• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Long Distance/Precision Build. Input welcomed.

R6436

Newbie/Student
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
Mason City, IA
To start with I've been reading articles and posts on here on-and-off for not quite three years now. Last Fall I started looking into a Grendel build and then had to cancel my plans. A few months back I was able to get a deal on a barrel, muzzle device, and BCG in 6.5 Grendel so I decided to give another try at a build. Having built more than a few AR-15's I wanted to try for a "serious" long distance/precision build... even though the farthest out any range I have reasonable access to is only 300m.

I was hoping I could get some input from Hide members on the parts I have selected so far. Some I was able to find multiple reviews and/or forum posts on. Some I took a leap of faith with. One of my goals is to have this rifle stand out in comparision to other AR's I've built. Something that looks different while relaying its purpose.

PLEASE NOTE: I will not be participating in any competitions in the foreseeable. It would be nice however to know if I have at least an entry-level/starter build should I decide to compete some day.

Here's what I have on my list so far, any input is appreciated (especially if you could your reasoning behind it):

LOWER:

XLR AR Tac stock. As this isn't going to be a duty/"combat" weapon I decided to go a different route than the usual Magpul offerings. XLR seems to have a good amount of adjustability while also have an option for a pic rail should I decide to go with a monopod (which would be from Accu-Shot).

Geiselle Super 42 spring and buffer. From their video, various internet posts, and brand reputation I felt this would be a good start point. If I do try somethig different I can always throw this into a different AR build.

Aero Precision "Freedom Edition" lower. AP lowers have always worked well for me, and I have had this in my parts collection waiting for a day to use it for a precision build.

Royal Arms International Tac grip. Saw this online, read what reviews I could find, and took a leap of faith on it. So far I am loving it.

Radian Talon safety. At first not having a flat side option seemed to be an issue, but turning the small level 180* allows proper functioning while using the RAI grip. I also find it to be a better indicator of the status of the safety's current position.

Gieselle G2S trigger. I've liked their SSA line, but I felt this would be a more economical starting point.

Law Tactical folding stock adapter. Not sure if this will adversely affect accuracy, but it will help with storage/transport by allowing me to keep the rifle assembled vs. breaking it down to fit into my range bag.

UPPER:

Currently a toss-up between a Radian Raptor SD charging handle or a Seekins DNA. Realistically it will be a few years down the road before I am able to get a suppressor, and currently the rest of the build is non-ambidextrous oriented.

Seekins Precision iRMT-3 upper reciever. I like the idea of the hand guard collar and upper being one piece.

AR15 Performance 18", 6.5 Grendel barrel. This was part of the deal I was offered earlier this year that kicked off this project. Rifle length gas, 1:8 5R hybrid rifling, 4150 CMV, melonited outer and inner coating, button rifled.

AR15 Performance 6.5 Grendel BCG. Also part of the deal I was offered.

SLR .750 adjustable gas block. Figure between the Super 42, Grendel vs. .223, and possibly suppressing at some point in the future this would help tune things.

AR15 Performance SVF Slim twisted flash hider. This was the final item in the deal I was offered earlier. Depending on performance I may switch it out with a Kaw Valley Precision linear comp.

Seekins Precision SP3R, 15" free float rails. I like the flat bottom design and have come to appreciate it on other rifles I've built.

Atlas PRS bipod. So far in the two years I've been using this I haven't found a single thing to complain about.

So that's my list so far. As I mentioned any input would be appreciated.

1.) There is no reason for the Geissele Super spring. The Tubbs flatwire lightweight will be much better for your uses.

2.) Might want to consider a Larue trigger if you can wait for price/performance. That said, good sales on Giesselle right now.

3.) The best charging handle I've ever used for a suppressor is the Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen II. Highly recommended.

Otherwise looks pretty damn good considering you already have some of these parts.

I built a shill em barreled 6.5 grendel and also bought a AA upper. I’ve shot them for 2 years in local benchrest gas gun matches. I’d think about the 6 turbo. It’s essentially a necked down 6.5 Grendel. My Grendel’s get out shot every month at 500 and 600 meters by the 6 turbos. I almost always beat the 2 guys in heavy and light gun but the 6 turbo is eating my lunch. I’d go 6 turbo. I’m going that direction eventually. Just my 2 cents

Larue has thier mbt trigger on sale now for $89 i believe. Its what i run on my grendel and im very happy with it.

Looks like a good plan/ list. I have the upper combo you're looking at. It's rock solid. My barrel is 20". It's been very accurate. The stock you listed is nice as well. I like mine more than the PRS that was on it a while back Had the rifle for a while and really enjoy it. Only thing changed in the pic below is that I went back to an Ergo grip.

Try as many triggers as you can if possible. This has had standard, RRA, Knights two stage, CMC, AR Gold, Triggertech, LaRue MBT, Geisselle's SSA-E & SD-E. Most have been sold off. I kept the Triggertech in it (my Grendel), but still have the AR Gold in another rifle. Elftmann isn't bad either. Trying a few if you can may save you some time and $$$.

Get yours built. I think you'll be happy, the Grendel is a good round.

20180727_202214_crop_995x465.jpg

Reactions: BA226