• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Long Range Rifle. Custom 308 from Desert Precision Gunworks.

YerrowSniper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2020
    Finally pulled the plug! Always wanted to get into 400 - 1200 yard shooting, finally doing it.
    Here are some of the objective and goals for this build, it must be a 308 as I am getting a 6.5CM and 6ARC on other platform. Obviously the rifle has to be a shooter, will potentially take it to competition but for now it will be mostly bench shooting. Here is the build:

Remington 700 SA Stainless Steel
    Bartlein MTU Contour 1:10 twist Stainless Steel about 26”
    5/8x24 Muzzle thread with Harrels Precision Tactical Muzzle Brake
    Blue Printing Action Chamber for 308 WIN Match. FL Reload Die and Modified Case
    Velocity Rem 700 Trigger Straight, probably will set at 1.5-2#
    Black Ice Coating, Teflon coating treatment on Rem 700 Reciever
    Bolt Handle threading 5/16x24
    MDT ACC Chassis
    MDT AICS Mags
    Atlas BT46
    Vortex PST Gen2 2-25, On a 20 MOA Scope Base. I don’t know the about the mount yet
    Will be spoting targets with Vortex HD 27-60x86 on a Manfrotto Befree Carbon Fiber Tripod

Load Dev:
    Will be using some once fired brass from a Scar17, I hate it, they call have a nick at the neck from the Scar, all brass are from Federal Ball, Ill practice on these before use Int my good brass. Got some Lapua, Nosler and Hornady new brass.

All the Federal Brass has been cleaned, trimmed to 2.000” +/- 0.001 with the Hornady trim thing, chamfer, debbur, primer pocket cleaned and uniformed using the RCBS Brass Boss.

For bullet I have the following in modest quantity: Sierra MK 168, Sierra MK 175, Hornady Match 168, Hornady ELD Match 179, until I found what the barrel like the most I bought a little bit of everything.

For primers all I could find was CCI BR Large Rifle

Powder I will use Shooters World Precision Rifle and H4350 (only problem is that they only had 1# cans... I got 10 cans, hopefully I won’t see too much variance)
    I will Charge the cases with a RCBS Charge Master, looks like I will be around 40ish gr

All this will be ran on a RCBS Rock Chucker with either a set of Redding Dies or the Custom Die from Desert Precision.

I will shoot for accuracy and will get velocities with a LabRadar!

There.
    What do you guys think?

It sounds like you have your plan now you must execute it. I would weigh the charges and your bullets with a good scale when loading but that’s just me. Most bullets aren’t the exact same so you can put the ones that weigh the same in groups with others of that weight. It only takes a little extra time and insures consistency.

It sounds like you have your plan now you must execute it. I would weigh the charges and your bullets with a good scale when loading but that’s just me. Most bullets aren’t the exact same so you can put the ones that weigh the same in groups with others of that weight. It only takes a little extra time and insures consistency.
    Good tip! Keep them coming guys!
    Is the scale on the ChargeMaster good enough or do I need to go buy a lab scale (half kidding)

I’ve been using a chargemaster, but am saving up for a lab type scale 🤷‍♂️

Why would you waste so much time and money on fixing a Remington action when so many excellent high end precision actions that share the same footprint are available today?

If I was going to build (or have built) a rifle from components, the last thing I would pick is a mass-market receiver to start with.

Why would you waste so much time and money on fixing a Remington action when so many excellent high end precision actions that share the same footprint are available today?

If I was going to build (or have built) a rifle from components, the last thing I would pick is a mass-market receiver to start with.
    Cause I don’t know what I am doing.

Maybe... what do you recommend as receiver?

There's too many good choices: Surgeon, Defiance, Zermatt, Lone Peak, and Impact seem to be the most popular brands here.

Again, don't make this choice on your own. See which custom actions your builder is comfortable working with. That's part of what you're paying him for.

Meh I’ll just go with that for now.
    On my next build I’ll get something more elaborate. Just getting my feet wet at this point.