• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes First Impressions/Pics - Nightforce 1-4x24

Scott2501

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys,

Made my first post here yesterday with a question about this scope. Figured I'd post some info today.

I picked up a new scope this week, after spending many agonizing hours trying to decide on a 1-4 power optic. I haven't spent a lot of hours using it yet, but I thought I'd give a brief review of my thoughts so far. Maybe this will help someone who is interested in this scope, but doesn't have a place locally to handle it in person.

I recently finished an AR build - 16" barrel w/ 12" rails. Prior to this NF scope, I had been using a compact ACOG 1.5x24, which I liked, but was more geared toward CQB. It worked almost like a red dot, and I liked the tough construction and lack of batteries. However, it didn't have enough maganification for me for longer shots. I looked at many different 1-4 power variable optics, but ended up with the Nightforce NXS 1-4x24:

arrightsideclose.jpg

First, a bit about the reticle/illumination. One of the main complaints about this scope is that it does not have a daylight illuminated reticle. While this is true, I don't think it is worth getting hung up on. In bright, broad daylight the reticle looks black just like any other scope. However, even in bright daylight, the reticle appears illuminated red when it is against a dark background, like shadowy trees. I am not going to try to argue that it is as quick as a red dot because it is not. However, it is still very useful on 1 power for two eyes open shooting, which brings me to my next point. Many people prefer the FC2 reticle, which is a circle with a dot inside, but I actually like and am using the NP1 reticle, which is closer to a standard crosshair. I like to have the thinner precision crosshair even knowing I am sacraficing some speed in close engagements. Here are a couple reticle shots - one at full illumination and one at half:

nfreticle1.jpg

nfreticle2.jpg

One of the first things I noticed when handling this scope was the weight. It is not lightweight, especially since I was used to a compact ACOG. However, it feels extremely sturdy. I thought I might have to give up some durability when switching from an ACOG to a variable power scope, but having handled the NF, I don't feel that way at all. It is solid. Adjustments are smooth and give very positive clicks.

All and all, I am very happy with the scope, and would definately recommend it. However, no product is perfect, so understanding the downside is important. Here is my overall view:

Pros:
Excellent Glass
Extremely Sturdy
True 1x performance
Smooth adjustments and excellent craftsmanship

Cons:
Cost
Weight
No daytime illumination (in actual use, this is a smaller issue than you think)

Let me know if you have any questions, and here are some more pictures:

arrightsideangleclose.jpg

arrightside.jpg

nfturretcap.jpg

Re: First Impressions/Pics - Nightforce 1-4x24

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When were these pictures taken? </div></div>

Yesterday. Why? Things greener than you would expect?

We just started turning green in about the last week. Wet winter in Texas, and now that we're getting sunshine, the grass is growing.

Re: First Impressions/Pics - Nightforce 1-4x24

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott2501</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When were these pictures taken? </div></div>

Yesterday. Why? Things greener than you would expect?

We just started turning green in about the last week. Wet winter in Texas, and now that we're getting sunshine, the grass is growing. </div></div>

Looks like your rifle is getting greener too by the look of the last Pic
smile.gif

I have a NF 1-4 with Larue coming today. Gonna be fun!