• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First ladder test

NMMX

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
ABQ, NM
After waiting three months, I was finally able to get out and shoot my first ladder test. Hoping I can get some feedback.

After marking my shots on paper, I think this certainly wasn't the ideal setup or conditions to perform this test but I'll take what I can get. I'm running low on factory ammo and need to get some rounds made up. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono, so I'm missing that big part of the picture. Wind was poor today also, consistent 2-3 o'clock wind of 15mph with gusts up to 30.

I did not attempt to hold off for wind, just dialed elevation and kept it on the center dot.

Tests were shot at 400y, off of bipod with rear bag.

Rifle is a factory Rem 700, .308. 20" Bl, 1/10 twist. XLR chassis and Vortex PST 4-16x50.

Loads were all Win brass, CCI primers, 175SMKs and Varget. Loaded in 0.2 increments from 42.0 - 45.2.

Hoping to narrow it down to 4-5 loads, then shoot 5 shot groups at 200, 400, & 600 to make a final pick.

Test 1

Test 2

Hrm... Well based on the second test 44.4 looks like a good load. My pet load used to be 44.5 in my 20" 1-12 but once I changed primers I found that I needed to go to 44.3 to maintain the same velocities. So I'd certainly be willing to recommend 44.4 as a decent one to try. However that being said 44.4 didn't look so hot on test 1. Maybe you pulled it a bit? 44.0, 44.2, and 44.6 all came in pretty close so its not that unreasonable to believe that 44.4 was unduly influenced.

Based on test 1 I'd give 42.2 or 42.4 a nod as one to try even though it didn't do so hot in test 2. But you're probably not going to want to give up that much velocity as a fellow 20" tuber.

43.4 looks good in test 1 but doesn't hold together in test 2.

Honestly I'd say give 44.4 a good solid try. It looks like with just a little logic thrown in that its good in both targets. Load up 15 rounds of just that load and shoot three 5 shot groups at 100 yards. When it prints amazing groups call her done. If you want to go ahead and play with different seating depths but I didn't really see all that much change.

If you're looking for benchrest accuracy you're on the wrong forum. If you're looking for tactical accuracy plus a bit of bragging rights I'd bet you've already found it in your 44.4 load.

Let us know how it comes out.

~Brett

I would also think that trying again focusing on the 44.2-44.6 looks good. Load up some rounds of each in that range and see which one shoots the best. That looks like the window with the most promise.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ya, most loads I have found listed for this rifle were between 44.0 and 44.8. Open to any more shooting suggestions on narrowing it down from 44.0, 44.2, 44.4 44.6 also.

Thanks

I'd be willing to bet that 44.4 is going to be a good load. If you want to narrow it down try a very abbreviated OCW test. Load 3 rounds at 44.2, 3 at 44.4, and 3 at 44.6. Then shoot these three groups at three targets in round robin fashion. What I mean by that is shoot one 44.2 load at one target. Then shoot one 44.4 at another target. Finally shoot one 44.6 and yet a third target. Then start back at your second bullet for each charge weight back at their corresponding targets. Then no matter which one shoots the smallest group if you get a very similar POI with all three groups stick with 44.4 grains. This will mean that you have a good load that is somewhat independent to pressure variances. If you're interested to read further on this read about Dan Newberry's OCW load development method. The fact that your ladder is pointing in the same direction as myself and other 20" barrel shooters that I know (along with people shooting other lengths) this will give you good confidence in only 9 bullets.

~Brett

Last edited: