. I don't really look at em as kids as if they are incapable. They just walk a lil slower and sometimes need help lifting things. Heck, kids usually listen better than adults and can learn things quicker.

IMG_1641.JPGIMG_1855.JPG

Reactions: BKSSNIPER