• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Long Range Rifle SAVAGE 308

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
293zfpt.jpg

this is my first rifle build and i just wanted to see what everyone thought about it. Its not finished yet just started still thinkin of how to paint it and if i should.The scope is a swift 8x-32x,still need to get a 20moa set of rings,is has the factory 20'' bull barrel in 308.Did upgrade to the b&c stock.it shoots a nice group at 100 yards but have not got a load for 600 yards yet.The load i have for it is only running about 2100fps but it is good for a 100 yards.I also wanted to know if any one knows of a load that shoots good out of a 20'' barrel for long range using fed brass with 168gr smk moly HPBT should i step down to SMK 155 HPBT and/or go with a longer Barrel?
P.S how do i make tha pic smaller
they are three shoot groups on the targets @100yrds 2nd time out to the range 168gr moly HPBT 41gr of IMR 3031 fed brass
THANK YOU

Re: First Long Range Rifle SAVAGE 308

First of all... Ditch the moly... It decreases your velocity... Its also a total PITA to clean out of a gun... Believe me I made the mistake of running moly through my first gun... It took 3 range trips and 3 cleanings to get the bore spotless again.

I would recommend starting with 43grs of varget and working your way up with the 168gr pills. 44 is the sweetspot for me but ea. rifle is different. if you are going to go to 155 don't do the smk buy the lapua scenar it is a much better bullet ballistically.

There are quite a few things you could improve to get the most out of your rifle but it all depends on how serious you are about it and how much $$$ you want to spend.

Try to get your velocities up around 2600fps and if possible use 175's to get the most potential out of your bullets and barrel. With 175's and higher velocity you should have no problem at all getting out to 1000yds with your rifle.

I would suggest using a one piece 20MOA base instead of using slanted rings. The one piece base will give you extra strength and ensure repeatability shot to shot. Like I mentioned depending on how seriously you want to get into long range tactical shooting a good quality scope wouldn't be a bad idea either (Leupold/NF/USO/IOR etc.)

If you do your part and get a solid bed job, well loaded ammunition, and good quality optics and mounts, your Savage should easily shoot <1MOA groups out to 100yds all day long.

Just a few days ago I was consistently smacking a 8x18 piece of steel at 1050 yards with my Savage. The Savage rifles have the potential to shoot well there is no doubt about that.

n706119251_1723715_1629.jpg

i have a load that shoots sub moa at 100yards but would like to have a load for 600yrs and i know the scope i have now is not as good as some but it is a starter scope

Keep the moly if you like it. Don't over-clean your barrel.
Push your loads for the velocity you need. Do try the 155scenar. There are many good powders to try, but many use varget out of 20 inch barrels (with and without moly) to good effect. You should easily be able to work up to 2700fps with the 155scenar and get good 600 yard accuracy. Check out the reloading section for more.

I have a 23.5 in barrel and I run

175gr SMK
45 gr varget
lapua brass
CCI br2

30 feet above sealevel 2680fps. with a baro. of around 30.01
at 68 degrees.

I started my 155's out at 47gr of varget and they where moving at 2920fps.

I am shooting 43.5gr Varget and 175SMK and it works great for me at 100-600yds. I gotta get to a longer range...

There is nothing wrong with the B&C stock... for now. Like Luke said 20 MOA base and a bed job first.

BTW.. I was under the impression that the 24" barrel was standard?

If you think moly is best for you by all means use it. But if your gonna shoot moly stick to moly only.

Just curious, are you describing your rifle as an LR rifle because it's your intention to try it out for LR? I also wonder why you would want to take such a handicap to the LR firing line? I'd think, if you were serious about your fun, you'd look into what sort of equipment could make life easier at LR. You may want to step back and consider what it takes to get the job done. And, no, I'm not saying your rifle won't get a bullet to 1000 yards nose-on, just that your short barreled .308 is less than ideal for LR, no matter what division/class of competition.

thats why im going to stick with 300-600yards and slowly work my way out to 1000yrs and when i get the chance im going to go with a 30'' custom barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats why im going to stick with 300-600yards and slowly work my way out to 1000yrs and when i get the chance im going to go with a 30'' custom barrel</div></div>

Uh 30" barrel? That seems a little overkill for a .308. Why not just 26" barrel?

A 30" in barrel is gonna lose a good bit of stiffness compared to a 26" barrel.

Taken from Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels Site:
Ideal barrel for .308 Tactical Rifle Article
Look at the chart titled <span style="font-weight: bold">.308" caliber NBRSA Heavy Varmint taper barrel stiffness versus length table </span> It will explain the below statement.

The Deflection between 22" and 26" is minimal. But the Deflection from 26" to 30" is pretty substantial. So basically your increasing weight and losing a good bit of stiffness from 26" to 30".

All this negativity. Jamesz71, you have a nice mid-range rig right there, enyoy it and learn the game. Refine the rifle to get really good at 600 yards. Once you leanr the ways of this rifle and understand how it performs you will know what to do to go to 1000 yards.

Work on a load and reading the wind.

There are plenty of Palma shooters that have 30+ inch barrels and they don't seem to mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jray05stang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 30" in barrel is gonna lose a good bit of stiffness compared to a 26" barrel.

Taken from Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels Site:
Ideal barrel for .308 Tactical Rifle Article
Look at the chart titled <span style="font-weight: bold">.308" caliber NBRSA Heavy Varmint taper barrel stiffness versus length table </span> It will explain the below statement.

The Deflection between 22" and 26" is minimal. But the Deflection from 26" to 30" is pretty substantial. So basically your increasing weight and losing a good bit of stiffness from 26" to 30".</div></div>

It's all about velocity when the game is LR; and, since a well crafted 30 inch barrel of Palma taper can provide greater velocity with acceptable pressure, as well as provide for a very useful sight radius, that sort of barrel can come to the shooter's aid in ways not possible with a shorter one. Obviously, if length could be a "tactical" issue, a compromise will need to be found.

well you all make a good point,but you guys should keep in mind that this is my first
LR rifle build i will make mistakes

Savage put out a couple of preciscon rifles with 30 inche barrels. The bench rest Palma version and the one I'm interested in is a 12 F/TR versions,all in the .308 class. Must be a reason for the 30 inche barrel ?

go to a lr match, something that you would be interested ni doing yourself, and check out the competitors equipment. that will give you an idea of what you would be better suited to. talk to some folks there and make friends. maybe you will find someone that will let you shoot their rifle and teach you a few things about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well you all make a good point,but you guys should keep in mind that this is my first
LR rifle build i will make mistakes </div></div>

this is probably true, but so far you are doing well in seeking the advice of well seasoned shooters, use the mistakes they have made to keep from making your own. it really comes down to your preferance and what your are comfortable with, but at this point that info doesnt exist. that why i recommend shooting as many rifles as you can get your hands on before you spen a lot of your hard earned cash and get something you end up not being happy with. this sport is exspensive enoughas it is.

i go to the range on the days of matches so that i can talk to the guys after the match and so i can look and learn more about the sport and the rifle
was invited to shoot the 300yrd match this sunday. so i will see how i do at 300 yards for the first time
will be shooting
brass-fed
powder-41gr of IMR3031
bullet-168gr HPBT moly smk
primer-CCI no.200

sounds like you are on the right track then. its easy to get overzealous and spend a lot of money going after what you think you want and find otherwise. whatever you do, dont blow your whole wad on a rifle and not be able to get a decent scope.

Remember your fundamentals like breathing and trigger squeeze. The savages are shooters and you are off to a good start with this rig.

will have the money soon enough for a good scope letting my wife drag me on a criuse so she know im going to want something out of the deal

the targets at the top in the pic are from my 2nd trip to the range with this rifle and i
was shooting 3 shot groups
i think they look ok,but i was shooting @100 yards will put pics of the 300 yard match targets up if they do look to bad

I would have thought 41grs of 3031 would put you in the 2600fps area. How far from the weapon do you set your crono at?

2-3 feet
friend of mine said the same thing so not sure what's going on
will have to test a couple more rounds

O I am sure 30" barrels came in handy in the long range situation. But I would figure they would be more for a bench rest rifle than a rifle for more than one purpose. 30" would be awful long and front heavy shooting offhand. If I was ONLY shooting from prone or bench I would want a longer heavy contour barrel.

what i plan to use the rifle for is bench rest and prone shooting

Yea,30 inches is long,but how in the world did our forefathers with their 30 inches + git around? You seems to be leaning towards a tactial rifle,which may be what you want. And these are ONE shot rifles too. I am buying the extra gunsmithing that has to go into a target rifle. So no later,I've gotto to send it out to have this done......No,its all there.

Makes sense then. I didnt know he was leaning towards just a benchrest or prone rifle. Since he said this gun now is his first long range rifle, and he is gonna rebarrel it eventually with 30"custom, I figured he would want more of an all around rifle say in the 26" range. Because I would sure hate to lug around a 30" heavy barrel contour rifle with a heavier stock to compensate for the heavy front end of the barrel.

20" is capable at 1000. There is interesting chrono results available from even shorter barrels. Bullet choice is more important than barrel length these days. As long as the MV of the load/bullet hits the target velocity goal, it's irrelevant how long the barrel is.

TC

These are one shot heavy bench rest rifles for the F class and the Pamla class. Savage makes them and are availble to the market. I don't know,maybe a short 22 inch extra thick barrel with a magzine might be the way to go too.

most Wal Marts can order it for around $950 compared to $1200-$1350 from Savage

I also agree with CRUMPMD. If your gun likes moly shoot it. My Savage loves the 155 Scenar Silver Jacket. Shoots .20 to .35 at 100 yds. Best 600 yd group to date is 1.90" three shot group. and 2.3" ten shot.

still have to get a 20 moa base or a set of 20 moa rings to shoot out at 600 yards scope just doesnt have enough elevation, just shy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">still have to get a 20 moa base or a set of 20 moa rings to shoot out at 600 yards scope just doesnt have enough elevation, just shy </div></div>

Go with the 20 MOA base... Much more stable.

its a nice build man. i just finalized my savage 116 7mm rem mag with a 30" precision bull barrel by mcgowen. its given my much better accuracy than the 26" it had before. of course its mainly noticeable in the 1200 to 1400 yard range with about a 2" reduction in group size. but dont expect to carry it anywhere. im 6'4" and even i feel the weight. this was my first build too. my real advice is to make it yours. that will work way better for you than just blindly following everyones advice.i wish i had started with the 30" barrel. but somebody talked me out of it.